Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Feb 2018

Granny_Weatherwax

Today, I did my 60 min walk with 30 min of embedded jogging intervals in shorts and a tee shirt!  The sunset was nothing spectacular and there aren't many signs of spring yet, but the temp was lovely! 

And.. I came home and did flexibility exercises before showering. Now I'm good for the night! 

• Like 4

in case you wondered why....because I have a hard time reaching it and I find that very embarrassing...LOL

really part of the reason I am not doing weights is because I feel unsure and embarrassed about it...which I know is stupid, but just being honest!

I see people of all types on the machines at PF where I am so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m fairly confident that you wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t look even the slightest bit out of place. Do you have a big bald guy to go with you? I find that helps me. :p My motto is, when it doubt, take the bald guy. Or a friend? A teenager? Someone you can stand next to and take up space with?

This YouTube channel has videos showing how all the machines a PF work, how you can adjust them, etc - https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCnA2IGSh8jOPPiz20oamKzA

TheyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re really short videos and not at all encyclopedic, but maybe it might help? At my PF, the machines in the circuit area look different than the ones in the main area. The ones in the video look more like the ones in the main area at my PF.

• Like 3

The rain moved out and we got 2 walks in today. 

I did weights at the gym, I focused on form and not adding on weights. My shoulders muscles are sore and I'm not sure why, so weird.

Day 2 of my period- no cramps and still a good mood

Supper tonight- roasted chickpeas, cauliflower, red pepper, and purple onion- 

Last night I made ratatouille, I can't get enough veggies!

It's great to hear that your energy is good! And congrats on inches lost! I also hold to fat in some areas more than others. Since the beginning of the year I lost 2 inches off my waist and barely half an inch off my hips. I am happy that it is not the other way around, but still. And it's funny how differently we perceive our sizes. I am totally fine with the number on the scale, it is just a number to me, but measuring... I now *see* all the padding I still have and I feel worse than how I did when I only looked at the scale, and that is after I lost some weight and gained some muscles.

I am not sure I can help much with meal prep. DH's breakfast is usually oatmeal (just 1 min oatmeal and water) with fruit, sometimes with a latte. I do think I need to add some protein to it, but not yet sure how. I need to think about it. Lunches are fine, mostly some protein with vegetables/salads or (rarely) something like rice or buckwheat. Dinners are the same. He is getting between 35 and 50% of carbs now, down from probably 80. But I realized that he just has no concept of hunger. For him, food is purely entertainment. So I pack two small lunches for him. But still, a couple days he went as low as 1100 Cal and said he felt full. I now make sure he doesn't go as low. On the other hand, when he cooked his oatmeal for the first time, he accidentally doubled the portion, and barely realized it. He asked what he did wrong because he couldn't fit his berries into the same bowl.  I guess he didn't feel any difference while eating all of it.

I did my full body workout yesterday. Back to fencing tonight.

Interesting about measuring. I guess I could see that with measuring you are somewhat examing all the fat. I just do a couple of quick measures, I don't check everywhere and I generally think of myself as smaller when I'm n*ked then when I'm dressed (I know that is opposite of most people too!). That is absolutely great progress on your measurements, we must be similarly built, like you I'm happier it's on my hips than waist but it is still a bit annoying. 

My husband usually eats pretty light but his appetite has been crazy lately, complaining I'm not feeding him enough. I told him I haven't changed serving sizes, you're appetite has just changed. I think the instant oatmeal is probably one I'll get for dh for a quick meal.

I missed my Tuesday run due to a dinner we had to go to, then I missed my Saturday run because of a board education session I was in. I did make it to the gym on Wednesday, Friday, and Monday. It was beautiful (-2 but sunny!) yesterday, so in addition to the gym in the morning I also got out for a 5km run at 5pm. Today, I'm running with my group at 5:45.

I am cutting down my time with my trainer - trying to spend a little more conservatively - so I'll be hitting the gym once a week and working out at home twice a week. My trainer is going to help me develop an at-home plan and I'll probably go in for an extra training session every four or five weeks just to check up on the things I'm doing at home. 

Sounds like a good plan, I understand cutting back on spending.

Wow! Great progress! And nice work staying off the scale and focusing on actual visible progress. I want to get to that point eventually. 

