Menu

Spelling Workout - opinions - other options?

chessrascal

I've just been reading "The Well-Trained Mind" for the first time (sadly, I wish I had read it earlier) and it recommended "Spelling Workout". The copy of the book was from 1999 and I wondered if there were new recommendations or if this is still the best way to go for reinforcing spelling rules. Thank you for any opinions. Janet M.

Spelling Workout 1999 is the Sports Edition, the newer editions are the same information just different format. But I suggest investigating for yourself what is the best way to study spelling, we recently dropped Spelling Workout and went to Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks (www.shoelacebooks.com) but only after I decided I wanted to know why we were studying the subjects we were and what the best approach would be and the best time to study them. We used Spelling Workout successfully, the only thing that changed my mind was learning more about how a child learns and what is the most effective method for spelling instruction.

I really wish someone would have said this to me in the beginning.

It works for us. My daughter is a natural speller and I don't know if that makes any difference. I think she would do well with any program. I like it because she knows what to do each day and does it independently. She's in the 6th grade now, and has been using it since she was in the 2nd.

HTH!

We use Spelling Power because my daughter is a natural speller and really likes only having to work on the words she doesn't already know how to spell. It's nice that it's one book that should last her throughout her schooling (for those with multiple children, it's non-consumable).

I have one natural speller, one who still struggles with spelling, and one somewhere between the two. Spelling Workout seems to work with each of them. I especially like the word root study in the upper levels.

When the kids begin book F, I use it as a vocabulary program, too. On test day, I call out the defiintions of the words rather than the spelling word. The kids must know the definitions cold or they won't know which spelling word to write. This has really helped them not only learn the spelling but also the meaning of the words in each lesson.

Cathy

(with kids currently in Spelling Workout E, G, and H)

In the 2nd edition of TWTM, SWB still recommends SWO. There's nothing wrong with the program, and many here still choose it as their spelling curriculum. However, after reading through the scope and sequence provided by Rod & Staff, I chose to use their spelling program. I found the new concepts and continual review of phonetics, building words, and dictionary skills to be more in line with my goals in spelling.

We are using SWO and will continue to do so. The sequence makes sense to me and my daughter's spelling, which was pretty good to begin, has improved across all subjects. It is a workbook approach but any mistakes allow for discussion of those things that need to be discussed.

with my 7 yo son. He is a natural speller, so it's not really an issue. I do agree with others that it seems a little "busy work-ish".

I'm very curious about the Simply Spelling program. I looked at the website, but would like a little more info. If you're using it, how did you hear about it?

(Should I start a different thread to ask that question? I'm not sure on board/hijacking etiquette.:o)

What I've learned from my research, please do your own and not depend solely on mine :) :

The reason for this is before 3rd grade most children are still working on learning to read or building reading fluency. Spelling is most effectively taught when a child starts to put their thoughts on paper, before then spelling rules are an abstract concept to learn before solid phonic instruction is finished.

By using the time before 3rd to focus on reading and phonics instruction, you are solidifying how to read which does effect (to a certain extent) how words are spelled. By the time a child is in 3rd, 4th grade (and reading well!) they are better able to handle abstract concepts such as spelling rule exceptions. They have been exposed to many words through their own reading, reading aloud and in their phonics instruction and are ready to tackle spelling. I see it as building blocks and once I read about all this from Ruth Beechick, Christine Miller, the Bluedorns, Laura Berquist, other articles about language acquistion and learning to read and spell.

Also read a little about short term and long term memory, especially in the scope of spelling. Just think back to how you learned your spelling words in school- in my experience I wrote my spelling words on flashcards and drilled myself until test time (plus whatever homework I had to do in spelling). I aced spelling tests but when a cumulative test was done I had to drill myself again with the flashcards with all the possible words from prior weeks. I figured there must be a more effective way to learn, esp. since I was starting to do the same thing with my own dd7 with Spelling Workout.

Hope this helps

I used Spelling Workout all the way through for my older son. I've also been using it with my younger son and he's finishing up level F right now. Since I only have two more levels to go with him, I do intend to finish up using this series.

But I do also like the look of Simply Spelling a lot. For younger children, I think it does a better job of teaching children how to break words into syllables in order to spell them; provides better, more concise spelling rules; and also provides copywork practice. I have not looked at the upper levels of it to see if it turns into a word study, or vocabulary program, in the way that SWO does.

(What a good idea, Cathy, to call out the definition! I'm *definitely* doing that next year!)

