Menu

How much is it raining in Orlando? Disney in the rain?

So, last minute we thought we would take the boys to Disney this week for a surprise. It's not a far drive at all. Then I looked on the weather and found Orlando is forecasted for as much rain as we've been getting lately. (40 to 60% every day)

Now, in my area of the world that could mean days of nothing but occasional sprinkles that never amount to anything. However, right now, we are drowning! LOL It's raining every day on and off, often quite seriously with lightning. If you're near Orlando, what have things been like for you?

Also, anyone ever been to Disney in the rain? A big majority of the rides and such are indoors. Unlike Six Flags, I assume not much would close up for rain. Is that true?

Thoughts?? Please?? :)

The major storm is over for the moment - this afternoon we are predicted to be back in the "afternoon pop-up shower" mode. NOT the 26" inches Daytona got last week (we got like 12", about an hour north of Disney) from the "non-Tropical Storm".

When it starts raining - grab a poncho and keep going! Afternoon rain and Disney go hand in hand from this time till about September.

We did Disney in the rain when we went on vacation in January. Two pieces of advice: bring your OWN poncho from home. When it rains, everyone buys the Disney ponchos which are clear/whitish. It was much easier to lose a kids when everyone looks the same. Also, you'll need to make a plan if you have a baby in a stroller or infant carrier. It was too difficult to keep our baby in the stroller and dry (would require several ponchos, so I just wore him in an infant carrier and carried an umbrella. The lines are much shorter and almost everything is still open. It isn't my choice for Disney, but it is definitely do-able.

It felt like it rained at least a little bit every day that we are in Disney, lol.....I'm told that is typical Florida.

But, we didn't let it bother us...it was nice to cool down a little....the lines were definitely shorter......and if you really don't want to get wet, then the minute it starts raining go into one of the shows, or a line that is all indoors, or shopping. I don't live there so can't say it's always this way, but we've been going to Disney for many years and their rain showers seem to last less than an hour (and often less than half an hour) and then the sun comes out you dry quickly and the lines start to get long again.

If being wet bothers you one recommendation we read in the guide books was to get plastic ponchos at the dollar store to whip out put on and because refolding was nearly impossible and they were cheap (I think they were 4 for $1) just toss them in the trash can after the storm. I do recall one year deciding to get them, but they were a bit annoying to get opened and on and so we gave up....we didn't mind being wet anyway as it cooled us down. Nighttime might be different, but we never had it rain on us after the sun went down. If it did, we'd probably call it a night since we'd likely have been there since opening anyway.

Disney in the rain beats home in the heat any day. Enjoy!

Well, I called and booked it this afternoon!! Woo-hoo! I was about 20 wks pregnant with Easton last time we went and that was our first time taking the big boys. I'm SO excited!

I'm going out this afternoon to see if I can find ponchos at the dollar store. I need a few more pairs of shorts for the 13yr old. And I need to make sure we have all our Disney pins on our ribbons and ready to wear! (please tell me they still do the pins)

If you happen to check this again, can I ask more advice? I have a light, quick Combi stroller and a big, tricked out Peg stroller (lol). I'm thinking the Combi is absolutely preferred because it'll get left outside sometimes, unattended. However, is it preferable that I rent one there? Is there an advantage to it? Also, my 2, almost 3, year old is a lightweight and can still ride in his carrier with me. I'm thinking there might be times we'd like to use that. Am I right? I've never gone with a toddler/preschooler.

I'm staying at the Beach Club. Any thoughts or advice for there? I hear the pool is awesome.

Thank you!

As an fyi - i don't LIKE the dollar store ponchos. They are the thin plastic - more like saran wrap. The Disney ones are thicker, more textured and just more comfy to have on. Heck, they last too - we have some from our first trips in the 80's still! We keep them in a 2 gallon ziploc - they shake out well for water too. One will cover my peg perego plinko (since i haven't found the rain zip on since we moved here).

I'd take the smaller stroller unless you think he will nap in it.... and you might want the storage space :D Leaving it unattended is fine for either though - seriously never an issue.

The Beach Club ROCKS. Don't forget to go to Beaches & Cream :D (best burgers on property - they make them from fresh meat, not frozen). You can get a limited number of menu items to go after 4pm too. That is my favorite place to stay because you can come and go to Epcot so easy. The Boardwalk Bakery across the way has yummy treats too!

have fun!!!!