I made breakfast slices for dh and I a while back (when we were eating breakfast). I cooked up sausage or bacon, diced it, added in diced red peppers, mushrooms, and shredded cheese and then poured in beaten eggs. I cooked it in a big lasagna pan and first I lined the pan with parchment paper. Once it's cooked, I cut the whole thing into almost bread sized slices and put some in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Then we warmed them in the toaster oven, but they could easily be microwaved, too.

Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 2

Soror---breakfast options: 

I have made the egg "muffin" things before: oil a muffin tin. In each cup, put some cooked veges of your choice. It could be leftovers from dinner or I personally like to do spinach to get in a green leafy vege first thing. Beat eggs and put on top of veges. (It's about 1 egg per cup but it depends on how much vege is in the bottom.) Bake at 350 till done. If you want a more specific recipe, just google it. 

Easier for me now is a frittata. I usually make a large saute pan at the beginning of the week. It can make 4 servings of 2 eggs each. Pretty much the same thing as the muffins: I put the veges in the bottom and add whisked eggs. I cook mine on the stove top at a low-medium heat with a lid on, but some people do them in the oven. You can add cheese the last minute or so if you want. I add guacamole because I love avocado and the creaminess is nice. 

Oatmeal: I add a scoop of pumpkin puree (like you'd use to make pie) , pumpkin pie spices, and a chopped apple and because I like chocolate, a spoon of cocoa. Plain cocoa (not the mix) has fiber and not very many carbs. The pumpkin also gives fiber, vitamin A, etc. So the oatmeal levels the appetite pretty well and you get in some veges/fruits. 

Thank you for the ideas. I appreciate all of them, I'm going to run them by dh and see what sounds good to him and might steal some for myself too :) 

• Like 1

I'd prefer something other than the lat pull down.  The others I'll do.  They have this 30 minute circuit thing.  I might try that.

You can do a lot of simple, yet effective strengthening exercises with those big rubber band things. And they look so professional and cool that you'd totally scare everyone using the boring old free weights and machines. ;)

I think the weirder and more unique the object you use to exercise, the less people know about it. It's very impressive. It's all about your confidence and knowledge about what muscles you want to work on. 

• Like 3

I see people of all types on the machines at PF where I am so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m fairly confident that you wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t look even the slightest bit out of place. Do you have a big bald guy to go with you? I find that helps me. :p My motto is, when it doubt, take the bald guy. Or a friend? A teenager? Someone you can stand next to and take up space with?

This YouTube channel has videos showing how all the machines a PF work, how you can adjust them, etc - https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCnA2IGSh8jOPPiz20oamKzA

TheyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re really short videos and not at all encyclopedic, but maybe it might help? At my PF, the machines in the circuit area look different than the ones in the main area. The ones in the video look more like the ones in the main area at my PF.

I don't have a big bald guy to go with me. LOL

Thanks, I will check out the videos! 

I chickened out. 

I'm currently dressed for the gym...I'll be leaving in a bit. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

You can do a lot of simple, yet effective strengthening exercises with those big rubber band things. And they look so professional and cool that you'd totally scare everyone using the boring old free weights and machines. ;)

I think the weirder and more unique the object you use to exercise, the less people know about it. It's very impressive. It's all about your confidence and knowledge about what muscles you want to work on. 

LOL

I actually think I'd more likely get it done if I had something to do at home.  I guess I am just annoyed with the idea of futzing with the machines.  It takes a lot of time because setting up, adjusting everything, wiping everything off, etc.  I want to be done quickly because I don't really want to spend more time on it. 

• Like 4

LOL

I actually think I'd more likely get it done if I had something to do at home.  I guess I am just annoyed with the idea of futzing with the machines.  It takes a lot of time because setting up, adjusting everything, wiping everything off, etc.  I want to be done quickly because I don't really want to spend more time on it. 

:iagree:   Totally agree. Gyms are for getting in and out again, then enjoying the rest of the day.

Tennis, skiing and snowshoeing are about enjoying the activity.  :laugh:  At least they are for me. 

• Like 5

Zumba tonight, which includes flexibility. 

