Menu

Favorite camping recipes?

Wiener bean pot was good while we were camping. Little dinners in foil on the fire are good....And, my husband always makes these "pies" which the children love....(yuck for me...oh well) Anyway, white bread with butter on the outside...with fruit pie filling inside....I'm not sure what you'd use if you don't have a pie press. He has this press that you use....and hold over the fire. The pie is done when the outside is crispy looking.

Carrie:-)

we will have full use of the stove/oven in the camper.....I imagine we will need some easy meals for those days we go off somewhere. This place has a pool, basketball courts so we will stay put a lot of the time. mainly a time to RELAX and enjoy each other WITHOUT the phone, tv, computer and all the other daily interruptions.

Debbie

To plan food that is ready to eat with little work while I'm 'on vacation', I like to do some prep work ahead of time. Make chili, sloppy joe, taco meat, etc, put in a slow cooker bag and freeze inside a container the same size as my slow cooker. Pack in cooler and it is great to just plop the whole bag into the slow cooker in the morning and forget about it until it's time to eat. I let it thaw somewhat before heating.

Crockpot breakfasts can be assembled simply at night and ready in the morning, again, use the slow cooker bags for easy cleanup.

Another favorite breakfast -- heat water in pan, dip out water for instant coffee, cocoa, oatmeal, then cook scrambled eggs in ziplock bags. I brown sausage at home, I chop green onions(also for tacos), and put in ziplock bags. Put 1-2 eggs, touch of milk, salt, pepper, cheese, sausage, whatever, in a heavy duty ziplock sandwich bag, mush it up and drop in the boiling water. Little cleanup, & kids have fun making their own omelettes.

The chopped green onions, cheese, & salsa all serve as additions to breakfast eggs or evening tacos. If you get individual size Frito's then you can make 'walking tacos', open the bags and just dump all your taco favorites in, eat out of the bag & clean up by tossing the empty bag.

Can you tell I hate cleaning up & cooking when camping? If we're on vacation, I want to be on vacation too, even if it means extra work ahead of time.

And, my husband always makes these "pies" which the children love....(yuck for me...oh well) Anyway, white bread with butter on the outside...with fruit pie filling inside....I'm not sure what you'd use if you don't have a pie press. He has this press that you use....and hold over the fire. The pie is done when the outside is crispy looking.

If you have the pie makers, you can also make lunch/supper meals in them too. Just change the fillings: ham & cheese, pizza (sauce, cheese & favorite pizza toppings), philly sandwich fillings, sloppy joe, etc... I know some people who will try anything: hash, peanut butter & jelly, etc.

You can use your favorite bread, as long as it's a sandwich bread.

Edited by gardening momma
spelling

To plan food that is ready to eat with little work while I'm 'on vacation', I like to do some prep work ahead of time. Make chili, sloppy joe, taco meat, etc, put in a slow cooker bag and freeze inside a container the same size as my slow cooker. Pack in cooler and it is great to just plop the whole bag into the slow cooker in the morning and forget about it until it's time to eat. I let it thaw somewhat before heating.

Crockpot breakfasts can be assembled simply at night and ready in the morning, again, use the slow cooker bags for easy cleanup.

Another favorite breakfast -- heat water in pan, dip out water for instant coffee, cocoa, oatmeal, then cook scrambled eggs in ziplock bags. I brown sausage at home, I chop green onions(also for tacos), and put in ziplock bags. Put 1-2 eggs, touch of milk, salt, pepper, cheese, sausage, whatever, in a heavy duty ziplock sandwich bag, mush it up and drop in the boiling water. Little cleanup, & kids have fun making their own omelettes.

The chopped green onions, cheese, & salsa all serve as additions to breakfast eggs or evening tacos. If you get individual size Frito's then you can make 'walking tacos', open the bags and just dump all your taco favorites in, eat out of the bag & clean up by tossing the empty bag.

Can you tell I hate cleaning up & cooking when camping? If we're on vacation, I want to be on vacation too, even if it means extra work ahead of time.

Slow cooker bags! What a brilliant idea!!!! The hardest part of camp cooking is the clean up so i really appreciate this tip.

put in a slow cooker bag...

and put in ziplock bags. Put 1-2 eggs, touch of milk, salt, pepper, cheese, sausage, whatever, in a heavy duty ziplock sandwich bag, mush it up and drop in the boiling water.

If you get individual size Frito's then you can make 'walking tacos', open the bags and just dump all your taco favorites in, eat out of the bag & clean up by tossing the empty bag.

Oh my goodness...clean up is my Achille's Heel of camping. These are absolutely fabulous ideas! I am so.doing.this. Thank you!

Foil dinners are our favorite camping meal.

:iagree:

Our favorite is what we call "Hobo Packs" You can make one big one if you can find "hot bags" or you can make individual ones with alum. foil. You can probably let the kids help:001_smile:. Put in whatever meats and veggies your family likes. We like sausage, beef (cubed), and chicken (cut up). For veggies we like corn, carrots and potatoes, but yoy could add pretty much anything. Put the food in the bag and pour in a bunch of marinade (we like Dale's or Moore's). Then put it on the grill and let it cook until done. It is sooo yummy and very little clean-up. My dh has made this on a "guy campout" with friends. One of the other wives cut up lots of meat and veggies and put in a cooler so all they had to do was put what they wanted in their packs.

Happy camping!

Okay, I usually camp with a bunch of medieval re-enactors, and our kitchen is a carport tent with several propane stovetops and a brick oven we build on-site.

For lunches we usually have a cooler of sandwich stuff, because in the heat of the day relatively few people want hot stuff. Leftovers from previous nights' meals also go in the cooler, just in case someone does.

Breakfasts that are most popular are corned beef and potatoes (real corned beef, not canned stuff), and french toast. We also bring lots of quick breads for late-risers (it's a college group so you have some kids who go out and party) or early-departures (also lots of people who volunteer and have to zip out of camp first thing in the morning). Instant oatmeal, coffee, cocoa, and teas are all made compliments of a pot of hot water.

For dinners we don't want to spend a lot of time on, soups can be made ahead of time and brought in ziplock bags. We do a lot of scratch cooking onsite, though. Armored turnips are probably my all time favorite 'camp food'. They're made by layering slices of peeled turnip with cheese, salt, and pepper. Very yummy.

If you get individual size Frito's then you can make 'walking tacos', open the bags and just dump all your taco favorites in, eat out of the bag & clean up by tossing the empty bag.

On a recent girl scout camping trip we made foil hobo packs with pre-cooked and diced chicken or beef, veggies, and precooked potato. Didn't have to cook them long. We forgot the BBQ sauce, but a little of that would have made them more moist. Still very good!

But I LOVE the idea of the "walkin' tacos"!! Especially for a bunch of kids. I am SO doing that next time!!:D

We have the pie makers- we use canned biscuits instead of bread. The kids press a biscuit into one side of the pie maker and fill it with what ever you have. We make breakfast ones with cinnamon and sugar, cream cheese and jelly, or pre cooked scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon bits. Lunch and dinner ones have pizza toppings, ham and cheese, just cheese, or leftovers from the night before. THen flatten out another biscuit and lay it on top, pinch the sides, and put the other part of the pie cooker on and cook over the fire. Don't forget to spray the inside of the pie maker with a little butter of pam so it does not stick.

SHeri

Sheri