Menu

Grapes of Wrath had me bawling -- anyone else read this as an adult?

I am re-reading The Grapes of Wrath. I've been lying awake at night feeling burdened by this book. I can't get Ma Joad, Tom, Grandma, and Rose of Sharon and their struggles out of my mind.

I find myself thinking of Ma Joad during the day and I'm reminded to be thankful. The part where Ma picks up the crow bar and announces that she'll beat the _______ out of anyone who breaks up her "fambly" had me in tears.

I keep thinking of Rose of Sharon and Connie and their lack of education/opportunity and feel so thankful to be educating my boys.

And all those proud, hard-working men, forcing themselves to practically beg for work, and then earning almost nothing.

I can't think of another book that so clearly illustrates the plight of the desperately poor in America. Angela's Ashes has similar themes, but, of course, isn't an American story.

Anyone else have a strong reaction to this book? If you have a teen who has read it recently, what what his/her reaction?

I read it last year for the first time since skimming it for credit in high school. I loved it! I found it affecting and poignant, but what I enjoyed most was the strong theme of Christ imagery that I totally missed as a child. Interesting how you read something so differently after some time...

I also read it last year (for the first time), and it still haunts me sometimes... the end especially. I love Steinbeck. He is an amazing author who is truly able to reach into the souls of his characters and share them in the most poignant ways with the reader.

Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden are two of my all-time favorites.

Yup. Vivid images from East of Eden hovered around in my mind long after I finished reading it, too. I have yet to find anyone else who enjoyed that one, though.

I think it's amazing, and I cry every time I read it. My niece read it recently at school, and she and her mom were complaining what a "downer" it was, way too depressing, etc. They both adored Twilight, tho, and spent an awful lot of time gushing over that one, how great the writing was, for example. It took a lot for me not to laugh at them.

I've been biting my tongue during Twilight conversations lately, too! I've frequently heard it compared to Pride and Prejudice. :confused: I find myself stunned by those remarks.

I know I sound like a book snob, but after reading someone like Steinbeck, it's always a struggle to find my next book.

Which contemporary authors compare to Steinbeck? Anyone have some suggestions for me?

I read it for the first time a year ago and was very moved by it as well.

I do have to admit one thing - I hated the ending! (Where is that hiding under a chair smiley?)

I mean, come on! a young girl nursing some scruffy, dying old man? :ack2: I don't think so!

So, am I missing something with that ending?

So MANY of the books that I read in highschool I didn't appreciate until I was an adult!!!! I didn't even like To Kill A Mockingbird in highschool!!! Sigh. It was almost like I assumed it was going to be bad if I HAD to read it. :confused:

I adore Mockingbird now!!!! Absoultely adore it!!!!!

Anyone else have a strong reaction to this book? If you have a teen who has read it recently, what what his/her reaction?

I read it as a teenager and despised it! (And I'm wondering if that word isn't strong enough.)

I haven't been able to bring myself to read it as an adult. . .

...the documentary pieces that Steinbeck wrote about life among migrant workers that was the background material for your book. Wow, if you thought Grapes of Wrath was emotional, read the other one--"The Harvest Gypsies." It shows that actually Steinbeck really pulled his punches in GOW.

My favorite work by Steinbeck is "The Moon Is Down." It is almost indescribable. It contrasts democracy and facism in an extremely skillful way. I don't want to say any more about it or I will spoil it, but read it. Seriously!

I read this wonderful novel my first year of college. If I remember correctly, I read it straight through. That was back when I had the stamina to do such a thing! It moved me and made me grateful. It is a book that has stayed with me and definitely deserves a reread!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

...the documentary pieces that Steinbeck wrote about life among migrant workers that was the background material for your book. Wow, if you thought Grapes of Wrath was emotional, read the other one--"The Harvest Gypsies." It shows that actually Steinbeck really pulled his punches in GOW.

My favorite work by Steinbeck is "The Moon Is Down." It is almost indescribable. It contrasts democracy and facism in an extremely skillful way. I don't want to say any more about it or I will spoil it, but read it. Seriously!

Pulled his punches in Grapes of Wrath? That's hard to imagine. I'll have to find a copy of The Harvest Gypsies. I also have not read "The Moon is Down, but will have to find it.

I believe I feel a Steinbeck kick coming on.

I can see "East of Eden" on the bookshelf across the room right now....