If you are using Disney transportation, then rent a stroller! Even when it's not crowded in the parks the buses can be slammed. You have to hold that stroller the entire ride, which can be 20 or 30 mintues depending on traffic.

You're middle son might enjoy the occassional ride, too, and the Disney single can hold him and the little one on his lap!

You can pay for stroller rental in one park, turn in your stroller and then get another one in the other parks by showing your previous ticket.

Have fun!

***Nevermind about the middle son riding! For some reason I thought he was a lot younger!!

Edited by Jan in SC
just wrong!!

It will likely rain in the afternoon around 4 - 5 or even 6. They are quick storms that dump a lot of rain then move on. With the way the sea breezes build and move, Disney is always a prime target. Nothing closes unless there is heavy lightning. We skipped the ponchos and just got wet...it's really no big deal to us. I like to wear water friendly shoes. I don't like to carry a bunch of stuff, but with a stroller it might be easier. If so, I second the dollar store idea and then throw them away. Renting a stroller is so easy!!!

Have fun!!

I'd think twice before bringing a nice stroller to Disneyworld. We live in FL and go a lot and when the kids were smaller brought our nice stroller and it was stolen! We think that since it had started raining, someone just grabbed our stroller to keep their things or kids dry. It was so maddening! Before our next trip, I went out and got a garage sale stroller (just for Disney outings) and sharpie marked our name all over it. The huge name and the fact it was the ugliest red color kept it from being stolen after that. It was a nice 'Disney' stroller though...almost new but garage sale cheap. :) I'd recommend you bring a cheapo umbrella stroller (easy to fold and carry-you'll be doing a lot of both) or rent one.

Have fun!!! Yes - the pins are still big! Have fun with those!

Strollers - we take our McClaren umbrella and LOVE it!!! Know that they will re-arrange the strollers when you are in a ride. So, find a handkerchief or something to mark your stroller so you can find it easily when you exit!

Dollar store ponchos are your friend!!

Enjoy your visit!!!!

Well, I called and booked it this afternoon!! Woo-hoo! I was about 20 wks pregnant with Easton last time we went and that was our first time taking the big boys. I'm SO excited!

I'm going out this afternoon to see if I can find ponchos at the dollar store. I need a few more pairs of shorts for the 13yr old. And I need to make sure we have all our Disney pins on our ribbons and ready to wear! (please tell me they still do the pins)

If you happen to check this again, can I ask more advice? I have a light, quick Combi stroller and a big, tricked out Peg stroller (lol). I'm thinking the Combi is absolutely preferred because it'll get left outside sometimes, unattended. However, is it preferable that I rent one there? Is there an advantage to it? Also, my 2, almost 3, year old is a lightweight and can still ride in his carrier with me. I'm thinking there might be times we'd like to use that. Am I right? I've never gone with a toddler/preschooler.

I'm staying at the Beach Club. Any thoughts or advice for there? I hear the pool is awesome.

Thank you!

Yes, they still do pins....big time. Probably 90% of the Cast Members have lanyards and you can trade up to two pins. There are also "boards" that have probably 50 pins on them for you to choose from (still only 2 trades per person)....one of the boards is in Epcot at the African trading station between China and Germany right by the cash register. There is also a board in Animal Kingdom at the pin vendor just inside the turnstiles to your left by the restrooms. At both locations you have to ask to see the board, it won't always be obvious. I think there are other places, but I can't remember right now!

DO NOT plan to rent a stroller at Disney.....it costs $15.00 PER DAY for a single and $30 PER DAY for a double and it's hard plastic. While there aren't as many stroller thefts as you might think given how often you leave the stroller unattended, it does happen, and of course is typically the high end ones. I'd bring along the combi. Besides the idea that you don't want to worry about a nice expensive stroller disappearing, do you really want the Peg getting wet during the rain showers? Having a child in a carrier is fine.....some of the rides they want you to take the baby out of it for safety, but they're let you know. Some people who don't want to deal with packing a stroller on a plane have stopped off at Walmart and bought a $20 umbrella stroller for their stay and left it with the resort to pass along at the end (there are even swap groups to join to share strollers). If you absolutely have to rent a stroller there, on your very first day, tell them that you want to pay for a "length of stay" and you pay for however long you need it (2 day minimum) for $13 single/$27 double per day, payable in advance, no refunds for unused days. A better solution requires a little planning, but there are several off site stroller rental places that will deliver to your resort on arrival day....they're typically MUCH cheaper than Disney's rate and are often not the hard plastic so they are a bit more comfortable. I don't know that I should "advertise" any companies, so if you need this information, PM me for it.