We have 3 spring-like days coming up this week,, so I'll do most of my exercise outside. I will find something moderate to do tomorrow and then do machines at the gym. Friday, I should be able to do the walk/jog thing. That would leave a moderate hike Sat with some strength training. 

The weather is so nice because I'm such a cold wimp, but like I said upthread, it worries me. It's not supposed to be this way. 

• Like 4

I've been in a funk all day. I don't know why, though. I did weigh in for the first time this month and have not lost a damned thing. Nothing. I cannot believe it. That's probably why I'm feeling off.

My eating was decent today, definitely low cal with lots of water. I led practice for 2.5 hours and then went back with DGD and hit some balls with her.

I just don't understand my body.

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 3

Ran on the treadmill yesterday with some strength training. I need to do something today, but havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t settled on just what yet. Either the bike for some cross training or hill intervals on the treadmill.

Since someone at my house has had some sort of GI upset since the 8th, food here has rested solidly in the bland solids department which I am now sick of. I have seen multiple large salads on the internet and TV which has felt like torture. I have to be extra cautious with those who appear back to their normal selves because there have been reoccurrences if the child returned to normal eating in less than a week after the first appearance of symptoms. I miss our usual dinners. I miss flavor. I miss large amounts of vegetables. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to figure this out for next week. Maybe I can do the component approach. Also, am really hoping the lab work for dd illuminates something for her or that the doctor has some suggestions on what we can do. It has been the longest for her.

Also, stress is up this month, moreso than the usual February stress.

• Like 4

ITA with you all on the gym, I'd much rather be outside if at all possible, lifting while the kids do TKD is efficient but I don't want to go there a ton otherwise. I can't wrap my brain around going there for cardio unless the weather is bad b/c walking outside is soooo much better for me. I didn't walk at all yesterday it was rainy all day. It is warming up today and the rain is gone for the moment so I hope to at least get a little walk in, lifting tonight. I'm still sore from Tuesday so we'll see how it goes. Today is rows, barbell press (new exercise), and deadlifts.

Ran on the treadmill yesterday with some strength training. I need to do something today, but havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t settled on just what yet. Either the bike for some cross training or hill intervals on the treadmill.

Since someone at my house has had some sort of GI upset since the 8th, food here has rested solidly in the bland solids department which I am now sick of. I have seen multiple large salads on the internet and TV which has felt like torture. I have to be extra cautious with those who appear back to their normal selves because there have been reoccurrences if the child returned to normal eating in less than a week after the first appearance of symptoms. I miss our usual dinners. I miss flavor. I miss large amounts of vegetables. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to figure this out for next week. Maybe I can do the component approach. Also, am really hoping the lab work for dd illuminates something for her or that the doctor has some suggestions on what we can do. It has been the longest for her.

Also, stress is up this month, moreso than the usual February stress.

(hugs) that has to be a huge stress. I had a horrific stomach bug in July and it took over a month for things to return to normal. I finally added in Florastor probotics and my gut seems good now. That totally stinks with the food. I think doing components sounds like a fine idea. I often cook different stuff for me or just different sides. I like veggies more than the rest of the family

I've been in a fink all day. I don't know why, though. I did weigh in for the first time this month and have not lost a damned thing. Nothing. I cannot believe it. That's probably why I'm feeling off.

My eating was decent today, definitely low cal with lots of water. I lead practice for 2.5 hours and then went back with DGD and hit some balls with her.

(hugs) I'm sure we've talked about before- have you gotten a thyroid and hormone check? Are the depression meds associated with any weight gain? Do you track your food? I know you are active. I put away my scale b/c it was annoying me. I'm active I eat good foods and am not overeating (journalling to keep accountable). My size is going down bit by bit. I don't know about the weight but the weight is just a number. You are obviously pretty healthy to be able to be as active as you are, even if the body fat is so stubborn.

Zumba tonight, which includes flexibility. 

We have 3 spring-like days coming up this week,, so I'll do most of my exercise outside. I will find something moderate to do tomorrow and then do machines at the gym. Friday, I should be able to do the walk/jog thing. That would leave a moderate hike Sat with some strength training. 

The weather is so nice because I'm such a cold wimp, but like I said upthread, it worries me. It's not supposed to be this way. 

