Menu

Anyone know about Digital SLRs? Canon or Nikon?

I'm between the Nikon D60 or D80 and the Canon Rebel. Dh takes pictures of jewelry so it would be a work camera mainly, but we will use it occasionally to take pics of the kids :)

Any experience? Preferences?

Thanks!

Update: Bought a Nikon D40 - thanks!

Edited by sagira

We have a Canon Rebel XSI and really like it. It's a step up from the "regular' Rebel, and apparently is the better purchase if you ever plan to get more serious about digital photography.

I'm sure the Nikons are excellent, too. I read a ton of reviews for all of them before we chose the Canon, but I can't remember specifically why we picked it!

Amazon often offers good package deals for Canons and Nikons, and I have also seen some deals at stores like Costco, BJs, and Sam's Club.

Cat

I'm a Nikon junkie.

I got my first one used in 1981 and it still works perfectly. I had it cleaned and had the light seal replaced once, in the nineties.

I bought my second one used also (my eyes are going, I needed an auto focus). It is also invincible.

Hubby wants to get me a 35mm digital, but I'm a film gal at heart. I love Nikons - there the only camera with the reputation for saving photojournalist's lives in war zones! (metal bodies)

asta

...and then chose the one that fit the most comfortably into my hand. Love it. :) Jean

Really this is the best advice. Both companies make excellent cameras. There are some minor difference between them, but really it is a matter of personal preference as to which one you will like the best. We went with a Canon.

Jan

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a Nikon body with Sigma lenses. I think the Sigma lenses fit the Canons too, but in my heart I think I'm a Nikon girl too. However, I'm also looking for best price and best camera for the price. Especially in this economy.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a Nikon body (35mm film camera) with Sigma lenses. I think the Sigma lenses fit the Canons too, but in my heart I think I'm a Nikon girl too. However, I'm also looking for best price and best camera for the price. Especially in this economy.

Some people at dh's work have suggested the Canon Rebel, and I don't know why not Nikon. Maybe Nikons are more expensive? :confused:

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a Nikon body (35mm film camera) with Sigma lenses. I think the Sigma lenses fit the Canons too, but in my heart I think I'm a Nikon girl too. However, I'm also looking for best price and best camera for the price. Especially in this economy.

Some people at dh's work have suggested the Canon Rebel, and I don't know why not Nikon. Maybe Nikons are more expensive? :confused:

The lenses you have for your Nikon will not fit a Canon. Sigma does make lenses for both camera manufacturers but since each uses a different mount, you'll see Sigma listed with different mounts for different brands.

I don't know about prices since each company has cameras at different price points to cover a wide range of customer bases. I suggest setting a price range that you wish to pay, then visiting a camera store. The people in the stores are usually knowledgable and can show you different models. You can even take a memory card of your own and take pictures with different cameras to compare on your computer at home.

The fit and feel of a camera in your hand is the best deciding factor when you've narrowed it down to these two companies. Also, if you wish to continue using your Sigma lenses consider the investment you have in them and how much you will have to pay to buy them in another mount. It helps to ask whether the lenses you have will work on the camera body you like since some lens features may not work on certain models.

Good luck with your decision and honestly you can't go wrong with either company!

The Canon/Nikon question is pretty much on the order of a Pepsi/Coke debate or a Ford/Chevy. :001_smile: But I'm a Nikon lover. I have a D70s and it is awesome. Although I concede that a comparable Canon seems to be equally good.

Hubby wants to get me a 35mm digital, but I'm a film gal at heart. I love Nikons - there the only camera with the reputation for saving photojournalist's lives in war zones! (metal bodies)

I thought this, too, until I got my D70s! The image writes instantly, with no lag at all, my memory card holds 2,000 photos, all the great features are there, I can change ISO faster than you can say, "Darn! I still have my 200 loaded from the picnic!" ;) and all my photo info is automatically stored in the memory: the date, the time, the exposure settings. DSLR ROCKS!!! :hurray:

I love my Canon Rebel XTi! When you're ready to buy, B&H is a great store with great customer service--I've ordered all my gear from them and have a mile-long wishlist there. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

B & H is awesome. Just remember to take a look at a calendar that shows traditional Jewish holidays prior to ordering: they are Orthodox and close around all religious holidays.

a

I would recommend reading the reviews at kenrockwell.com He's an independent guy who does reviews. He loves the Nikon D40 and it's at a price ($450 for and SLR with a nice lens) that's an unreal deal. I loved my Nikon N80, then my D70 and now my D90, so I am biased.

