Menu

To cut the binding or not and

I've found that the singapore workbooks bend very well. I've not seen a need on cutting those. BUT if I did, I'd probably just leave it the way it is and slip the whole thing in a page protector (to use as a folder pocket) and give out the loose leaf sheets as needed.

You have to be careful with the SOTW AG. Half of it is perforated. I had one spiral bound and the perforations were still in tact and it started coming loose. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have the teacher part spiral bound and the student pages 3 hole punched.

I bind my HIGs for SM. I actually use them now. I tried cutting the pages out of the workbooks, but since subsequent lessons are often on the back of a previous one, it didn't work when trying to put the lessons in my son's weekly assignment binder. So, I keep the WB intact.

I also had the bindings cut off of the SOTW AG. I just pointed out to the cutter at office max that the pages were perfed, and she cut at the perferation. Yes, there are a few pages where a few letters got cut on the subsequent 3-hole punch, but nothing that couldn't be deciphered well enough.

I stopped cutting the binding on my books. With things like singapore workbooks I just bend it down the middle so that the spine breaks, but not enough that it falls apart. With consumable workbooks I also just tear the pages out even if they aren't perforated. Works for us and is cheaper and easier.

One year I cut the bindings off the Singapore and had the text and workbook spiral bound together so both books were together. This year I've gone to a quaterly/weekly binder, so everything has had the spines cut off and then 3 hole punched.

With the SOTW AG, I had the spine cut, the teachers pages spiral bound and then the student pages 3 hole punched.

Of course, I spiral bind everything. It just makes life so much easier that way.

Edited by LunaLee
typo-that's what I get for typing with out coffee

When I'm going to give DS just a few pages at a time, I leave them unbound in a file pocket and then staple a "packet" together for the week or whatever.

For the SOTW AG though, I did 3-hole-punch the whole thing, since there was too much for a file pocket and we would have lost pages...

It depends on what I need to do with them.

With Easy Grammar, I 3-hole punched. I take the workpages I want them to do out and copy, so that is easier. Actually, those pages were perforated, so I didn't even cut the binding, I just tore them out and then hole-punched.

With WWE (same setup as SOTW activity guide), I spiral bound the teacher pages (along with the back cover), and 3-hole punched the student pages and put them in a binder. This way I can have the (much thinner!) teacher pages open on my lap, while I can take just that day's student page out for dd to work on, and plop it back in the binder when done. I have a tab divider so I know where to turn to each day.

I have used Singapore all the way from Earlybird and we're starting 6a soon. I have never seen the slightest need to mess with the binding - they're thin, so they open flat easily, and the binding they have is thinner and easier to store than a spiral or other binding would be. Not everything needs re-binding. :001_smile:

I have the binding cut and it all three holed punched on almost everything, especially if I plan in keeping the TG for my younger children. I even do it for consumable workbooks, because it just keeps them nicer looking throughout the year. It only costs a buck or two per buck.

I hate spiral binding...it just never seems to last, and when it does start to come apart, then the pages are "frayed". Plus the books aren't "firm", ie able to stand up in the shelf on their own.

My DH thinks I have a three-ring binder addiction, because I put almost everything possible into three-ring binders.

Unrelated response to your question but since I'm into cutting bindings off book myself, I'll throw this in. I always have my books' binding, SOTW AG's and such, cut at Staples. I notice though that when the binding is too thick they cut it on a slant and being the perfectionist that I am, this irritates me a great deal. I would have been better off with the whole intact book. Ever since I noticed this, I just leave my homeschool books as it is.

I always have my books' binding, SOTW AG's and such, cut at Staples. I notice though that when the binding is too thick they cut it on a slant and being the perfectionist that I am, this irritates me a great deal.

I first brought my books to Staples to be cut, and the woman there was refreshingly honest and said their machine didn't cut large bindings well and I'd be much happier if I went to Kinko's.

Kinko's did a fine job.

I have the binding cut and it all three holed punched on almost everything, especially if I plan in keeping the TG for my younger children. I even do it for consumable workbooks, because it just keeps them nicer looking throughout the year. It only costs a buck or two per buck.

I hate spiral binding...it just never seems to last, and when it does start to come apart, then the pages are "frayed". Plus the books aren't "firm", ie able to stand up in the shelf on their own.

My DH thinks I have a three-ring binder addiction, because I put almost everything possible into three-ring binders.

:iagree: Sprial binding drives me crazy! Comb binding is even worse!!

if you cut the bindings on your books do you get a spiral binding or just 3-hole punch and place it in a notebook. I'm thinking of getting the bindings cut on my Singapore workbook and maybe my SOTW AG.

I did e hole-punch/notebook with all my books--Easy Grammar, Miquon Math, WRTR, Considering God's Creation...anything that I was going to have to be using on a regular basis. I did it with student workbooks, too, because I had dc take the pages out and lay them flat on the desk to work on, then put them back in the 3-ring notebook.

I prefer 3 hole-punch/notebook to spiral because I use DayRunner page lifters/rulers to mark my place (or more than one place). Also, it's easier to remove pages to photocopy them.

You have to be careful with the SOTW AG. Half of it is perforated. I had one spiral bound and the perforations were still in tact and it started coming loose. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have the teacher part spiral bound and the student pages 3 hole punched.

This is what I plan to do.

I prefer to spiral bind my books so they can be flipped back and laid down on one side. This is especially handy in the van when the kids want to write but don't want the other side of the book bogging them down.

I love spiral bound for this reason.