Have fun at Zumba.

I went for a hike in the woods with a friend while our boys played shinny hockey. (I love the term "shinny hockey")  It finally stopped raining!

It stopped raining here too (although it is coming back), so nice to hike in the woods with friends.

• Like 4

I've been in a funk all day. I don't know why, though. I did weigh in for the first time this month and have not lost a damned thing. Nothing. I cannot believe it. That's probably why I'm feeling off.

My eating was decent today, definitely low cal with lots of water. I led practice for 2.5 hours and then went back with DGD and hit some balls with her.

Are you measuring your achievements in any way besides a weight scale?  I know you take detailed notes of your activities, so focus on the positive things you are doing. Set some goals related to these, and forget the scale. Find other things to measure your progress that get you more information about the strength you are gaining, the skills you are learning and the good foods you are eating. Weight doesn't tell you any of these things. 

• Like 4

I was out of routine for quite a while because mom had her surgery and I was caretaker full time. This week she was able to begin handling a little of the morning routine on her own. So I have been at the gym each day rowing three miles and working with some weights

I am down nine lbs. Not eating much though. Too much stress. But I made mild chili this week, one of my favorites, and veggie stew both in large amounts and have the leftovers to eat on now so maybe I will get a little food in. Mom has diabetes, IBS, and some other food issues so cooking for her and meeting my familyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s dietary needs plus my own wheat allergy is tiring.

All that to say though that I am glad to be back in the gym, and happy to have lost a little.

• Like 6

Today was a beautiful day. Did a 60 minute walk with the dog. I really wanted to hike but asked dh and a friend, neither of whom could go with me, and I don't feel safe hiking alone. I did the next best thing and went to our town's greenway. The trail is paved (I prefer natural) but at least part of it runs by a river. It goes through a park and no one was on the soccer field so I did three 30 sec sprints, thinking of this study: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075   Here's a summary: https://www.livescience.com/54578-sprint-interval-fitness.html  

I got to the gym and did 3 sets of 10 in two upper and two lower body strength exercises. I got in my lower body stretching before the gym closed and made myself do the upper body stretching when I got home. 

I've exceeded my minimum goal for cardio this week and have hit the minimum goal for strength. And I'm 4 for 4 for flexibility. Two more nice days are predicted. Tomorrow, I hope to do my walk/run at a local farm turned into a park and Sat, hope to hike in the local state park and do some strength training---maybe just at home and not the gym. I've now been away from the home program long enough that it's starting to seem interesting again.  :001_rolleyes:

I've been doing well with my sleep--getting to bed much earlier. I've also (knock on wood) found a few things that help me fall asleep if I'm having trouble or get back to sleep if I wake up. One thing is to do a scan of body toe to head. I often find some part is uncomfortable. Fixing that can help. WHen I need to shut my mind down, I find I have to actually engage it in something that won't prompt emotional connections (whether worrying or excitement, neither helps me sleep!) , so I've been counting backwards from 100 in various ways: just backwards, but in foreign languages as well as English, or backwards by 7s, 8s, 3s, etc. I can't do that and think about things that would incite emotional engagement, so that has been really helping. I thought I'd share in case anyone else struggles. 

• Like 5

Decent tennis practice yesterday. The women played challenge matches so I sat around quite a bit. I did get about 30 mins hard exercise then went to the Y for 30 min on the rowing machine. It was set on 5 so I went with that. After rowing, I enjoyed the massage chair for 20 mins.

Yesterday was Girl Scout cookie delivery day. I had ordered one box of GF cookies. I ate three.

I know I need to give up the sugar. I think that is where I will focus on March. My challenges for March are going to be the 5K under 30 and reduce sugar as much as  I can. I can't completely eliminate sugar as I will be eating fruit and, of course, my chai but I will avoid sugar as much as possible and see what happens. The athletes have finals and spring break and I plan on using that time to increase my activity and focus on my fitness challenges.

I am so happy that my mood is stable. DS told me last night that he is happy I 'made' him do the Lazyman Ironman. He says it has helped with his mood and outlook and that he feels like he's finally making some progress and is in the best shape of his adult life. <3  He now weighs less than me but has added muscle mass. I am beyond thrilled for him.

