Menu

Purses confuse me!!!

I need a "going out" purse. I like clothes- I have a good feel for fashion. I'm even starting to appreciate variety in shoes. But purses baffle me. I think the current trend in purses are all ugly. Especially those hobo things, and Coach, etc. I'm not flashy. All the fabrics seem to be gaudy to me.

I currently carry a small canvas black tote with my monogram in black on the side. For daily use, this is fine. I need the space for planning notebooks, books, etc. But I need a good purse to carry on social outings. Not a clutch for fancier occassions, something in between canvas and bling.

Any suggestions? I've been looking, but I'm lost.

Jo

ps- I've been looking on endless.com because of the free shipping. Any website suggestions are appreciated.

You've picked some nice bags. I was thinking that a simple leather bag would work well. Try TJMax and Marshals. They have many bags. I also find a bright color fun for a bag since my clothes tend to be dark. Happy shopping.

I only own one brown leather and it goes with everything. I have very specific requirements for a purse. It must have an open top. I don't want to have to be messing with opening and closing it. I just reached in for what I need or just drop whatever into my purse. It must have three outside pockets. One big one on one side that holds my coin purse and two small ones on the other side, one for my keys and one for my cell phone. The inside holds my wallet, checkbook and small calender. It must also have a zipper compartment for personal items. It took me two years to find my last one. My only complaint is that it weighs five pounds empty. If I could find a lighter version I would gladly trade it in but as I said it is very hard to find one that meets my requirements. First thing you have to do is figure out what your requirements are then they will be easier to fill. (well, hopefully).

I only own one brown leather and it goes with everything. I have very specific requirements for a purse. It must have an open top. I don't want to have to be messing with opening and closing it. I just reached in for what I need or just drop whatever into my purse. It must have three outside pockets. One big one on one side that holds my coin purse and two small ones on the other side, one for my keys and one for my cell phone. The inside holds my wallet, checkbook and small calender. It must also have a zipper compartment for personal items. It took me two years to find my last one. My only complaint is that it weighs five pounds empty. If I could find a lighter version I would gladly trade it in but as I said it is very hard to find one that meets my requirements. First thing you have to do is figure out what your requirements are then they will be easier to fill. (well, hopefully).

I get you. I respect your self-awareness in bag functionality. I completely understand the requirements of a bag. And my everyday bag would probably be described as utilitarian. I am soooooo okay with that. I have mourned the lack of separate outside pockets in my current bag. I recognize the value of separate key/cell phone pockets. :lol:

What I need is one nice bag to use when I go into social situations. I do attend a fair amount of these. I'm thinking of cocktail parties- in Hawaii these aren't black dress though. "Aloha attire" is a unique thing. Confusing, I know. I don't need a semi-formal clutch, but it must be...oh, blast...."stylish?" In addition, dinners out with my husband don't require the three ring binder capable tote. :D

I think the current trends are just to trendy for my taste. I refuse to drop the bucks for a bag that will look dated next year.

Jo

I am a purse girl, a purse w/every outfit. But I love my dooneys.

I would try QVC.com, HSN.com and shopnbc.com, they have every style color and non name brand and name brand.

On QVC the Kathy Van Zeeland and Maxx are cute and you dont have to spend a fortune.

I am a purse girl, a purse w/every outfit. But I love my dooneys.

I would try QVC.com, HSN.com and shopnbc.com, they have every style color and non name brand and name brand.

On QVC the Kathy Van Zeeland and Maxx are cute and you dont have to spend a fortune.

Thanks for the websites. I've never been to any of those. I'll check it out.

Jo

I would go to TJMax and look at their purses. They are all very nice department store purses, but much cheaper. I would go with a nice sized leather purse... pick out one that catches your eye! It doesn't have to follow any trend.

I just carry a Dooney slouch bag around most of the time. It suits whatever social occasions that I end up in and it is big enough to carry around my junk when needed. So far it has made it though almost a whole year of baseball feilds, sitting on counters, being shoved under chairs, and generally abused. Not a scratch on it.

I have this one. And the straps adjust to a cluch or over the shoulder.

http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=21715

I love my two Haiku bags...yes they are a little "crunchy" looking, but they are definitely feminine crunchy :) with great style and functionality.

http://www.haikubags.com/originalCollection.html

I have a "grab" and a "to go" bag. I'm hoping to get an "escape: next, as it is sized halfway between the grab (which is pretty tiny) and the to go, which is pretty big.

www.Zappos.com is a great place to find them, as is www.REI.com. They show up from time to time on eBay (new and used) as well.

They wear beautifully.

Edited by BikeBookBread
spelling typo

Okay now, if we are talking purses we are right up my alley! LOL If I had to stick with just a couple nice, important basics I would definitely say cover your black and brown leather staples. I have a gorgeous buttery black leather Coach with no big, annoying "C"'s all over it that is heavenly. It is perfectly sized between small and medium. Then find that same idea in brown. Add the extra after that; like my perfect buttery red leather Dooney. These bags are so soft I could us them as a pillow! The quality really makes a difference because they last forever because I can have them cleaned and serviced. :)