Menu

Anyone make hummus? Can to share your recipe?

A secret to making the hummus "creamer" is to put either home-cooked or canned garbanzo beans into a large bowl of water in a sink. Then with the water from the faucet flowing gently, to roll the garbanzo beans between flat hands in the bowl (under water).

This way the skins will separate from the bean, and will either float on top of the water (so they can be scooped off) or will flow out of the bowl and into the sink.

it only takes a few minutes to accomplish this and you will get a smother consistency. You no doubt lose some valuable dietary fiber/roughage so I don't always remove the skins, but if your having guests or really don't like the texture of the skins, this is a good trick.

Bill

My favorite recipe came from www.allrecipes.com . I found small jars of tahini at Kroger for $5 and they last a long time. But, we also eat hummus often. And, I have been known to use the tahini instead of peanut butter on sandwiches.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hummus-III/Detail.aspx is the recipe I use for the base, then I adapt according to my tastes at the time. If you type Hummus into the search engine several other recipes come up.

I cheat because tahini is expensive

It is? Wow. I buy mine at a grocery store catering to Arabs, and pay less than $2 for a jar that lasts me (because I rarely use it) plenty long enough. There's a nice recipe for bread (it's sweet) with tahini swirled in it in Alford and Duguid's Home Baking that is very nice (although too strong when hot for my tastes). I've been meaning to make it....

I find that adding water (either regular old water or I suppose cooking liquid) to the hummus as you're blending it helps it not get too thick and allow the chickpeas to actually smoosh.

I cheat because tahini is expensive and so I don't keep it in the house, but I do keep sesame oil. So this is what I do: drain and rinse a can of garbanzo beans. Put them in food processor along with about 1T of sesame oil, a splash of lemon juice, and garlic to taste.

Yum.

Mine is similar because we don't buy tahini. One can garbanzos, reserve 1/2 cup liquid, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic.

I just made this hummus over the weekend:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Smoky-Chipotle-Hummus/Detail.aspx

I've been making hummus for years and my standard recipe and variations are:

1 - 15 oz. can chick peas, drained and rinsed

3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or finely minced

¼ cup lemon juice

¼ cup tahini

2 or 3 green onions, finely chopped

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

Throw it all in a food processor (best) or blender and mix until the chick peas are finely chopped and everything is well blended. Add small amounts of lemon juice (a teaspoon or 2 at a time) if the mixture is too stiff.

Note: A food processor really makes short work of this.

1. Variation with roasted red pepper

• Add about 2 of those large, triangle-shaped red peppers (from a jar or can) to the food processor with the rest of the ingredients.

2. Variation with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach

• Blanch about 5 or 6 sun-dried tomatoes. Add the blanched tomatoes and a handful of fresh spinach to the food processor with the rest of the ingredients.

I substitute natural peanut butter for tahini and it works great.

My recipe is essentially

1 can garbanzo beans (with about 1/2 the liquid)

couple tablespoons of natural peanut butter (adjust for taste)

couple cloves of garlic

lemon or lime juice

dash or two of cayenne

dash or two of cumin

fresh cilantro if I have it otherwise a little ground coriander

It never turns out exactly the same way twice so I encourage you to experiment.

Once hummus is lemony enough, if you still want it lighter (we like that), adding some chicken broth (Health Valley has good strong flavor) works out well. Some cumin and cracked black pepper are good, too.

Bob's Red Mill carries garbanzo bean flour and using their recipe, you can use this to make a super-creamy hummus. But usually we just use chick peas and the broth to make it smooth enough.

I really like hummus beiruti, which has chopped greenery in it. A lot of recipes you see online use parsley, but the local Lebanese restaurant uses jarjeer (arugula/rocket), which I think is *fabulous*. I also like a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds on top, or a few whole chickpeas; oh, and if I don't have jarjeer in it I like za'atar sprinkled over top..

.....I like za'atar sprinkled over top..

I also love za'atar sprinkled on top with olive oil and lemon. Our current batch was hand-carried from Palestine. We're not always so lucky, but friends from the region keep us pretty well supplied, and you can even purchase za'atar in local markets here now.

Bill

My hummous recipe:

1 clove garlic

2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained

zest and juice of 1 whole lemon

1 t. cumin

1 t. salt (if you use beans that have a lot of salt added reduce by 1/2)

3/4 C tahini

1/2 C water

Combine all in food processor and let run for 5 full minutes.

I like to serve with toasted pine nuts and a little olive oil drizzled over top.

We grow spicy oregano in our herb garden and dh and I like that over top. Tastes a lot like za'atar but too spicy for the kids.