• Like 5

Your owning it this week Laurie! I used to use a body scan meditation to help with going back to sleep. 

Yes, that's what it's officially called.(I couldn't remember!) Mine is more scan than meditation.  :tongue_smilie:  I have never been able to master the skill of meditation for more than like 30 seconds. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

Decent tennis practice yesterday. The women played challenge matches so I sat around quite a bit. I did get about 30 mins hard exercise then went to the Y for 30 min on the rowing machine. It was set on 5 so I went with that. After rowing, I enjoyed the massage chair for 20 mins.

Yesterday was Girl Scout cookie delivery day. I had ordered one box of GF cookies. I ate three. This would be the ultimate challenge for me. To have a whole box and just eat 3! (I have to ask the kids to keep the box out of sight and when it's down to 3, let me have it. ) So good for you for the internal control! 

I know I need to give up the sugar. I think that is where I will focus on March. My challenges for March are going to be the 5K under 30 Does that mean under 30 minutes?  and reduce sugar as much as  I can. I can't completely eliminate sugar as I will be eating fruit and, of course, my chai but I will avoid sugar as much as possible and see what happens. The athletes have finals and spring break and I plan on using that time to increase my activity and focus on my fitness challenges.

I am so happy that my mood is stable. DS told me last night that he is happy I 'made' him do the Lazyman Ironman. He says it has helped with his mood and outlook and that he feels like he's finally making some progress and is in the best shape of his adult life. <3  He now weighs less than me but has added muscle mass. I am beyond thrilled for him.

It's great when our kids are doing great, isn't it? I find the adult child stage of parenting to be the hardest. I love them just as much as when they were little ones but then I could make sure all their "choices" were good for them. It's kind of hard to just watch and sometimes suggest things (and hope they don't dig in because you made a suggestion!)  Glad that your son took you up on the Lazy Ironman and feels so much better now! 

• Like 5

My ds who likes to hike arrived home for the weekend (from college) and he went with me and the dog to the state park. We walked for 60 min and I got in 21 min of jogging intervals. It's so interesting to try to jog on a trail compared to on the street. It's definitely engaging to the mind what with the rocks and roots to navigate,  Ds is so long-legged that he'd be walking while I jogged and not be that far behind, so it worked out well. 

We were having company tonight and I got home in time to run around doing last minute cleaning (or stuffing things out of sight to be honest!) and food prep so no flexibility work today. 

Tomorrow I'm planning strength training at home (unless dh wants to go to the gym) and hopefully another hike, but it will be all walking. 

• Like 6

I haven't checked in for a few days. It was all as planned, except yesterday I wanted to do the second full body workout of the week, but felt very tired after the private lesson. Today I did some target practice while DD was taking her private lesson, then fenced for an hour and a half in the evening. It was really nice, but now I am totally wiped out, and I have a competition tomorrow. I hope I can recover by morning

• Like 5

Yesterday was busy. I finally had "lunch" at 3, tortilla chips and black bean and salsa dip. I could have probably eaten the bag at that point but I just measured out a serving and realized that by the time I finished I was full enough. I did get a little walk in outside, not much but at least I got outside.

I'm going to do strength training at home today (it is nasty out and dh is home so I want to so I want to spend as much time possible here)- today is the bench, squat, and chin-up. I'll sub push-ups for bench, I can do chin-up work at home on my bar, and I'll do goblet squats with my kettlebell- which is light but I'm ok with that.

Food journaling has been very beneficial. I'm aiming for 6 wks to retrain my habits, Monday will be 2 wks.

I've realized that I do best with 3 meals a day, I don't usually need any snacks.

I sometimes want to eat out of boredom. That was an interesting revelation b/c I'm not a huge snacker. I've never been one to nosh on a bag of chips while watching tv BUT at certain times I find I want a snack but when I think about it I'm not actually hungry.

Sometimes I want to eat more of a food because it just tastes good, I'm eating slower instead. I'm too good of a cook :) 

I need more protein and less carbs for breakfast. GF muesli or a smoothie do not leave me as satisfied and energetic.

It is absolutely vital to have enough time to cook OR to buy some prepared healthy foods. The more fresh food I eat the better I feel. 

