Menu

MUS, Miquon, or RS? Please help me choose a Kindergarten Math to supplement Singapore

You probably have read my other thread about my daughter, age 5 years 1 month, who has trouble remembering the difference between the numbers in the teens and the twenties (and any number after that....). I know this is very common, thanks to the reassurances from all of you, so instead of panicking, I simply want to supplement our current math with something that might help her grasp the concepts better. We finished Singapore Earlybird and now are doing the Power Math book, and she really loves it. However, we have reached the point where she is required to put numbers in order from smallest to greatest (such as a set with 4, 9, 15, and 27) and generally she can do it, but she has trouble sometimes. She can put numbers in order from greatest to smallest when they are smaller numbers (a set with 12, 9, 1, and 5) but not always with larger numbers. She stopped recognizing / remembering how to write the numbers in the teens once we introduced the twenties; now she confuses, say, 12 and 21, and when I tell her to write 15 she wants to write the 5 first. Again, I know this is normal, but I do want her to know this! :) This child loves to color, and she enjoys doing her work when she is not frustrated, but the moment she gets frustrated, she becomes angry and does not want to work any longer. I don't want her to feel angry and discouraged! :( She does not memorize well at this point in her life (such as counting by 5s, 10s, etc.) and shows no interest in doing so, or in memorizing math facts, so I do not push her to. (However, she does want to know how to tell time, so I tell her she needs to count by 5s first....) So, what kind of math would you recommend? Bill (Spy Guy) kindly recommend Miquon but I just don't know if that's for me. Others suggested Right Start, yet others said it might be too close to Singapore. And many suggested Math-U-See, which does sound appealing!

Please note: I do not have hardly any time at all to prepare, so please, please take this into consideration. I need an open-and-go curriculum, and as embarrassed as I am to say it, I feel comfortable working with workbooks. I know, I need to break out of that!!!! It's the public schooled person in me (blech! :tongue_smilie:). :lol:

I really, really appreciate your help!

ETA: I meant to add a poll! How do I do that?

Edited by MitchellMom

One thing struck me just now: MUS only teaches writing numbers 0-20 in the K year. Maybe there is a good reason for that.

If you are sticking with Singapore, then I would supplement with MUS. It teaches the basics very well, and I have seen other people using the two together quite successfully. It sounds like Miquon has more of a learning curve than I would think would work for your situation. I personally would not recommend MUS alone, but it would make a great supplement.

And to be totally OT and chatty: I have played with the idea of adding Miquon or MEP to our math (Abeka), but I am just no good at juggling multiple programs. I can't even get the hang of using WWE and FLL together. We do one for a couple of weeks, then switch to the other and I have no idea when we will finish. :D

MUS seems to me to be pretty easy to schedule as a supplement or add-on. Not so easy on the pocketbook, however.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Hmmm... Here is an idea:

Miquon assumes that your dc already has knowlege of Cuisenaire rods. I know that many people jump right in there without having previously worked with the rods, but you'll get the most bang for your buck if you use something else first for that exposure. I like Mathematics Made Meaningful for that.

Maybe just start out with this and see if it is all she needs. I will be interested to see opinions on this idea.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

If you are sticking with Singapore, then I would supplement with MUS.

:iagree:

First, MUS is not teacher intensive. I spent a max of 15min per week preparing. Teach the lesson and the remainder of your time is checking over the work and going over errors. Or just watch the DVDs together, then there's no prep.

Second, MUS does an outstanding job of teaching place value. See my post in your thread here.

Finally, when you talk about your dd, it reminds me that in MUS, he talks about how US children have a much more difficult time learning to count to 100 because of our language. They teach the children to count funny, using onety-one, onety-two, onety-three, etc. instead of eleven, twelve, thirteen, etc. This worked beautifully with ds. Eventually, ds learned the "nicknames" of eleven, twelve, thirteen, etc.

About RS: I have never used it. I gather it is a great program. I also gather that it is teacher-intensive.

