Menu

Weird dream question ...

Unfortunately my dd has bad dreams about me like you mention. She actually talked to a therapist about it who said that usually we create "worst case scenarios" in our dreams to work through our real-life fears. For my daughter, the worst case would be that the one person she relies on most in the world would not be there for her, and would not stop the "bad guys." I'm not sure how true that all is, but I like to try to believe that is the case.

Can I hijack this for a second?

What does it mean when dreams repeat? Especially when the settings are exactly the same.

For instance, I dream that I'm back in school, signed up for five classes, but only remembered to attend four for the whole semester. Toward the end, I realize that I never showed up for the fifth class and never canceled it, so now I'm going to fail it and it will affect my grade point average. I now have to trot over to admissions a week before the end of the semester so it won't show up on my transcript. It weird because I have had that same dream about five times in the last two years, and I haven't been to college in years, nor am I currently taking any kind of class. So what does that mean?

I hope it doesn't mean I'm losing my mind! :eek:

For instance, I dream that I'm back in school, signed up for five classes, but only remembered to attend four for the whole semester. Toward the end, I realize that I never showed up for the fifth class and never canceled it, so now I'm going to fail it and it will affect my grade point average. I now have to trot over to admissions a week before the end of the semester so it won't show up on my transcript. It weird because I have had that same dream about five times in the last two years, and I haven't been to college in years, nor am I currently taking any kind of class. So what does that mean?

I don't know what it means, but I have had that exact same dream over and over (and over!) throughout the years. I graduated from college in 1989, but I still have the dream!

There are two more dreams that I've had with regularity over the years, one of them since I was a little girl (ummm . . . I dream that my mother and I are contestants on MatchGame '75! How is *that* for a stupid, repetitive dream?).

I do. I still have bad dreams about my father every once in a while. I used to have nightmares much more often before I had kids. My dad was very abusive to me and the rest of my family, so I always figured my nightmares were warranted, so to speak. Once when I was in my early twenties, I was so afraid of having a bad dream about him, that I didn't let myself sleep for three weeks. A little therapy and I was better, but it wasn't until I was pregnant with my firstborn that I conquered my dad dreams- I had a dream where he was coming after my newborn baby, and I fought him off- very violently, like a mama lion. I have only had a few dad-related nightmares since then.

I have never had a bad dream about my mama.

Probably more than you wanted to know, lol.

Can I hijack this for a second?

What does it mean when dreams repeat? Especially when the settings are exactly the same.

I had this dream for about three months, then when I got my grade report, I found out why. I had signed up for five classes (and a lab) and only went to four of them. I had two big ol' F's on the transcript.

I got to go beg and cry to the registrar. :eek:

I am constantly dreaming I am going to school and usually I am much younger (like 10 or 12) and can't find where I am supposed to go or their is a uniform I am supposed to wear and I can't find it or it doesn't fit or something.

I guess my dreams are just about nothing going right it seems. Sometimes life feels that way too, now that I think about it. SHEESH!

Does anyone have dreams about their parents in which your parents are either uncooperative or even just plain mean? ... or is it just me?

Since we're talking about dreams....I alway have the recurring dream that I'm in high school again, trying out for cheerleader,but I forgot to learn the cheer. I'm standing there, in front of everyone like a big dummy! Real deep, huh!

I hear you about the school dreams. I also have dreams where I am back at my first "real" job, but now- like I am trying to get my work done while juggling the kids at work.

If dreams are going to be repetitive, why can't it be the flying dreams that repeat?! I lay in bed sometimes, wishing for a flying dream (or a pogosticking dream- I sometimes have these amazing dreams where I can jump or pogostick about half a block each jump!). It just doesn't happen enough!

I shout at my parents a lot in my dreams (in fact I dreamt about this last night!). I think it is because I am usually the peacemaker in the family. I wait up from these dreams exhausted. I hope they never happen in real life!

Lorna

IRL, I am very close to my mom. In dreams I find myself yelling at her a lot. It is exhausting...the theory that my sub-conscious is creating a worst case scenerio for me to deal with makes sense to me.

My dreams in general are very very vivid and sometimes just leave me aching with longing for what is gone or for what I won't have...or laughing out loud at something in my dream. I dream in color. I also am a lucid dreamer. It is like a movie camera in my dream going in one direction...and then I think 'ummm...no, I don't want to dream THAT I want to dream THIS' and I turn the camera to another path.

IRL, I am very close to my mom. In dreams I find myself yelling at her a lot. It is exhausting...the theory that my sub-conscious is creating a worst case scenerio for me to deal with makes sense to me.

Thank you for saying this. I know that the first thing one thinks of when you have a dream like that is that the parent must be awful. My daughter feels just terrible after these dreams, and she doesn't understand why she has them. She is trying to learn to do as you do with controlling the dream once in it. She and I both are very lucid dreamers, in color (can't imagine dreaming in b&w) and often.

I have that college dream about realizing I registered for more classes too late. I also have a recurring dream that actually happened in real life once. I used to do sound and lighting for bands at a nightclub. There was a house band that played there six nights a week, and a few of the members were pranksters. Well, one night, the sound guy and I were outside during a break, and the band decided it was time to start the next set. So they started without us--with no lights or sound other than the stage sound of their instruments! We had to run through the kitchen and up a flight of stairs to get to the sound booth. I have dreams about that often, but I am unable to run. My legs move but I go nowhere, kinda feels like I am running through waist-deep syrup. Or the stairs become endless and I just keep running. Or I am at the club and I think I have the night off, but it is really my night and the band starts and I can't get to the booth.

I've had dreams like this too, about my abusive dad.

He and my mom are both long-dead. My strangest dreams are when I see them alive somewhere and I have to chase them and ask them where they have been all these years.

They always have these vague non-answers. I'm really angry but I accept their lame answers any way!

unsinkable