Menu

Need helping planning school for 2 bored children!

Wee Pip

Here's the thing: just brought a preemie baby home from NICU & we're all adjusting. I'm pumping breastmilk, which is a full time job all by itself! Dh would like kids to keep going with school, plus they are driving me crazy with nothing to do. Their schoolwork is too mom-intensive for me to continue with it this summer. We need to do something that -

1. keeps up with current skills - math, reading, writing - maybe even some independent science/history? 8yo needs to learn multiplication tables, 6yo could be working on addition/subtraction facts. They both could develop their writing skills a bit more.
  2. needs to be completely independent. I absolutely cannot teach or direct this right now.
  3. is cheap. We're going to have 1 whopping hospital bill to pay (I was hospitalized for 2 weeks & baby was in for 1 month - I imagine the bill will be as big as a house). Use of library, internet, & super cheap resources a must.
  4. Yes, we are making them help around the house & housekeeping.

So...what would you plan for your kids to do?

I like the American Girl site for fun history stuff.

Free Rice .com has multiplication tables to drill, and it donates rice at the same time.

How about games? Card games like War (call it something else if you want) help teach more/less, and you can put down two cards at a time and have the kids add them and then see who has more. Play one child against you at a time, and you could drill addition with one and multiplication with the other.

Reading aloud will get you far, but could your older one read to the younger one?

Books on tape? SOTW or other resource.

Can the baby go for a walk? You can do nature study of a sorts.

Maybe a book of experiments that your hubby could help set up/gather materials for, and you could let them loose during the day? They could report back to him. I like the Van Cleave books and they are at most libraries.

A few educational videos wouldn't hurt, right? lol

How about "free art?" Set the rules for paint, and make T-shirts with fabric paint and stamps. If you speak very seriously to them, could they handle keeping things reasonably together? Scratch art is fun, and so is making cards. Combine some writing with art, and send a card to someone you know who might write back (maybe a grandparent, neighbor, or even Dad at work!)

Can you sit outside with the baby yet? They could splash in the pool (little) or garden a bit (mess with a big pot and some plants like tomatoes).

I'm sure you'll get lots more ideas.

Edited by Chris in VA

Congratulations!

My kids really like this site to work on their math facts. I know there are several others online as well - all free.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/math-trainer-addition.html

It seems like a good time to work on typing.

Dance Mat typing is a fun and free online site for younger children.

I would have them keep a daily journal for writing practice. It would be great for the children to look back on when the baby is older.

We use the Mead composition books (super cheap at places like Wal-mart) that have lines on the bottom half and space for a picture on the top half.

If you would prefer a curriculum - Draw Write Now is easy for kids to use without any parent involvement and you would only need one or two books. They are usually for sale on the WTM swap board for $6 or $7 dollars. And they follow themes so you could get a bit of history or science in as well.

Best of luck!

I'd suggest lots of books, audiobooks and videos from the library. You could make a checklist and have them read/watch/listen to a certain number per day. I don't know if this will work for you, but DS enjoys math games at http://www.coolmath4kids.com/ and there are free worksheets for various subjects at http://www.learningpage.com/. You need to do the free registration to get to the neat "themed funsheets" on different subjects (math, language arts, science) for grades PK-3rd.

Congratulations on your new little blessing!

BTDT!

Summer Bridge Activity Books would keep them up with the current skills and are fairly independant and cheap. Raid the library for books on history/science topics and have them available in a book basket. Collect science supplies or invest in a science kit. Collect crafting supplies or invest in a craft kit or Klutz book- the one on friendship bracelets immediately came to my mind because for a little cost ( thread) you will get hours and hours of busy girls. Flash cards for memorizing math facts and a few educational games.

Each day have them do the Summer Bridge page for the day + do something in history and science+review math facts+ play an educational game. The something in history/science could be read a book, act out a skit, do an experiment, play a game, etc. Have DH review their summer bridge page and tell him what they did for history/science that day each night.

Congratulations on your new little one! She be a nice fat baby in no time!

I had one of those preemies too! Mine was 11 weeks early, 2.3lbs and in the NICU for 7 weeks. Yep, you'll get a whopper of a bill, but that precious baby...oh the joy of watching her grow! Bless your heart!

No suggestions for school, just wanted to congratulate and encourage you. Those tiny ones are kind of scary but like a pp said, she'll be fat and happy in no time!:D

:grouphug:

Does you library have overdrive? These are audiobooks you can download through the library. They have a good selection for kids.

I 2nd something like Flashkids, they are at Barnes & Noble, and cheap (don't forget teacher discount).

How about some dominoes for play, games, and math.

Drill each other with flashcards.

Congratulations on your new little one!

Have you heard of workboxes? Here's a thread with some information and ideas. Basically, you put out boxes/envelopes of materials for the kids so they are able to naturally progress through the tasks at their own pace. You could include workbooks, art projects, science experiments, etc. It would take some time to set-up each day, but it's one burst of energy to pull it all together, rather than trying to manage coming up with things on the fly.

I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm about to have a baby in a couple of weeks, and this is how I'm planning to arrange things for the big kids so they have something to occupy themselves and a sense of fun while I'm babymooning. We'll be including a wide range of things including workbooks, games, audio books, videos, outings with Dad, nature 'assignments' (e.g. go in the back and collect 10 pill bugs), read-alongs, science experiments, art projects, internet sites to visit, chores, etc. I'm really looking forward to it, and think the kids will adore it!

Some things you may be able to find at your library:

Schlessinger media dvds/videos on history and science. I find these a bit dry at times, but my dc LOVE them, and they really retain the material. Go figure.

Magic School Bus videos and books. These are a fun jumping off point and are probably around the right reading level for one or both of your children.

Usborne internet linked anything..... If you choose a topic that your dc are already interested in, these will have internet links that are pre-screened so you don't have to do much work on your end.

If your library is running a summer reading program, see what free activities are available.

If you are lucky enough to have folks stopping by to help out with the baby, maybe they can be persuaded to do some one-on-one reading or other projects with the older kids. HTH!

At 8 and 6, I don't think I would trust them with free art or science experiments, no matter how seriously you speak to them.

I'd suggest having them read for x minutes every day on their own. Books on tape/ CD. Educational tv/ dvds? Not sure how mature their tv tastes are, but my kids hve learned a lot from Diego :o and Magic School Bus. Cyberchase. Not sure how advanced the six year old is, but Leap Frog dvds, Reading Rainbow, and Between the Lions are always popular. And lots of Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, etc.

Honestly, I think the bigger problem is keeping them occupied and out of your hair. Education has got to take a backburner for them right now. You have your hands more than full.

A few computer programs, to work on times tables, perhaps. Maybe if you wrote Time4Learning, they might give you guys a summer scholarship?

Couple cheap workbooks? Like the Complete series?

Honestly, I think the bigger problem is keeping them occupied and out of your hair. Education has got to take a backburner for them right now. You have your hands more than full.

QUOTE]

I completely agree that I would put their education on the backburner for now. Start summer vacation a little early and let them run around outside a lot.

I'm not a big fan of having children watch TV, but if I were in your situation, my children would be watching a lot of TV and videos. Do what you need to do for now. You'll have plenty of time for education later. Your children are all very young still.