Menu

Geography at the high school level?

I've been wanting my 9th grader to do World Geography next year, but haven't had luck finding one written for the High School level. Am I missing something?

I guess I'm 'aged' but I did World Geography in 9th grade (public school, eons ago) and I liked having it at that more 'developed' stage in my life instead of just earlier years.

The National Geographic site has a set of projects for high schoolers that are excellent, according to someone on TWTM site who is a geographer.

Or we did a combination of travel, a current events journal, The Geography Colouring Book, the Teaching Company's People and Cultures of the World, Hope's Edge, Material World, National Geographic articles, Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the United Nations, and thanks to Joan in Geneve, a geography book written in English from Europe, which my son is just reading. We've done this a little at a time over all of high school.

BJU and Runkle both have geography texts. The Runkle text is world physical geography (mapping work, but lots of earth science). The Runkle student text has the student memorize countries and major landmarks.

My son did AP human geography through PA Homeschoolers and used the Fellman, Getis text, as well as Kuby -- both human geography texts.

Lisa

because he is terrible at knowing where things are in the world!! I have decided to use Trail Guide to World geo. by Wiggers. It is a more hands-on approach and can be made for the high school level. I am going to have him use the Ultimate Guide for Geo. that they recommend for high school level and do most all of the activities suggested. He will keep a well-detailed notebook and that will be most of his grade (a long with written reports and projects). The book suggests watching travel videos from the library often, so we'll probably do that and research some missionaries to the countries we are studying.

It just seemed more "fun" than just sitting and reading a textbook about geography and answering questions. It is going to take a little of my time this summer to schedule his daily work, but I think he will learn a lot about his world and have a great keepsake notebook when he is done.

Just another idea!

I found it was easy for me to use because of the way the lessons were planned out. I didn't have to fool around figuring out how much to do and when. It was a good course, a tad bit preachy at times. But, we just skipped some of the missions content when it got heavy handed. It really didn't detract from the course for us.

The National Geographic site has a set of projects for high schoolers that are excellent, according to someone on TWTM site who is a geographer.

That is me- Thanks Nan! I agree I think NG has the best sites and lesson plans and it is most closely linked to college type geography, with all levels. Travel, read, learn about relationships of the people to the land, the resources. My biggest advice is to read current events and locate them on a map, write a journal page on them. All of our freshman, and sophs did that.

Many thanks to all. I had forgotten to check out the 'regular' curricula folks as we so rarely use them preferring instead to pick and choose others.

I will now start comparing with my new list...

For what it's worth, I firmly agree with the travel bit - till the economy gave us a hit. We've been to 49 of the 50 states (need Alaska) and the eastern half of Canada, but instead of expanding to more of the world as we had hoped, we're here being thankful to earn enough to pay bills and hopefully college for my oldest in 2010. Such is life.

We used Mapping the World by Heart with the Hewitt High school syllabus. My kids are working on their maps by heart now - it's pretty cool. The Hewitt syllabus includes writing a report on one country in every continent as well as the MTWBH exercises.

I am selling this if you are interested.

Or we did a combination of travel, a current events journal, The Geography Colouring Book, the Teaching Company's People and Cultures of the World, Hope's Edge, Material World, National Geographic articles, Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the United Nations, and thanks to Joan in Geneve, a geography book written in English from Europe, which my son is just reading. We've done this a little at a time over all of high school.

:blink: Wow--that's a lot of work for geography!

And for the 'rest' of us----Ace was a great geography course for dd, but the Trail Guide with the CD of printable maps and notebooking pages is good too! They both get the job done easily and well :D

Lots of work, yes, but I lumped quite a lot of social studies under the heading of geography. I began by just having my son do things I thought he should do for his general education, and only towards the end (about when I looked at the National Geographic site LOL), discovered that all the pieces had a label! I had been thinking of it as sort of "how the world works". I tend to go for the lllaarrrggeee labels GRIN, like natural history and geography, the ones that cover vast amounts of material.

We used Mapping the World by Heart with the Hewitt High school syllabus. My kids are working on their maps by heart now - it's pretty cool. The Hewitt syllabus includes writing a report on one country in every continent as well as the MTWBH exercises.

I am selling this if you are interested.

Interesting. Can you give more details on what the Hewitt syllabus adds to MTWBH? I used MTWBH several years ago with my oldest 3 and will be doing that again (along with Runkles) for middle schoolers. When I first purchased MTWBH, I thought they'd forgotten to include the lesson plans in mine! :001_huh: I added in lots of other activities and books to flesh it out, but I'd be interested to see what Hewitt does with it.

Thanks,

Lisa

Oak Meadow has a high school geography course, if I recall correctly it uses a Glencoe text. I have no experience with it but am impressed by OM's high school biology course so far and would assume that the rest of their high school courses are as well organized and thorough.

Don't you have to be Mormon to take BYU courses? Does BYU insert Mormon theology into courses like BJU or Seton?

I downloaded the free course files today and am planning on taking a look at it. Upon a cursory glance it does not appear to contain Mormon theology.