Menu

SOTW CDs read by Barbara Alan Johnson - WWYD?

I have both the SOTW 1 and SOTW 2 CDs recorded by Barbara Alan Johnson. They are in the original packages, in perfect condition. We listened to them once, and I have been planning to use them again when we go through the next SOTW cycle at our house.

At one point, I considered swapping them for a set of SOTW 1 & 2 CDs read by Jim Weiss on the S&S board, but now I see that they are listed for the astronomical price of nearly $300.00 apiece on Amazon.

I can't imagine selling them for that price - it almost seems like robbery, but then again, I may be able to sell them for as much or more than I paid for them rather than simply swapping them.

If I did that, it would help offset the cost of curriculum materials for next year, which would be a big help to us financially.

WWYD?

Edited by ELaurie

I think that just because it is listed at this price, doesnt mean that you will find any buyers for it. I believe that the used books, CDs, etc. on those boards automatically are listed for ridiculous prices when there are few for sale. I cannot imagine anyone actually paying that price, lol.

Kim

I think that just because it is listed at this price, doesnt mean that you will find any buyers for it. I believe that the used books, CDs, etc. on those boards automatically are listed for ridiculous prices when there are few for sale. I cannot imagine anyone actually paying that price, lol.

Kim

Well, as I said, the Amazon price is astronomical. I think it would be crazy to try to sell them for anywhere near that price :tongue_smilie: and I wouldn't feel right about doing it, especially if I were selling them to another home schooling parent.

$300?!? Really??? :001_huh:

I still have the originals with Barbara Johnson, too. And although I wasn't planning on getting rid of them any time soon, I have wondered in the back of my head how difficult it would be to eventually sell them. I mean, everyone LOVES Jim Weiss, right? :D

Maybe I should rethink my options. :lol:

I have never heard the ones read by Barbara Johnson, so I'm not certain that I would lover her narration, but I have to admit that I really don't care much for listening to the voice of Jim Weiss.:blushing: I know that he is highly regarded by many, but something about his voice and reading just doesn't appeal to me. We have the SOTW 1 cd's read by him, but I don't think I'll be buying any of the others. So, perhaps there are others who would highly vaule a reading done by someone else, but $300 does still seem a bit much.

Edited by gandpsmommy

I seem to recall a thread (perhaps on the K-8 Board) about some folks not liking Jim Weiss's voice or finding his reading of the SOTW books a little too eerie or something. I suppose that is why there is still a demand for the Johnson CDs.

We have the Jim Weiss version at our public library. Perhaps your library has a copy and you can listen to them first before deciding to swap or sell. You never know, you may not like them either. It would be a shame to find that out after you've sold the others.

If you do decide to sell, well, it may seem wrong to sell them at a profit, especially a large profit, but I think it is fair to sell them at whatever the market will bear. I only say that to point out you need not feel guilty if you decide to go that route. I mean, you're not putting a gun to anyone's head - no one has to buy them. You can offer them at whatever price for which you are willing to part with them and anyone interested has the option of buying or not buying. You will soon find out how high folks are willing to go - that's what an auction is for.

Of course, you can also sell them for much less than the market will bear if you want to give another homeschool family a break. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to find that someone, seeing your low price, might buy them just to sell them at a profit themselves.

All that to say, you are entitled to ask whatever you want and buyers have always got the option of looking elsewhere if they don't like your price.

ETA: Gandpsmommy got it said before I clicked "submit" - there are some folks who don't care for Weiss's version.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

I have both the SOTW 1 and SOTW 2 CDs recorded by Barbara Alan Johnson. They are in the original packages, in perfect condition. We listened to them once, and I have been planning to use them again when we go through the next SOTW cycle at our house.

At one point, I considered swapping them for a set of SOTW 1 & 2 CDs read by Jim Weiss on the S&S board, but now I see that they are listed for the astronomical price of nearly $300.00 apiece on Amazon.

I can't imagine selling them for that price - it almost seems like robbery, but then again, I may be able to sell them for as much or more than I paid for them rather than simply swapping them.

If I did that, it would help offset the cost of curriculum materials for next year, which would be a big help to us financially.

WWYD?

As soon as something is out of print, Amazon marketplace sellers try to get very high prices. I doubt they get what they're asking for very often. I know I would never pay $300 for them.

Of course, you have every right to try. It's not like someone cannot live without the CDs, and there's always Jim Weiss' voice. You might end up waiting a long time for them to sell, though.

FWIW: My son loves each person's voice equally, and since he's the one that listens to them, that's all that matters to me. But still, I would never spend $300.

Edited by nestof3

The large Marketplace sellers on Amazon use automated software that automatically jacks up the price if something is in short supply. I've seen very ordinary homeschool curriculum that is available elsewhere for $10-15 appear on Amazon for hundreds of dollars just because there are only a few copies for sale and Amazon themselves doesn't sell it anymore.

Of course you might sell it for that in the end, but I've been selling on Amazon Marketplace for over a decade and haven never been able to jump on that type of wagon...my things that I've tried to price that high because of other listings don't move until I drop the price to something reasonable!

I have the SOTW 2 audio by B. Johnson and was planning on selling it for a little less than I paid. There is no way anyone is going to pay any more than original price for it. We barely listened to it as we replaced it for the one by Jim Weiss. Some do prefer BJ over JW so I'm hopeful someone will buy it.

Holy Moly! Ok, well I have Vol 1 and 2 read by Barbara Johnson, we enjoyed her reading, but had the Jim Weiss volumes been available we'd have bought those instead, as we've been fans for years.

But, hey, if anyone really wants the Johnson volumes, I'll sell them to you for the low low price of $200!

Hmmm, doubt I'm gonna get many takers even at that "discount" price, so what do you think a reasonable price WOULD be? I can't remember what I paid for them it's been so long ago, and looking on ebay there aren't even any copies available.

Seriously...any idea what reasonable would be?

Seriously...any idea what reasonable would be?

That's what I am wondering too.

A poster above suggested selling them for a little less than retail price. My thought is that they would probably sell for the same price as a new set of SOTW CD's read by Jim Weiss, or for slightly more, since they are no longer available, and some prefer the BAJ recordings to JW.

If I sold them for enough to cover the cost of a new set of CD's recorded by JW, plus my shipping costs, I would feel like I made a reasonably good deal. Those who prefer the BAJ recordings might be willing to pay a premium for them, but I'm not sure how much. $10? $20? I can't imagine it would be a lot more than that.

If you can get the $300 absolutely sell them. You have something you don't value at $300, someone else does. There is nothing even slightly unethical about engaging in a transaction that satisfies the needs of both parties and in no way promotes immoral behavior.

If you can get the $300 absolutely sell them. You have something you don't value at $300, someone else does. There is nothing even slightly unethical about engaging in a transaction that satisfies the needs of both parties and in no way promotes immoral behavior.

I couldnt agree more.