Menu

Helping a beginning reader improve

mindygz

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have only recently fully committed to the WTM approach. My oldest daughter turns 7 in a couple of weeks and she is still very much a beginning reader. She has trouble remembering and instantly recognizing words she's learned, even if they are simple and she's known them for a long time she still often tries to sound them out. In kindergarten I used the Ordinary Parent's Guide, but she seemed to really dread it, so I stopped that (I'm not opposed to trying it again) and tried just working with books and such. Last fall we started with Explode the Code and that seems to be a pretty good fit (she's in book 3 now) but I am not sure what else will be the most beneficial to better cement the words she learns in her mind. I have her read a reader-type book out loud to me every day. She doesn't seem very motivated to work on her own at reading, and I'd love to find a way to ignite the spark of enthusiasm.

I'd really appreciate thoughts and suggestions. I'm considering scaling back on everything else through the summer and just focusing on reading skills, I just need some guidance.

Thank you!

My dd is *not* a visual learner (sounds like yours might not be too). Spelling has been much easier than reading for her until just the last week or so. Instead of using a phonics program we have been using All About Spelling. This has been working very well for her and we use the word cards from AAS to play games to practice reading. Playing games has really made reading fun for her. Something clicked with her recently and she's been reading easy readers from the library with some help, and she will read them over and over again to anyone who will listen. Reading would be a good focus for the summer. Keep it fun and try having her spell the words as she is learning to read them (you could use ETC words or pull out OPGTR for this).

Spelling really helps cement the sounds in their brains.

You can also try my game, it's a fun way to learn:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

And, I would try working from a white board instead of from the book with OPG. I did Webster's Speller with my daughter on the white board, she liked working from the white board much better than working from a book.

We did a mix of oral and written spelling. You can do your "written" spelling with magnetic letters if writing is a painful process or will slow her down.

It takes a lot of practice blending the words over and over again and sounding them out until it becomes automatic. Also, until they've learned all the sounds so that they can sound out every word they learn, reading is difficult and not that much fun. I find it better to push through the phonics quickly and then move on to reading.

Lisa, I think you are right--I don't think she is a visual learner. She is quite good at spelling and drawing, so perhaps a more active/hands-on approach will help.

ElizabethB, I will definitely try your game with her. Thank you! And I'll bet the white board would be useful, too.

Suzanne115, I really like the idea of using high-interest books with her, I just don't know what those are for her. :tongue_smilie:

I think we'll try the game, plus OPG with white board, and I found the Blend Phonics while searching the forum, so I think we'll incorporate that as well.

Thanks for your input. I am grateful to have these forums as a resource!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have only recently fully committed to the WTM approach. My oldest daughter turns 7 in a couple of weeks and she is still very much a beginning reader. She has trouble remembering and instantly recognizing words she's learned, even if they are simple and she's known them for a long time she still often tries to sound them out. In kindergarten I used the Ordinary Parent's Guide, but she seemed to really dread it, so I stopped that (I'm not opposed to trying it again) and tried just working with books and such. Last fall we started with Explode the Code and that seems to be a pretty good fit (she's in book 3 now) but I am not sure what else will be the most beneficial to better cement the words she learns in her mind. I have her read a reader-type book out loud to me every day. She doesn't seem very motivated to work on her own at reading, and I'd love to find a way to ignite the spark of enthusiasm.

I'd really appreciate thoughts and suggestions. I'm considering scaling back on everything else through the summer and just focusing on reading skills, I just need some guidance.

Thank you!

My ds has been such a hesatant reader. I have used several different programs, HOP for the last couple of year but it just seemed like he hadn't improved a whole lot. Just this spring I got him the R&S first grade reading/phonics set and we have been working through them along with the Yesterday Classics Reading-Literature. He has really taken off with these. When I started him in the Reading-Literature Primer he fell in love with it. Each story is about 10 pgs long and we did one story per day. Has lots of repitition to it.

He so loves these that he has asked me to not sell the R&S nor the Yesterday Classics. For him they are keepers.

I have been noticing that he is even reading things on his computer games that he used to ask me to read.

Spell to Write and Read

http://www.bhibooks.net/swr.html

OPGTR flopped with us too - my ds6 HAS to spell it, write it and work with it before it becomes automatic. We went through sections A-I (13 weeks) of SWR, and then started back at Section A (the author recommends repeating A-I for beginners). We just finished section E for the 2nd time, and I am seeing that "click." right now.

