Menu

vegan cake recipe

JennyD

Yes, the cake should be fine.  Her allergies have actually gotten a lot less severe, and while of course I will run everything through the dishwasher first and be careful about cross-contamination, I'm pretty sure that they will be delighted if the cake itself is just not made with any of the prohibited ingredients.

Will look into Wacky cake.  I also found a recipe for a vegan chocolate cake from the Flour cookbook that looks terrific, but I would need to scale it up (it makes a 6-inch cake and I think that will be too small for the group).

Edited by JennyD

My personal favorite resource for vegan baking is Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I've had good luck scaling up the cupcake recipes for assorted sizes. However, if you don't happen to have a copy on hand, you could also take a look at: http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/desserts/ 

This recipe, in particular, looks pretty similar to some of the VCTOtW stuff: http://www.isachandra.com/2008/08/just-chocolate-cake/

• Like 2

nm; point taken and Tap filled in all the details anybody like me needs to know anyway just with her thread title so I'm just going to close my Wacky laptop while I brew another pot of Crazy coffee and let you experts help the OP now.

This is me shutting up. I'm shutting up now. No elipses this time, just period to USAmericans and full stop to everybody else.

Edited by Guest

Will they let the child eat it? Even cross contamination may be harmful to the allergic person.

That said, look at recipes for Wacky cake. It actually does come out nicely! :)

I popped in to suggest Crazy Cake, which I presume is the same thing as Wacky Cake. (Vinegar, oil, cocoa-- no eggs or milk?) Earth Balance and powdered sugar icing is good on it.

I am really in the mood for cake now.

• Like 2

Minimalist Baker has lots of yummy recipes. For cakes I usually follow any regular recipe & substitute oil with applesauce & eggs with flax eggs (I use a tablespoon of flax meal and 2.5 tablespoons water for one egg-- let it sit unti gelatinous). That works fine for me with any recipe. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

ETA - if the recipe called for milk for some reason you could use rice milk ... almond milk is yummy but I'd steer clear with the peanut allergy.

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

3 ripe bananas

6 tbsp unsalted butter (or coconut oil, or vegetable oil or whatever), melted and slightly cooled

1/4 c maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)

1/2 c applesauce

1 tsp vanilla

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, makes one 8" cake or two thin 8" cakes, but time in oven will be less if you do that.

I always add a ton of fresh or frozen blueberries/raspberries/blackberries instead of using sweetener and it turns out awesome! Oh! You could prob add chocolate chips instead of fruit if you eat sugar! :D

• Like 1

Thanks so much, all!  I wound up scaling up the recipe from the Flour Cookbook and although it overrose a bit (I think I probably should have not quite fully scaled up the baking soda) it came out great and was a big hit.  

Aileana, that recipe looks terrific and even though nobody in my house has allergies (knock wood) I am bookmarking it for the future.  

My go-to cake is Lazy Man's Cake, which I'm betting is pretty much the same as Wacky/Crazy cake. Flour, sugar, cocoa (or carob - I actually prefer it with carob), baking soda, vinegar, water.

I don't ice it. I do eat it with whipped cream sometimes, but that's not vegan. ;) It's good with powdered sugar on top.

Edited by Matryoshka