Regena

I realized I wanted something that:

1. Taught spelling rules, including suffixes/prefixes, punctuation and usage within context

2. Did not rely on non-essential exercises to make a lesson: such as crossword puzzles, word finds and fill in the blank exercises which really do not engage a child

3. would allow us to make the best use of our time spent learning spelling

I'm pretty sure I asked the board a question about spelling a month or two ago and someone said they used studied dictation which is a Charlotte Mason technique to teach spelling but I wanted something more structured.

I looked at online samples of Spelling Wisdom by Simply Charlotte Mason, Spelling through Copywork by Queen Homeschool and finally found a winner in Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks which someone had said they used as a way to apply studied dictation in their homeschool. We now have a spelling program which we'll start next year and we'll use it until we finish it.

Hope this helps

Level G uses the Declaration of Independence as the basis of lessons 3-7

Here's Lesson 6.

Remember the selection is to be used as copywork each day and there is one focus for instruction each day after the copywork is done. On the fifth day is dictation.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpation, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

Day 1: Find usurpation and despotism in your dictionary. Write the word, the syllables, and the definition.

Day 2: Write invariable. Re-write the word but change the e to y. Look the word up in the dictionary. Write it in syllables.

Day 3: Write evinces. Find it in your dictionary. Write the definition.

Day 4: Write design. Cross out the silent letter. What sound does the s have?

Day 5: Dictation.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this will be our spelling program.

Spelling Workout did not work for us.

For my average speller, Spelling Workout was busywork. At the end of the year, he tested exactly where he had been spelling-wise a year previously. Also, the word lists seemed random, with no vowel patterns or the "why" of the spelling. Spelling Workout was of no help to my struggling speller. Ultimately using "Megawords" for vowel patterns and syllibication rules, plus individualized spelling using "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" for spelling rules, and "Natural Speller" for word lists, has worked for us.

If you have a natural speller, and you would like spelling to be an independent activity, Spelling Workout may be a good choice for you; it works well for many people here. Alas, not for us.

Spelling Workout is working very well with both of my DDs. I like that they can do the work independently. DDs actually enjoy the crossword puzzles, word finds, riddles, etc. It makes spelling a fun subject for them while they are reviewing their list words. I also like the editing section included with each of lessons. It reinforces puncutation, capitalization, and spelling. I can see the benefit of the extra practice in these areas in my oldest DD's writing (currently in SWO E). There are other topics such as alphabetical order, splitting words into syllables, and probably a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head that are included from time to time that I would forget to include in our LA if they weren't in the books. Overall it's a great fit for our family.

About Simply Spelling--this does look interesting. We're in SWO C, it's going well--but I can't say that DS loves it. He's a "natural" speller, I guess--he usually only misses one or two of the list words to begin with, and doesn't miss any on the retest. We don't do any drilling whatsoever, just let him do the workbook exercises on his own.

Does Simply Spelling replace regular copywork? Most days in earlier levels just say to write one word--is that really enough spelling--seems like that would take, oh, two seconds. Did I miss something? Can you please describe how you would implement this at the 1st or second level (whatever would be equivalent to SWO D).

We used Spelling Workout the last few years. While we liked it, it was alot of busy work. However, if you like the workbook approach, IMO, it's a great program. We have recently switched to Spelling Power and I love it! I wish I had found it a long time ago. I also like that I can use it for all the kids at the same time and it's non consumable.

I realized I wanted something that:

1. Taught spelling rules, including suffixes/prefixes, punctuation and usage within context

2. Did not rely on non-essential exercises to make a lesson: such as crossword puzzles, word finds and fill in the blank exercises which really do not engage a child

3. would allow us to make the best use of our time spent learning spelling

I'm pretty sure I asked the board a question about spelling a month or two ago and someone said they used studied dictation which is a Charlotte Mason technique to teach spelling but I wanted something more structured.

I looked at online samples of Spelling Wisdom by Simply Charlotte Mason, Spelling through Copywork by Queen Homeschool and finally found a winner in Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks which someone had said they used as a way to apply studied dictation in their homeschool. We now have a spelling program which we'll start next year and we'll use it until we finish it.

Hope this helps

Yep, that's what we do. I use the models in Simply Spelling and apply CM's studied dictation techniques. It's really the best of both worlds. I get the CM method, but I've got the models all picked out for me with increasing difficulty and high frequency words. And as a bonus, I get word study and "language arts" type exercises that I'm not getting anywhere else. I teach grammar through Latin, so Simply Spelling is a nice way for me to avoid any gaps. It's quick; it's easy; it's effective.