About Miquon: I have never used it. I had a friend who used it with her dd. I looked through the TM and tried to help her dd. From my understanding, it is a "discovery" program. The child is supposed to discover things about numbers on their own? (Sorry it's been years since this happened and I don't remember that well) My friend's dd was discovering nothing. She was lost.

Now I am going to go hide from Bill the Spy Guy's tomatoes...

:auto:

First, MUS is not teacher intensive. I spent a max of 15min per week preparing. Teach the lesson and the remainder of your time is checking over the work and going over errors. Or just watch the DVDs together, then there's no prep.
When we were having trouble with MUS, someone suggested we watch the video together every day. Having DD watch the video rather than trying to teach it myself worked much better. Also, IMO, you could watch the video every day, take a look at the TM and play with the blocks and it would be a great supplement, even without the student workbook.

I think you should jump in with Miquon!

It really isn't teacher intensive (thus far, for me, anyway). In fact, it's something I start and leave for my ds to play with, figure out, and ponder on.

Singapore and Miquon are like peas and carrots! Miquon will make Singapore clearer and visa versa.

I would put away the numbers beyond 20 for a short time, and focus on another concept - whatever you decide. Perhaps hang a hundreds chart in her room....say nothing of it unless she asks....just put it up.

I have this and just love it so far (we're supplementing Singapore with it with an eye to adding Miquon once she and I are both comfortable with the rods).

And (pretend that you hear me whispering this) really, really, your daughter's quite young. I think yours is only a month or so older than mine, and I know you've got a lot of pressure coming at you (and everyone's already told you this on the other thread, too :D), but really, truly, she'll get it. Go slow. Keep it fun. Play games. She'll get there. :grouphug: Remember, "technically" kindergarten hasn't even started yet. :tongue_smilie:

Hmmm... Here is an idea:

Mathematics Made Meaningful

Maybe just start out with this and see if it is all she needs. I will be interested to see opinions on this idea.

ETA: Don't know why the middle of the quote disappeared, but I'm referencing Mathematics Made Meaningful.

Edited by ~Kirsten~
entire quote didn't show up

About Miquon: I have never used it. I had a friend who used it with her dd. I looked through the TM and tried to help her dd. From my understanding, it is a "discovery" program. The child is supposed to discover things about numbers on their own? (Sorry it's been years since this happened and I don't remember that well) My friend's dd was discovering nothing. She was lost.

I really liked Miquon for all four kids. There were glitches - some hard concepts, but the rods solved all those questions when they worked them out with the hands on bars. I added lots of drill work to solidify the facts, but that's fun to do while on the run.

I think you should jump in with Miquon!

It really isn't teacher intensive (thus far, for me, anyway). In fact, it's something I start and leave for my ds to play with, figure out, and ponder on.

Singapore and Miquon are like peas and carrots! Miquon will make Singapore clearer and visa versa.

No matter how many threads you start :tongue_smilie: I think this is your best choice. You will break out of your "public school" mentality, and your daughter learn to think. The lessons you derive will enrich both your lives.

Bill

No matter how many threads you start :tongue_smilie: I think this is your best choice. You will break out of your "public school" mentality, and your daughter learn to think. The lessons you derive will enrich both your lives.

Bill

I agree. The only thing I might add is a hundreds chart like a previous poster mentioned. I have been amazed at how much my kindergartner has picked up about numbers by having a hundreds chart and some Cusinare rods available. You can get Miquon as an e-book at Currclick now.

Jan

I'd also add that while Cuisenaire rods are a vital part of Miquon, and playing with them and understanding their values is important, I don't think a separate program like Mathematics Made Meaningful is necessarily to accomplish that end.

The simple task of making "stairs" (rods lined up vertically by value 1-10 and "trains" (stacked rods of different combinations equalling the same value) combined with the built-in lab-sheets in Miquon were more than adequate to use this program.