I don't need as much protein as I thought I did BUT I don't feel good strictly vegetarian. 

probably not going to the gym today...I'm sick...

Rest up, get well soon.

That is awesome, for you and him, on all accounts.

Yes, that's what it's officially called.(I couldn't remember!) Mine is more scan than meditation.  :tongue_smilie:  I have never been able to master the skill of meditation for more than like 30 seconds. 

Well, the scan itself is a type of guided meditation, so you've already mastered it :) 

I went for a little skate ski this morning before the freezing rain came. It was fun and fast as the snow was pretty icy. 

That sounds fun and a bit dangerous.

I haven't checked in for a few days. It was all as planned, except yesterday I wanted to do the second full body workout of the week, but felt very tired after the private lesson. Today I did some target practice while DD was taking her private lesson, then fenced for an hour and a half in the evening. It was really nice, but now I am totally wiped out, and I have a competition tomorrow. I hope I can recover by morning

• Like 5

As I expected, I didn't fully recover, but I was fine in the morning, and for about an hour after the competition ended. Then I crashed. I am barely crawling around the house. Tomorrow is definitely a rest day. Other than that, the competition went fine. It was kind of a milestone for me, as it was my first serious competition last year. It's hard to believe that almost a whole year flew by. I did only a little better than last time judging by the results, but I had a couple personal firsts, so I was very happy with the outcome.

• Like 4

This month has been a bust. I twisted my 'good foot' (the other is always braced and has so many problems - 3 operations...) and then a week later the flu. Today (9 days later) I finally felt better. But my dog is sick and got me up at 3:45 am, and then I spent the morning at the vet. Then my mom called, she needed to go to the ER for a medicine interaction issue (she is fine BTW, praise God!) so I am beyond exhausted and desperate to get some exercise in.  Thanks for letting me whine.  I am sure next week will be better

• Like 4

I did an interval workout on the bike at the gym on Thursday. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve read how great itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to be for runners given how low impact it is - helping to develop high turnover on your stride and increasing cardiovascular fitness while also being low impact. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll give it the low impact part, but I remain dubious at itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s utility. By the end of the rintervals my quads are pretty tired, but that recoves pretty quickly post ride. So, is it doing anything? ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s really hard to say.

Friday we ended up not running because there was just too much else going on. If I hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t waited for dh I could have gone, but I wanted to go with him and then there was just so much to do. So, unintended rest day.

Yesterday, ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill. It seems to go by faster now than before and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m practicing my dealing with boredom mental muscles. Which is good because sometimes running long distances gets boring and I get tempted to walk just because my brain has decided IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so tired. Got some strength training in. With the videos online and dh it has become way less intimidating. Starting small helps too.

Down 110lbs as of this morning. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m within 10lbs of a healthy weight BMI, but I obviously still have excess body fat to lose. It is a real shame the whole Ă¢â‚¬Å“targetedĂ¢â‚¬ fat loss thing is a scam. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a thing I could get behind.

• Like 4

That sounds fun and a bit dangerous.

All skiing has an element of danger to it, and the snow conditions are always changing and different. It's the nature of the activity. You choose to do it, or you don't.  And I'm definitely doing it for the fun!

I've been skiing since I was a very young child up to today, with no stops. I find it easier to navigate icy conditions with skis on my feet than without. ;)  My only wipe-out this year has been walking across an icy parking lot.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 7

Did my at-home workout on Friday, but about 3/4 of the way through I had a call from the optometrist - I'd completely forgotten to go to my appointment, so I had to rush out, pick up ds, and take us both in for eye exams. I didn't end up getting back in to finish my workout.

Saturday I ran 12 km with my running group.

Today is rest day.

• Like 8

Today is a planned rest day.

Yesterday... ended up being an additional rest day. Ds and his fiance came over again . That is a very good thing. But it's time that I take notice that I need a new plan for exercise on Saturdays!  It's the only time I see them during the week and they'll be moving in June. I need to get it through my head that even if I just invite them for a walk, they won't be interested. 

My typical Saturdays start off slowly with reading the news and lollygagging around. Then I do some cleaning. I am always planning on exercise in the afternoons b/c that is when I like to exercise, but that is when they come! Duh. (I'm slow.)  So I need to reverse things. 