Wow! Neat site! Thank you! I'm enthusiastic about photography and I want to get back into it. Even though this will be a working camera, boy do I want to test drive this baby out :drool:

The lenses you have for your Nikon will not fit a Canon. Sigma does make lenses for both camera manufacturers but since each uses a different mount, you'll see Sigma listed with different mounts for different brands.

Thank you for this crucial piece of information.

Now I'm between the Nikon D60, the D40 and D80. More between D60 and D40, though.

Edited by sagira

Thank you for this crucial piece of information.

Now I'm between the Nikon D60, the D40 and D80. More between D60 and D40, though.

Check closely with the lenses you own and their compatibility with the two cameras you are leaning toward. Unfortunately the D40 and 60 do not have auto focus motors in the camera. If your lens doesn't have this it will still fit and still work, only you'll be unable to use the auto focus feature. You can find lists that show each lens model and its compatibility through a google search. I think Ken's site has one as well.

This should not be an issue with the D80, which has an internal focusing motor. You may even be able to find a great deal on a used one since this model has been around a long time (relatively speaking, in the life span of electronics of course :lol:)

ETA: Here is an awesome site for camera reviews, forums, galleries, and news. I probably spend more time there than I do here, and that's a LOT!!!

Edited by Stacie

I finally gave in to digital this past Christmas. I was a big fan of my Canon Rebel 35 mm, and I replaced it with a Rebel XS. My Sigma lens does fit.

When you decide which you want, you may want to check QVC. We were able to get mine on their EZ pay plan. The payments were divided into four monthly payments. This was a big plus for us. I've ordered quite a bit from QVC, and I've never had any problem with their customer service.

Hope this helps,

Melissa

Check closely with the lenses you own and their compatibility with the two cameras you are leaning toward. Unfortunately the D40 and 60 do not have auto focus motors in the camera. If your lens doesn't have this it will still fit and still work, only you'll be unable to use the auto focus feature. You can find lists that show each lens model and its compatibility through a google search. I think Ken's site has one as well.

This should not be an issue with the D80, which has an internal focusing motor. You may even be able to find a great deal on a used one since this model has been around a long time (relatively speaking, in the life span of electronics of course :lol:)

ETA: Here is an awesome site for camera reviews, forums, galleries, and news. I probably spend more time there than I do here, and that's a LOT!!!

Hmmm... My main lens is an AF lens (Macro), but that is something to consider. I wish we could afford to buy a D80 or D90. Dh wants to buy new.

Edited by sagira

Thanks to all! Yesterday dh and I went to Best Buy (30 minutes away from us) and bought a Nikon D40. We got it for only $434, with the Nikkor lens. Thanks to Ken Rockwell's review, we decided it was the best deal and the best camera for us at this time. It's so lightweight too, which is great, as dh has to lug it from work to home all the time.

Now all we have to figure out is how to use the Macro lens and the Macro feature to take pictures of really tiny things (jewelry).

Oh, and both my Sigma lenses fit the new camera.

:D

Thanks to all! Yesterday dh and I went to Best Buy (30 minutes away from us) and bought a Nikon D40. We got it for only $434, with the Nikkor lens. Thanks to Ken Rockwell's review, we decided it was the best deal and the best camera for us at this time. It's so lightweight too, which is great, as dh has to lug it from work to home all the time.

Now all we have to figure out is how to use the Macro lens and the Macro feature to take pictures of really tiny things (jewelry).

Woohoo!!! You will love it!!!!

Great deal for an awesome camera!!! You're going to have a blast with it. Good luck and enjoy it (when dh isn't schlepping it to work ;)).