For really young kids you could first use this little book by Miranda Hughes.

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

I agree. The only thing I might add is a hundreds chart like a previous poster mentioned. I have been amazed at how much my kindergartner has picked up about numbers by having a hundreds chart and some Cusinare rods available. You can get Miquon as an e-book at Currclick now.

Jan

Miquon has a great chart in the Orange book on page A-15.

It goes from 0 to 99. Important!

And has many of the space blank for the child to fill in, but enough filled for they see the "logic".

One could make the same sort of thing ones self.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Having used both Singapore and RightStart, I don't think they are at all similar. I think RightStart is far superior, and I would suggest it as your main curriculum.

Tara

From what we have experienced thus far with both RightStart Lvl A and Singapore Earlybird... :iagree:

ETA: Go with your gut. ;)

I'd suggest you take a look at Dreambox math. It's an online program which seems to be similar to RightStart, with an abacus and lots of mental math work, and my daughter has loved it. You are not to help your child at all with the program, and you get regular progress updates via email. It's the first online math program that we have really liked.

Leslie-Jean

RightStart. It doesn't really require much prep time. There are hardly any worksheets in level A, but that's good for the child. I wouldn't say it's "too much" like Singapore at all - they share some philosophies, but RS takes a very different approach.

Honestly - E sounds a lot like Becca in the math department. We just kept hitting walls of frustration with Singapore despite my best efforts. She loves RightStart. She asks to do math first, and it's just like play for her. Once E gets going on some math games, you can even take some days off when your new little one arrives and just play a few hands of Go to the Dump. You might even find T tagging along - Sylvia's joined in, to my great surprise.

I had to get out of the workbook mindset too. ;)

Having used both Singapore and RightStart, I don't think they are at all similar. I think RightStart is far superior, and I would suggest it as your main curriculum.

Tara

Ouch! Now worried b/c I spent so much time w/ Singapore already....

Jan

What is Currclick?

Miquon has a great chart in the Orange book on page A-15.

It goes from 0 to 99. Important!

And has many of the space blank for the child to fill in, but enough filled for they see the "logic".

One could make the same sort of thing ones self.

Bill

My dd worked on a chart just like this in her Singapore book. She did not do well at all!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch! Now worried b/c I spent so much time w/ Singapore already....

Ah, don't worry about it. From what I have seen, the Early Bird books are fine. And lots of people love and swear by Singapore. I used it (1A-2B) with my oldest, who is now 15 and NOT mathy, and it was a disaster. I felt that the pace was too quick, the examples too few, and the practice sets too brief. I think that for mathy kids, Singapore is probably fine.

With my younger two I have used RS Levels A and B. I started my son on Level A when he was 5 1/3. It took him a while to grasp some of the concepts, but the pace is slow enough and RS revisits things often enough that he has caught on very well. My daughter, who is now 7, has flown through RS and has really caught on very quickly. She takes what she learns in RS and uses it to further her own math knowledge (for example, we have not started to multiply in RS yet but my dd can already multiply based on what she has learned about numbers and how they work ... and she can explain to me what she is doing and why). So I have used RS both with a kid who struggles and with a kid who is very mathy, and it has been excellent for both of them.

Tara

My dd worked on a chart just like this in her Singapore book. She did not do well at all!!!!!!!!!!

If you are talking about the ones on pages 148 & 155 of the EB SE Textbook they are deeply flawed. And it is not her fault.

The first number should be "zero" not "one". It seems "trivial", but it is not. It is antithetical to learning place value to start with a one.

You would do better with a "colorless" chart you made yourself. Even I find the charts in EB confusing and distracting.

And use rods to show her "value". If she could more easily see how many "tens" and units" were in each row and column I believe it would help her.

I really like Singapore, over-all, but this presentation is a major fault IMO.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

And with rods to show her "value". If she could more easily see how many "tens" and units" were in each row and column I believe it would help her.
:iagree: We went through and built each number (MUS) as we counted through the chart (0-20). Only after we had accomplished this did it start to come together for her.

