Menu

What do you have for snacks at your house?

My fallback usually goes to fruit of some sort.

Maybe crackers/pretzels/cookies.

The only protein like snacks I can think of are cheese and peanuts. They are iffy on cheese and only 2/3 like peanuts.

I was thinking "what about peanut butter?"

Any favorite peanut delivery systems?

Any other protein-rich EASY/SIMPLE snack ideas??

My kids like to dip things in peanut butter...apples or pretzels usually. Or peanut butter on crackers.

Yogurt is good. In the summer I make popsicles with just yogurt, berries or other fruit and honey if it needs to be a bit more sweet. Sometimes I even give them those for breakfast and they love it.

peanut butter on celery sticks. peanut butter on apple slices.

almond butter on celery sticks! almond butter on apple slices!

cheese is also protein. Cheese on crackers. Cheese with apple slices. Cheese crackers.

Have them drink a glass of milk with the fruit you give them.

Give them some summer sausage on crackers.

There are more nuts than peanuts - how about mixed nuts? cashews? almonds? Try a trail mix with nuts in them.

Hope this gets the creative juices going.

We have gotten go-gurts at Costco lately - they love them and the whole thing gets eaten - unlike the yoplait containers. Did you know that they could be frozen? Good for hot days.

What kind of crackers do you like with peanut butter?

Bad mom - I don't even know if they like other kinds of nuts - I only like peanuts.

For protein, hard cooked eggs work wonders. Also keep bean dips around (mash your own beans, add light sour cream, salsa, and whatever spices you like.) We made humus tonight - garbanzo, lemon juice, garlic, salt/pepper. Or black bean dip. Go for it!

my daughter loves apple slices dipped in PB. my mom used to give me pears with peanut butter in the divot and i loved that. my kids like graham crackers dipped in applesauce. another friend of mine gives her kids cream cheese and graham crackers, which is really yummy.

The kids like PB right off the spoon and on toast.

I buy the Go Lean cereal from Costco. It has:

500mg Omega-3

9g protein

8g fiber

15g of whole grains

I have the kids make their own trail mix and tell them they have to mix the cereal and some nuts in. They also like to add dried fruit, chocolate chips, pretzels, cheerios and I sneak in the bottom of any bag of cereal.

I also chop up cheese sticks from a large block of cheese and finger sized roast sticks, pre-salted. Hard boiled eggs and frozen, low fat, pre-cooked breakfast sausage are a favorite! They also like Keifer and it is cheaper than yogurt.

At our house the rule is that you can have a PB spoon, apple or cheese anytime, because they are not too bad for your teeth. Other than that snacks are pretty limited.