SWR can be confusing to figure out the TM....but it's working. I do tweak some. I have my ds6 spell with magnets first, study the word and how it is written/practice writing 2nd, and then dictate like the book instructs 3rd. We do copywork sentences composed of spelling words, and use the phonograms for penmanship practice.

I would suggest choosing a phonics program and use it. Most of them are pretty good. When you have her read aloud, let her read the same thing for at least 3-5 days in a row. Make sure it is short enough to not frustrate her. When she misses a word, provide it without comment and let her move on. She should read the same selection until she can read it fluently. That will build confidence and encourage fluency while reading.

My ds7 is finishing first grade and just a month ago was still really stuggling with Level 1 readers. We made a deal, when he can read any level 3 reader I give him then we'll finally let him watch Star Wars Episode 1. He's been begging for this for a year now. I'm amazed how much his reading had improved in the last month! :D:D

It's all about the motivation!!!! (Although some kids just naturally take longer than others, dd12 was reading at 4 and dd4 will probably start in the next year....).

(Now ds10 and dd12 are begging for a goal that will get them in on this deal with little bro!).

My ds has been such a hesatant reader. I have used several different programs, HOP for the last couple of year but it just seemed like he hadn't improved a whole lot. Just this spring I got him the R&S first grade reading/phonics set and we have been working through them along with the Yesterday Classics Reading-Literature.

Could you tell me what R&S is? I'm not up on all the abbreviations quite yet. :001_smile:

I would suggest choosing a phonics program and use it. Most of them are pretty good. When you have her read aloud, let her read the same thing for at least 3-5 days in a row. Make sure it is short enough to not frustrate her. When she misses a word, provide it without comment and let her move on. She should read the same selection until she can read it fluently. That will build confidence and encourage fluency while reading.

This sounds so simple & obvious. Why haven't I been doing it? Thank you!

ElizabethB, we started doing your phonics lessons this week and have done the first five. I think they will be really good for her. I thought it might be helpful to do something where the instruction wasn't coming from me. It seems to be working thus far. Thank you.

None of my kids were motivated readers much at first. One did like the Bob Books and Sing, Spell, Read and Write phonetic books. One read a couple of these over and over, which is really good to do.

When it was slow, I would read a page between their reading, or even a sentence between their reading. Reading aloud interesting books can relieve the hard work of beginning reading, so they can enjoy stories still.

We used A Beka Language books to really drill on the phonics a little at a time.

Don't forget letting the kids "write" their own stories - tell then on tape or you write their stories as they recount them verbally. It's all about having a love for language, communication and imagination.

do you allow her on the computer much? A friend referred me to this website and my kindergartner's reading took off!

It's set up similar to Club Penguin and Webkinz, in that the kids earn points for their reading exercises and then can decorate their clubhouse. It does cost $30/year for a membership, but I think it's worth it compared to the cost of some reading programs...and he "enjoys" it.

They do offer a free trial membership. Try it out for a couple of weeks and see how she likes it.

Just a little encouragement here. With DS we read lots of books, he knew the alphabet and the sounds of each letter when he was 2.5, we did Phonics Pathways, he practiced with Bob Books and little stories I wrote for him. But DS' reading didn't take off until mid-way through 2nd grade (7.5yo.) I walked past the room he was in and had to do a double-take. He was voluntarily reading a Star Wars chapter book! Up until that time he would moan and groan about any reading and seemed to really struggle over even simple sentences. Clearly this was the motivation he needed. There was something he wanted to read and for whatever reason I was unavailable so he just did it--it clicked.

He's an excellent reader now, consistently scoring well on standardized tests and has just completed most of the readings in Omnibus II.

Blessings!

• 5 weeks later...
Just a little encouragement here. With DS we read lots of books, he knew the alphabet and the sounds of each letter when he was 2.5, we did Phonics Pathways, he practiced with Bob Books and little stories I wrote for him. But DS' reading didn't take off until mid-way through 2nd grade (7.5yo.)

He's an excellent reader now, consistently scoring well on standardized tests and has just completed most of the readings in Omnibus II.

Blessings!

Thank you so much, that is good to hear. I have heard that in most kids, eventually something "clicks" and they take off. I guess for now we just keep building skills. :)