If you are talking about the ones on pages 148 & 155 of the EB SE Textbook they are deeply flawed. And it is not her fault.

The first number should be "zero" not "one". It seems "trivial", but it is not. It is antithetical to learning place value to start with a one.

You would do better with a "colorless" chart you made yourself. Even I find the charts in EB confusing and distracting.

And use rods to show her "value". If she could more easily see how many "tens" and units" were in each row and column I believe it would help her.

I really like Singapore, over-all, but this presentation is a major fault IMO.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Actually it's been over a months ince she was working on the EB books ... now she is doing Power Math. I don't remember the page number but it required her to complete it and she'd have, say, 5 where 26 was supposed to be, and 13 where 61 was supposed to be. It looked like she just went in and randomly inserted numbers. It broke my heart. It made me have a flashback of when I was in school and did not know how to do a math problem, so I just guessed and scribbled a few numbers out of desperation. I don't want her to hate math like I did back then!

(I did become better at math, for what it's worth ... it took an awesome teacher in 10th grade, who I then had four more times throughout high school, to make that happen!)

Not trying to argue with Bill about Cuisenaire rods because I have never used them, but I remembered that RS had something to say about why an abacus is better than rods. You can read the full article here, but this is the relevant quote.

"Still another difference is their criteria for manipulatives. Americans think the more the better. Asians prefer very few, but insist that they be imaginable, that is, visualizable. That is one reason they do not use colored rods. You can imagine the one and the three, but try imagining a brown eight–the quantity eight, not the color. It can’t be done without grouping."

Tara

:iagree: We went through and built each number (MUS) as we counted through the chart (0-20). Only after we had accomplished this did it start to come together for her.

And when they "get it" it will come like a thunder-clap. And they will count to 99 easily.

And if they need to say 1-ten three or 1-T three at first, so be it.

My "system" was to say the numbers two ways. First as 1-Ten 3-units, and then we (after discussing how English was a "funny" language sometimes) would work on saying 1-Ten 3-units is "thirteen".

But I would agree with RS and MUS that the first thing the child needs to understand is how many "tens" and how many "units" are in a number, and not what it's name is in English. That comes.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Actually it's been over a months ince she was working on the EB books ... now she is doing Power Math. I don't remember the page number but it required her to complete it and she'd have, say, 5 where 26 was supposed to be, and 13 where 61 was supposed to be. It looked like she just went in and randomly inserted numbers. It broke my heart. It made me have a flashback of when I was in school and did not know how to do a math problem, so I just guessed and scribbled a few numbers out of desperation. I don't want her to hate math like I did back then!

(I did become better at math, for what it's worth ... it took an awesome teacher in 10th grade, who I then had four more times throughout high school, to make that happen!)

She is clearly not seeing the numbers and how or number system works.

I'm going to use an example from RS author Dr Cotter (who I'm going to part ways with in my next post :tongue_smilie:) but she has/or had a flash movie on her site that really hit home with me.

She said imagine replacing "numerals" with letter symbols. A=1, B=2, C=3 and so on.

What is "G X F"? Quickly!

"I - G"?

That (to some degree) is what it's like for children. These symbols are abstractions. We need to help give them concrete value beyond "counting".

If she has a way to "see" how many "tens" there are, say "3-Tens" . And how many "units" there are, say "5-units". Then she really can't fail.

Bill

Do you know of any 0-99 hundreds charts I can buy, prelaminated?

I happen to have a few of the 1-100, which my kids have never seen, but I would like the 0-99 sort. There are times in life when a laminating machine seems like the best thing ever! There used to be a teachers' store near me, but they went out of business, followed by a scrapbooking store, which met the same fate, and the latest victim is an antique store. Wonder what's next.

(Why is Miquon on Currclick more expensive than the print version? Bleh.)