One last hint about strollers....while you're inside the attractions the Cast Members may move your stroller, and every one else's to keep them in neat rows so more will fit....this makes finding your stroller in the sea of strollers that all look similiar a bit of a challenge. Bring along the brightest boldest wildest scarf you can find to tie around the handle to help you spot it in the crowds.

Beach Club is very nice and has "Stormalong Bay" where the pools are located...yes pools...it shares with Yacht Club, but each section of the pool is different, so check out both. There are also wading pools for the littles and hot tubs for us biggers. You can rent tubes and noodles. No need to bring your room towels as they have extras at the pool. And Beach Club has a wonderful restaurant for a breakfast buffet, the Cape May Cafe...and in the evening the same Cafe has a clam bake. Beach Club is also the home of Beaches and Cream the biggest and bestest ice cream parlor in Disney....often very crowded so plan to wait for a table as they don't take reservations, but so much fun and so yummy. They have a wide selection of sundaes that are large enough for 2 adults to chow down on....but they also have something called The Kitchen Sink. It's 8 scoops of ice cream, every topping they have all inside a massive bucket with a cute faucet! It's definitely a meal. (Oh and they also serve burgers and such if you actually want real food for lunch/dinner instead of just ice cream, lol). And then there is all of Marketplace.....kinda like a stroll down a beach boardwalk with little shops and restaurants. Best of all to me, is that it's a quick boat ride to my favorite park, Epcot. Buses take you to the other parks if you don't have your own car.

Have a wonderful time....wish I could go!

The major storm is over for the moment - this afternoon we are predicted to be back in the "afternoon pop-up shower" mode. NOT the 26" inches Daytona got last week (we got like 12", about an hour north of Disney) from the "non-Tropical Storm".

When it starts raining - grab a poncho and keep going! Afternoon rain and Disney go hand in hand from this time till about September.

Ummm, yeah. I thought we were going to drown here! I have never seen so much rain for such a long period of time. Lots of flooding here in Daytona.

Art the greeter at the Beach Club is wonderful to talk to, try to chat with him, he's great with kids.

bc_art.jpg

The Beach Club is nice because you can walk or boat to EPCOT and Disney Studios. The bad thing is you share a bus with the Boardwalk, the Swan and the Dolphin to everywhere else and the Beach Club was always the last stop on that loop when we stayed there. Taking a stroller on the bus was a bit of a pain. After a day or two we decided to drive ourselves.

My kids love the chicken fingers at the Cape May Cafe Clam Bake. I'm an earlier riser and I really liked to take a morning stroll around Crescent Lake. Stormalong Bay (the pool) is great for kids of all ages (sandy bottom), but it's easy to lose a little one.

Hi

I'm not sure when you said you were going to Disney, but our best piece of advice for the entire trip is to purchase The Unofficial Guide to Disney World by Bob Sehlinger. It is great and a must-have. It gives you wonderful tips for families and especially how to avoid standing in lines. I am so jealous!

Terri:seeya:

It's more unusual for it to NOT rain in the afternoon in Florida during the summertime, so don't let that stop you.

I 2nd the idea of marking your stroller in some way - - workers will move it to designated stroller parking if it's in the wrong area, or they will neaten up the stroller area. We wrap the handle of ours in bright electrical tape.

Bring the smaller and cheaper one; first of all, when people get on crowded busses with these huge strollers, I want to beat them to death with it. Second, yes, it will get rained on, have ice cream dropped in it, etc.

We've never had anything stolen at Disney, and we leave all our stuff in the stroller, including cameras, etc. My theory is that nothing gets stolen because everyone has entirely too much of their own crap to begin with. I know a poster said their stroller was stolen, but I'd bet that it's actually still parked in some random designated stroller parking area, periodically being moved by Disney employees! :D