I am going to have to skip the lollygagging and plan some late morning exercise for Saturdays and do cleaning or lollygagging while they are here. I can talk and clean at the same time or it's even nice to just be in the same space as they are. 

Fortunately, my minimum exercise goals were met by Thursday. 

• Like 5

To those who are injured or sick - I hope you get better quickly. 

Saturday went as I expected. Coached all day with no exercise except for running up and down a short flight of stairs to get tennis balls and check on players. Eating was great (actually I ate very little all day) until late. DS took me to a movie after tennis and I did get some popcorn. I snuck in a Bai so I didn't waste calories on a beverage and I only ate about 1/3 of the popcorn. 

Today - the women's tennis match was cancelled by the opposing coach so we had practice. After practice, I hit against the ball machine for about an hour. So far I've had Cheerios, for breakfast and lunch. There is no imperative to cook since it's just me today. I have been craving homemade GF chicken noodle soup so I think I'll get a pot of that going for tonight's dinner and lunch tomorrow.

I was feeling a bit down last night after the movie and I was falling into the rumination trap so I put on ST:TNG and just let my mind wander. There are some things I need to address this week and I feel a little anxious about them. I'm not as anxious as I would have been a year, or even six months, ago, though. I have to own up to some mistakes and ask others to change their behavior but I can do it. 

Looking forward to this week - I think the planned changes in practice schedules will reduce a bit of stress for me and the players. My 5K and reduced sugar challenges begin this week.

Soror - I feel better when I eat more fresh foods as well. The GF Girl Scout cookies were good (not great and I won't order any more) but I didn't really enjoy them and I felt kind of greasy afterward. I felt much better when I munched on grapes and melon.

• Like 5

Planning for the next couple weeks: 

Mon: push-ups at home, weight machines at gym, swimming after weight lifting

Tuesday the only sunny day so that is walk/jog day. 

Wed Zumba

Thur: If either Thur or Fri is nice weather, I'll do another walk/run and I'll do the gym routine on the day that is not nice. (Oh please, one day be nice!) 

Fri: 

Sat-travel day and I'll be gone for a week to help my dad move. So I will have to take some equipment for strength training (a resistance band, some dumbbells) and hope to be able to do some walking/running most days. The weather still thinks it's winter where he lives, so I'll be taking clothing for the cold and boots in case it snows. And my turtle fur to cover my face, Wintermom! 40s. Brr. 

• Like 6

I had planned to running a specific distance yesterday, but we ended up not having enough time so ran for an hour on the treadmill. Going to the gym with dh this morning.

ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a podcast that I listened to this summer. She talked a lot about diet, habits, and weight loss which was interesting. She was fairly reasoned in the whole thing, but she relied heavily on Brian WansinkĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s research, books, and the press surrounding his stuff which has tended to go viral. His name stuck in my head because she really struggled with pronouncing it, so when it popped up that he had several studies retracted I was intrigued. Turns out itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s worse than just a few retracted studies.

BuzzFeed News has a solid science reporter in case anyone else wants to read more about WansnikĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s statsistics hijinks - https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/brian-wansink-cornell-p-hacking

• Like 4

Oh, a whim I decided to weigh. I know I just said I wasn't going to.

It has been about 1 month since I weighed.

I've lost 3 pounds.

I weigh about what I expected given my measurements and how my clothes are fitting. 

I'm basically calorie counting/food journalling

I'm hoping I can make it another month before weighing again and maybe I can meet my goal by then (1/2-1 in off my waist and hips)

Tonight is lifting while the kids do TKD.

I had planned to running a specific distance yesterday, but we ended up not having enough time so ran for an hour on the treadmill. Going to the gym with dh this morning.

ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a podcast that I listened to this summer. She talked a lot about diet, habits, and weight loss which was interesting. She was fairly reasoned in the whole thing, but she relied heavily on Brian WansinkĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s research, books, and the press surrounding his stuff which has tended to go viral. His name stuck in my head because she really struggled with pronouncing it, so when it popped up that he had several studies retracted I was intrigued. Turns out itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s worse than just a few retracted studies.

