Menu

How do you keep your tile floor clean?

We moved into our house 1 1/2 years ago, and were blessed/cursed with white tile in the kitchen and laundry/back entry area. It's really pretty when it is clean, but with 5 kids, a dh that wont take his shoes off, and a dog it seems like I rarely get to see the floor! I try to keep it swept and mopped, but it always seems like there is dirt that doesnt get swept up, and once it is wet, then it is stuck to the floor and just gets pushed around. I thought I would love tile floors, but I am ready to pull it up and put down wood (Ha!Ha! like I can afford to do that, but it would be nice!). I would greatly appreciate any tips, ideas or great gadgets that you know of.

Thank you,

I can't wait to see if you get any responses to this. I'm interested also. We just recently moved into a house with light colored tile floors and we have the same problem. I wish I had my wood floors back also. I'm constantly sweeping and mopping (which takes a lot of time). In between mopping, I just use a damp cloth or my finger nail to flick up pieces of stuck on crumbs. Also the grout between my tiles wasn't sealed, so it looks disgusting. I suppose there is a grout sealer that i could buy to seal the grout (just haven't had the time to do that yet either).

We put a white marbled tile in our kitchen too. I love how it looks when it's clean, but it doesn't last long. After 5 years I've decided I mop when I just can't stand it anymore- does that sound gross? It usually is mopped twice a week, and I have gotten to making everyone take off muddy shoes and the like outside, but winter is especially hard. I guess it boils down to no advice here:001_unsure:.

But I'll be watching!

:lurk5:

Oh Katie! I could have posted this! My house was built in 1995, when wallpaper with vegetables and green stripes, and white tile was IN. Immediately after I clean it, it looks dirty. No amount of vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, kicking-out-family-and-dog does the trick. To top it off, when mine gets wet, like tracked in water from rain on your shoes it's as slippery as stepping on an ice rink!

We thought we'd pull it all up and put down hardwoods but that day will most likely never come. It's just too expensive.

No advice, just feelin' your pain!!!

I have tile, but it's a neutral light brown that is pretty good about not showing every speck. My problem is that I have such a vast expanse of it! We have a no shoes rule, and we sweep at least once a week, and we wash every 2-3 weeks. I also keep up with spots inbetween times.

In your situation, I would inform DH that we could either (1) Invest in a Roomba or (2) Institute a NO SHOES rule for ALL--his choice.

We have a Scooba, (robot mop) for our tile floor. It work great - the water comes out black and the floor look terrific.

One downside is that they are not very reliable so I recommend the extended warranty. The other downside it that they are expensive, but it would be much cheaper than replacing your floor.

It is great if you entertain a lot. After prepping all the food for a party, I take a little break while the robot cleans up.

http://store.irobot.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3334444&cp=2804605&ab=CMS_IRBT_StoreHome_043009_Wash

Edited by Ferdie

I use this!! http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Ultra-Steam-Blaster-S3325/dp/B000BQSJVK I love it!! I have all tile floors (white also) and I used to sweep, mop and then dry the floor with towels in order to not get streaks and my back would be broken when I was done. Since I bought this it is so much easier. Now I just sweep and steam clean the floor. It works great and it dries almost instantly so I never have to use towels and it doesn't leave streaks! :) It's so easy that I clean the floor more often now. :)

I have beige ceramic tile in the kitchen, hall and bathroom. I use a Hoover Floor Mate for big cleaning and a swiffer wet jet for day to day cleaning. The Floor Mate is great for scrubbing and it also vacuums up crumbs, etc. It's basically like a carpet cleaner for hard floors.

A good new angled Ocedar broom with a scooper that clamps to the handle. A small handle brush, too, all on hooks at easy grab.

A top drawer stash of bar towels (I got them at costco). Get them wet with hot water, wring, drop a pair on the floor (spread out flat like a pair of magic carpets), step on them, and "chug" around the kitchen at least once a day. You can rinse, wring, and hand under the sink until grimy. You could assign a child a "chug" chore. It takes all of one minute and you mostly have to go around the base of the counters. Do a Tom Sawyer and the whitewashed fence by tooting your horn and having such fun.

Easy reach to supplies, and nice quality, is very important.

Now you know what I do after dinner. :)