Edited by stripe

Not trying to argue with Bill about Cuisenaire rods because I have never used them, but I remembered that RS had something to say about why an abacus is better than rods. You can read the full article here, but this is the relevant quote.

"Still another difference is their criteria for manipulatives. Americans think the more the better. Asians prefer very few, but insist that they be imaginable, that is, visualizable. That is one reason they do not use colored rods. You can imagine the one and the three, but try imagining a brown eight–the quantity eight, not the color. It can’t be done without grouping."

Tara

While I profoundly respect Dr Cotter (and she has credentials, and I have "none") I think she is dead wrong on this.

The children are not seeing "color". They are seeing "length" (and you could say "volume"). Length is a very tangible and concrete way to compare values. And to my mind is the BESY WAY of making concepts clear to young children.

An abacus has it's advantages as a calculator to be sure. And I like the RS one in particular. Both for the color coding of the beads (so the kids think of numbers in relation to more or less than 5) and the lay-out for "place-value". I'm not giving mine up.

So I'm not "against" the abacus (especially the AL abacus) I like it.

But I've witnessed too much good, too many concepts easily grasped, to de-value rods because an abacus might hold some advantages in some areas.

I'm pretty "pragmatic" and like what-ever works.

Bill

Actually it's been over a months ince she was working on the EB books ... now she is doing Power Math. I don't remember the page number but it required her to complete it and she'd have, say, 5 where 26 was supposed to be, and 13 where 61 was supposed to be. It looked like she just went in and randomly inserted numbers. To me, this screams "not ready"! I remember when she tested into the first grade Saxon program. I think the biggest problem is that you are putting her in programs that are not meant for a preschooler. I am all for using 1st grade programs for a 4 year old. If they are ready. I ahve been there. DD met all K requirements before she turned 4. Now she is about to turn 7 and we are right on track with first grade. Developmental readiness will catch up to a child who is not an exception "gifted". It broke my heart. It made me have a flashback of when I was in school and did not know how to do a math problem, so I just guessed and scribbled a few numbers out of desperation. I don't want her to hate math like I did back then! If your goal is to make sure that she does not hate math then you need to back way off. After a total break, talk with her and explain to her that you were using the wrong math with her. That she can be very good at math, but it didn't seem like she was and it was your fault, not hers. Now you can start over and she can be good at it. Then start with a very foundational beginning Pre-K program, or a hands-on math activity kit. Make speghetti numbers, etc. Let her feel good about math again.

We've successfully combined MUS with Singapore Math, so naturally that's my vote. If you do go with Miquon, read Spy Car's book recommendations .

We found Mr. Demme's way of counting teens in MUS Alpha worked very well indeed. Our dc were learning about bigger numbers in SM, so that really wasn't an issue for us. Rather than "not ready," I highly recommend something different. C. rods are good, and MUS is great. Manipulatives, for eg.

As for being 5, you can do a lot of games with math, too.

My ds didn't do serious school until he was 6, but he had fine motor delay and vision issues. However, we did work on some things, including counting. Brain Gym solved the counting problem!

RODS ARE GOOD. I don't care what anyone said. My ds mastered 2 kinds of rods. Yes, he did know the numbers by colour, but also by length. Really, someone is always going to criticize, but we found rods to be the very best number manipulatives. Using separate items led to counting.

Edited by Karin

If your goal is to make sure that she does not hate math then you need to back way off.

Respectfully, not "back off". Just change methods.

I keep saying it, but here is a "third way".

Placing 3 "Ten" rods on a table and a "5" unit rod on a table is a pretty easy way to show 35. 3-Tens 5-units. Done.

Or we can make things "complicated" and give in to frustration and tears, or quit. But we can choose differently.

Bill (who votes for making things "simple")

Placing 3 "Ten" rods on a table and a "5" unit rod on a table is a pretty easy way to show 35. 3-Tens 5-units. Done.

Or we can make things "complicated" and give in to frustration and tears, or quit. But we can choose differently.

