Menu

Mark Twain books

Earthmerlin

I think A Connecticut Yankee is kid-friendly.

That's what I was going to suggest, also.  I think Royal Fireworks Press sells an annotated version of it, don't they?  We read his biography of Joan of Arc, but that's probably not for an 8 year-old.   :tongue_smilie:   

The Innocents Abroad is for adults - I don't even think I would read that one (it looked strange).

Roughing It - looks like it's more for adults.  That and it's like 500 pages.

I've seen The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine on Amazon- isn't that a kids book?  We haven't read it.  It's listed as a kids' book on Amazon.

He has a bunch of short stories.  It would take some research, but I wonder if some of those would be ok.

There's a Mark Twain For Kids: His Life and Times, 21 Activities - it's on Amazon.  More of a biography of him + projects.  

Edited to add:  On Amazon, I saw an abridged version of Huckleberry Finn for children.  It's only 64 pages long.  I think it's a Dover Children's Classic edition (you might have to check if you're interested in that one).  

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 1

Huck Finn is so different from Tom Sawyer in tone and purpose, and such a great one to chew on as an adult, that I'd wait. On the surface, it starts off as though it will be about boy adventures (like Tom Sawyer), but it is more serious and has some very dark events, and is not as likely to click with an elementary-aged student who is expecting laugh-out-loud antics.

Two other Twain works that are lighter like Tom Sawyer:

- The Prince and the Pauper

- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Other books about historical characters and humorous misadventures:

girl protagonists

- Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)

- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Kelly)

- Understood Betsy (Fisher)

- Caddie Woodlawn (Brink)

- Our Only May Amelia (Holm)

- Emily's Runaway Imagination (Cleary)

boy protagonists

- Homer Price (McCloskey)

- Henry Reed (Robertson)

- Henry Huggins (Cleary)

- Summer of the Monkeys (Rawls)

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- Rascal (North)

- Incident at Hawk's Hill (Eckert)

And for magic adventure humorous misadventures you just can't beat Edward Eager's series:

Half Magic

Magic by the Lake

Knight's Castle

The Time Garden

Seven Day Magic

Edited by Lori D.

During my 4th grade year, I read The Prince and the Pauper three times because it was so engaging. I also read all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series and anything I could find by Meindert DeJong and Marguerite de Angeli. In particular, I loved The Wheel on the School (DeJong), Far Out the Long Canal (DeJong), The Door in the Wall (de Angeli), and The Black Fox of Lorne (de Angeli). That was my favorite year!

• Like 2

I wouldn't do connecticut yankee that young. We started it last year and my then 11 & 9 year olds struggled. Heck, I struggled! It's great, but I had to explain as we went a lot and the language wasn't easy. If Mr. Weiss read it for me it might be easier lol.

Edited by LMD
  • Like 1

Yeah, even his Tom Sawyer book is written at a higher level than most kids are used to reading at.  We're working on the Progeny Press study guide that goes with the book and even I don't know what some of the vocab words mean.

And I forgot about the Prince and the Pauper!  That might be next for the 12 year-old.

If you are looking for Mark Twain books, there's a chance you'll come across more Tom Sawyer books. I don't recommend them. They have titles like Tom Sawyer, Detective and Tom Sawyer Abroad and were written very obviously to cash in on the popularity of his character when he was strapped for cash.

Prince and the Pauper is probably best for that age. Confederate Yankee is darker in tone than you might expect. Puddenhead Wilson is great for late middle school and up. It's very short but covers the same themes as Huck Finn, making it great for capable but reluctant readers.

You may try reading though his essays and short stories. He has a lot of great ones, but you'll have to decide what's appropriate for your family.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Huck Finn is so different from Tom Sawyer in tone and purpose, and such a great one to chew on as an adult, that I'd wait. On the surface, it starts off as though it will be about boy adventures (like Tom Sawyer), but it is more serious and has some very dark events, and is not as likely to click with an elementary-aged student who is expecting laugh-out-loud antics.

Two other Twain works that are lighter like Tom Sawyer:

- The Prince and the Pauper

- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Other books about historical characters and humorous misadventures:

girl protagonists

- Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)

- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Kelly)

- Understood Betsy (Fisher)

- Caddie Woodlawn (Brink)

- Our Only May Amelia (Holm)

- Emily's Runaway Imagination (Cleary)

boy protagonists

- Homer Price (McCloskey)

- Henry Reed (Robertson)

- Henry Huggins (Cleary)

- Summer of the Monkeys (Rawls)

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- Rascal (North)

- Incident at Hawk's Hill (Eckert)

And for magic adventure humorous misadventures you just can't beat Edward Eager's series:

Half Magic

Magic by the Lake

Knight's Castle

The Time Garden

Seven Day Magic

Nothing wrong with that  Huck Finn was geared towards adults.  Twain was shocked it was categorized as a children's novel.  Jules Verne's books had the same issue.  I think this is cultural in the U. S.  The protagonist of Huck Finn was a kid so it's a kids book or Jules Verne's books are sci-fi, adventure etc. that's the domain of children.  I have to tell people you might want to read a particular book before you have your kids read it.  Don't judge a book by its characters, genre or settings.

Edited by happybeachbum
  • Like 1