BuzzFeed News has a solid science reporter in case anyone else wants to read more about WansnikĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s statsistics hijinks - https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/brian-wansink-cornell-p-hacking

.Boy, that was interesting. Just a reminder to be cautious when listening to health news.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Oh, a whim I decided to weigh. I know I just said I wasn't going to.

It has been about 1 month since I weighed.

I've lost 3 pounds.

I weigh about what I expected given my measurements and how my clothes are fitting. 

I'm basically calorie counting/food journalling

I'm hoping I can make it another month before weighing again and maybe I can meet my goal by then (1/2-1 in off my waist and hips)

Tonight is lifting while the kids do TKD.

.Boy, that was interesting. Just a reminder to be cautious when listening to health news.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I thought I was happy with my weight before DH decided to lose weight, but I lost about 5 pounds, more since September, when I was at my heaviest ever except late pregnancies. This last competition for the first time ever my legs were not complaining doing all that bouncing. I did train lately, but I think it was mostly due to being lighter. Since I still have some fat to burn, I'll try to lose 5 lbs more and see how it is. I registered for the national level competition in April. Hopefully, I'll do better than I did in December.

I had a day of rest on Sunday. Yesterday, I wend for a private lesson, and thought I'd go for open fencing in the evening, but I felt sick suddenly. I had a slightly scratchy throat for a couple of day, but hoped it would go away. Nope. I barely have any symptoms except for that weird feeling in my head and fatigue. I feel better today, but it is still early. I'll decide what I will do tonight later.

• Like 3

I made a family dinner yesterday that was totally comfort-food like grandma used to make. Avert your eyes if you have a weak stomach as it's not for the faint-of-heart. Boiled and baked perogies, onions fried in butter and/or bacon fat, bacon, and full-fat sour cream. I just had left-overs for lunch. I'm in heaven. I also need to get out and move for several hours (probably after a nap). ;)

I went out for a walk in the sun and warmth this morning. The birds are very active and chirpy.  There is still some patches of ice and snow around, but it's starting to look very spring-like. It's lovely, but I would still like to ski a little more. 

• Like 6

It was in the 60s today and the sunshine lately dried up most of the puddles (really more like small lakes) so I turned the hill intervals on the schedule for tomorrow into a tempo run outside today. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to snow tomorrow night, bah. I thought spring was nice today.

• Like 3

Faithmanor - I'm happy your mom is doing well and that you are able to begin working out again.

Thank you so much.

I haven't another 2 lbs since I posted which was five days ago.

It seems too fast. But I feel good, really good, in better spirits than I have in a long time. Mom is very chipper, and she seems to be coming around from her own depression. We watched some of the Olympics together and that was nice because our relationship has been on the ropes.

I think maybe the biggest contributing factor is Dh and I had a heart to heart and I finally admitted how much I have internally floundered since largely giving up my music career. With ds graduating and going off to college so I will be retiring from homeschooling, I told him how badly I wanted to go back to performing/professional accompanying but feared that this many years of sporadic, un-dedicated practice, mostly not keeping anything in my repertoire fresh nor adding anything new to it means I am not audition ready and in turmoil over it. He started taking over some things here at home, and I am back to practicing two hours per day!

I have not felt so good in years and this says a lot because I am still anemic! My mother always said I was born with a piano and playing Beethoven. Sometimes I think she may not have exaggerated! It feels like I had been holding my breath for years and now get to exhale. I have to wonder if returning to my first love is producing enough serotonin to make it easier to lose weight. If nothing else, since I am playing rigorously the whole two hours, probably additional calories burned.

My jeans are loose, a little saggy. Dh asked if I wanted to buy new ones. Not yet. I first want to see if this continues because I don't want to buy a new wardrobe if I am going to go down more than one size. I will just wear them too big until it gets to be too much, and then break down and buy just enough to get by until I see where I plateau. Plus, just between us, I kind of want to savor that feeling of "My pants are too big for me!"

3500 meters on the rowing machine plus 15 minutes of weights today. I do not want to miss tomorrow, but I have to figure out the scheduling difficulty because I have to take the rocket team to an event in the afternoon and also need to get the practice in.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 5