I basically meant keeping it simple when I said it that way. Backing way off, to me is starting with MUS Primer, or another program in RS or Miquon with the same S&S (which I am not familiar with in those programs). Something that at first will not challenge her, but make her feel successful.

I'd also add that while Cuisenaire rods are a vital part of Miquon, and playing with them and understanding their values is important, I don't think a separate program like Mathematics Made Meaningful is necessarily to accomplish that end.

Oh, Bill, I totally agree with you. The program itself isn't necessary for the use of Cuisenaire rods. But, if one feels a bit intimidated by either the rods or Miquon (ahem, not that I would know this feeling), OR, if one wants to break away from a textbook/traditional math approach, I think Mathematics Made Meaningful can be a great tool. Since they're cards, no pencils are necessary at all. The prep is limited to glancing over one card, and then the games begin! My other reason for starting with this before moving into Miquon was to be sure *I* got how to use the Cuisenaire rods. Also, my youngest is having fun doing the "games" with her older sister.

Anyway, I just had to clarify a bit. :D

I agree with both LovedtoDeath and Bill :D

Present things in different and gentle ways. Don't underestimate children. At their level. (Bill -- correct me if I'm wrong ;))

Don't stress so much. She's only five. She'll get it. Play games. No need to worry. (LovedtoDeath -- correct me if I'm wrong ;))

The OP gives the impression of being stressed out and worried. At the same times, she can try different methods. However, she doesn't need to stress about it :)

I basically meant keeping it simple when I said it that way. Backing way off, to me is starting with MUS Primer, or another program in RS or Miquon with the same S&S (which I am not familiar with in those programs). Something that at first will not challenge her, but make her feel successful.

You will think I'm nit-picking and picking a fight (you'd be right :D) but I would disagree this last part.

You don't want something that "will not challenge her" (that's the road to boredom) you want something that WILL challenge her AND at the same time provide to tools to ensure success.

Two different ways to think of this.

Bill (who does understand we are trying to say the same thing :001_smile:)

You will think I'm nit-picking and picking a fight (you'd be right :D) but I would disagree this last part.

You don't want something that "will not challenge her" (that's the road to boredom) you want something that WILL challenge her AND at the same time provide to tools to ensure success.

Two different ways to think of this.

Bill (who does understand we are trying to say the same thing :001_smile:)

Gotcha!

Oh, Bill, I totally agree with you. The program itself isn't necessary for the use of Cuisenaire rods. But, if one feels a bit intimidated by either the rods or Miquon (ahem, not that I would know this feeling), OR, if one wants to break away from a textbook/traditional math approach, I think Mathematics Made Meaningful can be a great tool. Since they're cards, no pencils are necessary at all. The prep is limited to glancing over one card, and then the games begin! My other reason for starting with this before moving into Miquon was to be sure *I* got how to use the Cuisenaire rods. Also, my youngest is having fun doing the "games" with her older sister.

Anyway, I just had to clarify a bit. :D

I'm with you. If they help someone (parent/child) get used to the rods, all to the good. I felt a little free-play, making "stairs" and trains, and following the advice for pre-Miquon Cuisenaire Rod skills frond in Notes to Teachers (which people tend not to purchase, but should even though it should not be $6 ) was plenty for my son. And that the built-in rod work in Miquon was fully sufficient.

Some children might need more. And what harm could come from some pre-Miquon rod work? Probably none (I don't know anything about Mathematics Made Meaningful).

If someone feels intimidated by the rods, and this book helps: Go for it!

They are too good a learning tool to miss out on using with young kids for reasons of parental insecurity.

And, believe me, I shared in the feeling of "parental insecurity" when it came to how to teach math. I was pretty clue-less. But I didn't want my son to have a "math-education" like my own.

Anyway, if Mathematics Made Meaningful is a good pre-Miquon book, or just a good book to introduce children/parents to C. rods no matter what math program they use, you do a service to mention it :001_smile:

Bill