Menu

Super Novice Gardener Seeks recommendations

My 3 girls are very interested in planting a garden. I'm in Nashville, did NOT inherit my parents' love of gardening, but I DO love the benefits of fresh veggies etc.

If you could recommend 2-3 sure-to-succeed things for us to plant, what would you recommend. (Know that I HATE to weed and that it's very likely I won't develop the discipline to weed this growing season.) Any tips would be appreciated. And yes, I realize for some items I'm getting a late start.

Taking my oldest to a special event tonight, so I'll check back in tomorrow. Would be very grateful for any input you are willing to share.

Thanks!

My first grader planted carrots in an 18 inch plastic flower pot and we set them in full sunlight all summer and finally in September, we ate them. Regular watering is a good thing for the kids to do too. My second grader is planting radishes this year along with a second go round for the first grader and his carrots. The other first grader doesn't care about vegies, she'd rather have flowers, so she chose morning glories. They do fine on their own in the corner of the house, good too, because she doesn't remember to water them very often. We're in the 'burbs of Chicago.

My 3 girls are very interested in planting a garden. I'm in Nashville, did NOT inherit my parents' love of gardening, but I DO love the benefits of fresh veggies etc.

If you could recommend 2-3 sure-to-succeed things for us to plant, what would you recommend. (Know that I HATE to weed and that it's very likely I won't develop the discipline to weed this growing season.) Any tips would be appreciated. And yes, I realize for some items I'm getting a late start.

Taking my oldest to a special event tonight, so I'll check back in tomorrow. Would be very grateful for any input you are willing to share.

Thanks!

You're looking at planting full-on summer vegetables now. What do you love to eat? Start there. Things to consider:

Cucumber (will do best if they have something to vine up on)

Tomato (cherries are fun)

Beans (you can grow bush beans - green or shell types - and avoid the need for trellising)

Pepper (a bit of a late start, but so delicious)

Squash (yellow crookneck or zuchinni)

Teach your girls to weed, and don't rule out that you will like it more than you think, when it involves things that YOU'RE growing. :D

Radishes are the easiest for kids. You plant the seeds and they come up and in a few weeks they can pull them and eat them.

Peas are too late now and they usually need a sturdy trellis.

You can buy tomato or pepper plants. They may need watered if you have a dry/hot summer. Peppers won't produce much until late July.

Cucumbers and squash are relatively easy. I find kids like cucumbers better than squash. You have to water cucumbers. You should trellis up cucumbers. Same with melons. Melons take up a fair amount of space.

Onions are easy, but kids don't usually appreciate them. Herbs like parsley and basil are easy.

Potatoes are easy, but you should have planted them a month ago.

You can plant pumpkins now also.

the key for weeds and also to retain moisture in the soil is to mulch. Shredded newspaper, straw, etc

Edited by OrganicAnn

You're looking at planting full-on summer vegetables now. What do you love to eat? Start there. Things to consider:

Cucumber (will do best if they have something to vine up on)

Tomato (cherries are fun)

Beans (you can grow bush beans - green or shell types - and avoid the need for trellising)

Pepper (a bit of a late start, but so delicious)

Squash (yellow crookneck or zuchinni)

Teach your girls to weed, and don't rule out that you will like it more than you think, when it involves things that YOU'RE growing. :D

:iagree: Yes, start with what you like to eat. Tomatoes are easy. I grow a bunch, but only two people in my house like to eat them fresh. Green beans grow very well in my garden, and a fresh cooked green bean is much better than anything that is canned or frozen.

Jennie

:iagree: Container gardening is the weed-free way to go and do plant what you love.

Green onions, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce and strawberries grow well just about anywhere.

Have you looked into Square Foot Gardening? I think it is a good system for novice gardeners. It really cuts down on the weeding.

You should still be able to buy tomato plants and pepper plants. You can still start cucumbers and maybe melons if they are early varieties. Beans- yes do it! I suggest NOT using the icky half runners everyone over here plants, though. Squash/zucchini are the easiest and fairly quick too.

Here it is way to late for peas and any greens or radishes. The heat makes them bitter. Too late for cabbage and broccoli family plants also.

hth,

Georgia

I'd recommend staying very small this year. Buy a tomato plant of your choosing, cherry tomatoes are fun & tasty but if you want something to put on a hamburger you need a larger type. Get a 3-4 pack of peppers, the bell peppers that turn yellow at maturity are usually sweeter than the rest. Last, a pot of herbs, maybe chives, then you can put all these on top of purchased lettuce and have a mostly homegrown salad.

Zucchini, yellow summer squash, & cucumbers all can be planted from seed at this time, grow quickly, and are good fresh on a salad or prepared numerous ways.

Herbs are great because they are low maintenance and hardy. Plus fresh herbs cost so much in stores that your kids are growing something valuable!

The ones that are easiest and hardiest are probably rosemary, Italian parsley, lavendar, thyme, lemon balm, and spearmint. Be sure you plant the mint in a big pot--it sends out root shoots underground and rapidly colonizes other planting areas. Basil is not difficult, but in many climates you have to replant it every year. Grow a lot of that and make pesto!

For hot season veggies, I would stay away from salad greens this late in the year. Easy choices at this time of year would be tomatoes, green beans if you have a shady spot for them, corn (Indian corn is fun), and some kind of squash if you like squash. If you grow multiple varieties of squash/pumpkins, they will cross pollinate each other, so just pick one. I really like artichoke plants, but they get pretty broad.

You might consider a sunflower house--plant a ring of really tall growing sunflowers and then plant vining flowers around the spouts. As the flowers grow, twine the vines among the sunflower stalks, and your kids will have a cool hideout!

Can I second the suggestion about Square Foot Gardening, it's not about what to plant, but how to plant. Use your search engine and you'll find it.

NHSM

You may be able to get the book from your library; I did. I still haven't bought my own copy, but plan to some day.

WOW Ladies!

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and very helpful answers! I can't wait to print these all out and have a family meeting to see what we want to do. LOVE the idea of the sunflower house. Never heard of such a thing but KNOW it would a huge hit!

We'll definitely do tomatoes (mom loves them) and probably some herbs. I think they'd really like to do that. May do carrots...they've asked about that. I'd love to think we'd do cucumbers and squash, but since I'm the only one who likes these....maybe I can convince them to do it as a service project to give to others.

So sorry my response is so late. We're renovating a bathroom this weekend. 'nough said.

Have a great evening!