Beth,

I'm beginning to think maybe I should just generate an automatic "Me, too!" after all your posts - :p!

Rhonda

In the 2nd edition of TWTM, SWB still recommends SWO. There's nothing wrong with the program, and many here still choose it as their spelling curriculum. However, after reading through the scope and sequence provided by Rod & Staff, I chose to use their spelling program. I found the new concepts and continual review of phonetics, building words, and dictionary skills to be more in line with my goals in spelling.

We are on Spelling Workout C and really enjoy it. For me, the crossword puzzle and "riddles" are reinforcers, not busywork. I consider copying your words over and over busywork. (But I make dd do that, too, on occasion! lol)

I also looked at Simply Spelling, and at several other programs. Everyone gets to make their own choice--yea! I wanted more practice in the phonics rules than SS provided.

I did want a little more explicit phonics work, so we added in Adventures in Phonics C. We are very slowly working thru this program. It is very orderly and sequential. Right now we do a page about 4 times a week. This past two weeks, we have learned the rules for adding suffixes to words that end in "Y"--I've learned more than I did in elementary school! It's really helped my daughter's spelling. We've been pleased how one resource reinforces the other--sometimes we are working with the same words.

I also like SWO because of the proofreading at the end of every lesson. And, I love the opening "essay"--we don't use the sport version, instead opting for the other one, which has very engaging beginning sections. I have dd read this aloud to me. It sort of reminds me of those reading cards (SRA) we used to do in school.

Ymmv, as usual, but I'm sticking with SWO!!

(Beside, Laura in VA uses it, and I really like her.)

We've done Spelling Workout from the beginning - but you will have to choose what works for you (no program is a "be all, end all program").

I had a terrible speller and thought SWO was not working early on. I realized the benefits of the program, but decided to supplement SWO with AVKO's program. AVKO was a great help in that it taught by word families (cat, rat, sat... begin, begins, began, beginning...) and gave my child confidence in spelling big words early on. We now only "do" SWO.

Spelling Workout not only teaches spelling, but, vocabulary, proofreading/editing marks, logic and has a creative writing prompt in each lesson. It is well worth the effort to "kill 4 birds with one stone" by working through it for only 20 minutes per day.

We did SWO A - D in 1 - 4 grades, then doubled up by doing E & F in 5th grade and will finish G & H in 6th grade.

Kay,

I just dropped SWO C with dd7 month before last (?) and we're going to start with Level A. I'll give you the first and last lesson of Level A and I do recommend 3rd & 4th graders start in Level A, esp. if dictation is a new concept.

Lesson 1

Barber, barber, shave a pig. How many hairs will make a wig? (Remember, the bolded part is copywork each day, plus instruction below for each day.)

Day 1: When there is one vowel in a word, it usually says its short sound. Look at the word pig. It has one vowel and it says the short sound.

Day 2: When a word ends in two consonants that are alike, we say the first one and the second one is silent. Look at the word will. It has two l's, only one is heard.

Day 3: A sight word is a word that has vowels in it that steal the sound of other vowels. This is why they are also called "rule breakers". Look at the word many. It is a sight word and a "rule breaker". Why is it a "rule breaker"?

Day 4: A syllable is part of a word. We can divide a long word into syllables to help us sound it out. Each syllable must have a vowel sound. There are five different ways to divide a long word. One way is divide between two consonants that are not alike. Write this word in syllables- bar ber

Day 5: Dictation

Lesson 29 of Level A, last lesson

Birthdays

Monday's child is fair of face,

Tuesday's child is full of grace,

Wednesday's child is full of woe,

Thursday's child has far to go,

Friday's child is loving and giving,

Saturday's child must work for a living;

But the happiest child of all, they say,

Is the child who is born on the week's first day.

Day 1: When ing is added to love, give, live, and smile, the e is dropped. Most words ending in e drop the e when adding ing. Write these words, first without the ing and then with the ing.

Day 2: Write in syllables: hap pi est

Day 3: The apostrophe and the letter s ('s) are added to the name of a person or thing to show that something belongs to that person or thing. What belongs to Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday? Thursday? Friday? Saturday? Practice writing these words using the apostrophe s.

Day 4: Words having the apostrophe and s added to them to show that something belongs to them are called possessives. What belongs to the week's first day?

Day 5: Dictation

From quickly flipping through Level A this is what is covered:

contractions, apostrophes, personification, plural, singular, quotation, exclamation mark, paragraphs, along with spelling rules along with daily copywork and dictation once a week.

I hope this helps Kay, this is the last lesson I'm typing out! ;)