Menu

How long would it take a 6th grader to get through AAS Level 1... about?

:iagree: You can do it in less than 3 months. We started a week ago and have done a step a day. there are only 24 steps I think. Today I should have done less or skipped some words since my dd's both knew all of it anyway. Instead I foolishly tried to do it all and they got a bit fried. Once I realized and started skipping some words, it was too late and they'd had it! Now I think I should pay attention and skip words if they really know what is going on and aren't missing a beat.

Edited by walkermamaof4

I'm debating whether I should buy both Level 1 & 2 or just Level 1 to start with. If it's only going to take two or three months, I might as well get both.

Depends on what he knows, but I'd definitely order both--I'd guess he'd go through in 1-2 months, and maybe even less if he knows the material. You don't have to make him spell all of the easy words on lessons that are review, just make sure he understands the concept & can demonstrate it, and you can move on. Your main goal is to find gaps and fill them in for him.

Merry :-)

Do you need to start with level one? I picked out level two for my 9 yr old who is a struggling speller but has a good phonics base. Should I take her through 1 first?

It really depends on what she knows and where she struggles.

Here's a list of what Level 1 covers:

- How to say and write the first 32 phonograms

- How to segment words into their individual sounds

- Short and long vowel sounds

- Digraphs th, sh, and ch

- Segmenting words with blends

- Initial and final blends

- How to choose between c and k at the beginning of a word

- How to spell /k/ at the end of a word

- When to double f, l, and s

- Consonant team “NGâ€, “NKâ€

- Compound Words

- How to form plural words by adding s or es

- Open and closed syllable types

- How to identify and count syllables in a word

Segmenting is really important, if she leaves off sounds frequently in her spelling, I'd start there. Also know that all of the sounds for the first 32 phonograms are taught (for example, O has 4 sounds, CH has 3, S has 2 etc...)--not the spelling of words using all of those sounds, but that the phonograms can make various sounds--they'll need that info both for reading and for spelling later. Here's a link to their FAQ article about whether to start in Level 1 or Level 2. Hopefully that can help you decide. Some kids know a lot of what's in Level 1 but just need to fill in a few gaps. It really just depends on what your daughter knows already. HTH! Merry :-)

My 5th grade son flew through Level 1 in 3 weeks. We doubled up lessons and studied spelling everyday during that time. Because I knew I would be using the curriculum with my younger kids, I didn't consider the purchase of Level 1 a waste. It has some really important concepts in it that help with the rest of the levels. I don't think I would completely skip it.

By the way, he finished Levels 1 through 4 in less than a school year. AAS has GREATLY improved his spelling; I am very, very pleased! Be prepared to move quickly with your 6th grader and slow down when necessary. You might need more than 2 levels for the school year!

Patiently waiting for Level 5...

Jetta