Menu

Kidney stone help

MistyMountain

I woke up this morning with a horrible back pain on my lower left side followed by nausea. I had kidney stones over 10 years ago and I was worried it was a stone. The pain got up to a 10 and I went to the ER and it is a kidney stone. They gave me tordal (sp?) which got it to manageable levels and gave me a prescription for an ibuprofen and something to help with the stone. I am skeptical that ibuprofen will be enough for the pain. I am looking up ways of it passing and lemon and olive oil is one of the recommended things. Hit me up with your advice on what helps it pass quickly as possible. I live nowhere near a roller coaster so that is not an option. I had one nearly 11 years ago and they removed it after the second pain attack. I had a newborn at the time.

Did they tell you what the measurement is on the stone? My experiences with stones larger than 5 mm is that they have all had to be removed because they get stuck in my ureter. I did some reading on the olive oil and lemon juice, both for gall bladder and for kidney stones, and I couldn't find anything that led me to believe it was a "cure" in either case, so I didn't bother. 

Honestly, the biggest factor is fluids. Lots and lots and lots and lots of fluids. 

And if they offer you lithotripsy and a stent, don't do it. Go right for the removal. My dad spent a year trying to break up a stone via multiple lithotripsies and had a stent the whole time. I had two removals and was in and out with no problems at all (a week with each stent). 

I'm sorry  :grouphug:  Chronic kidney stones run in my family, so I completely and totally sympathize. 

Aare you opossed to natural remedies? Hydrangea root works for my family in a few hrs to dissolve stones. Do your own research but its been a life saver for us many times.

Can you tell me how you know the stones were actually dissolved? I have at least three hanging around in my kidneys waiting to torture me right now, and my dad is passing small stones constantly. I'd love to find something to help us both!

• Like 1

Can you tell me how you know the stones were actually dissolved? I have at least three hanging around in my kidneys waiting to torture me right now, and my dad is passing small stones constantly. I'd love to find something to help us both!

My dad is also in the category of having 20-30 stones in his kidneys.  He gets attacks every 3-6 months necessitating ER visits.  It's a mess.  

Sorry you're going through this!  

They did not do a scan to see the size they just sent me home with a prescription. I asked about what if it is too big and they said they now have everyone try to pass it and if it is not passing or things change to go back. I am a little leery about that. I am not even sure what kind I had last time.

My work buddy (male since it might be relevant) just passed a 4mm one last week.  At the advice of his doctor (when it didn't seem to want to come out) was to take the pain pills, then drink lots of water until he saw yellow before peeing.   The idea seemed to be to build up some back pressure.  That was when it came out.  

The first person could actually feel them moving down then the pain vanished and they were fine after that.

The second person was due to have surgery when they went in for a follow up. The dr couldn't find any and cancelled the surgery.

I was having gall bladder attacks took the hydrangea and my gall bladder problems went away. I took it regularly for six months. I had been having stomach problems and pain for a while vefore I figured out what was causing my symptoms.

• Like 1

I've had 25+ kidney stones, all passed at home. Honestly, sometimes they just do whatever they feel like, either come right out or hang around for a month. However, things that seemed to help them pass more quickly:

* Beer dilates the ureters.

* Force fluids. Try to let your bladder fill a bit so you have more pressure when you pee. Sorry if TMI.

* Keep your pain under control so that your body is relaxed. Hot baths also help with this.

* The "jump and bump" method--you can google it; basically jump up in the air and come down hard.

* Throat Coat tea by Traditional Medicinals--I don't know what it is about this stuff, but I don't drink it often, and twice when I did I had kidney stones I didn't know I had pop out in a day or two. Contains slippery elm bark, licorice root, marshmallow root. 

I've looked into olive oil / lemon juice type methods and honestly wouldn't bother. You can prevent stones, but it's my understanding and experience that you can't dissolve them once formed. 

Good luck! I know it's a pain.

Edited by MercyA

I have had many kidney stones.  I believe the largest that I passed was 6mm.  You can have stones in your kidney and not feel pain until they start to travel and cause obstruction.  I have had lithotripsy several times and also scopes to remove the ones I could not pass.  Hydrocodone was usually prescribed for pain.  My suggestion would be to take meds BEFORE the pain gets too severe.  Actually, passing the stone wasn't painful at all for me.  It's when the kidney is backed up and you feel that vice grip - oh my!!!

Lemon is supposed to help prevent formation of stones.  I think it's really important to try to discover why they are forming in the first place.  After dealing with several stones, I went to a new doctor who discovered I had hyperparathyroidism which was causing them.  Also, I was drinking very little water.  Now I always keep a glass of water on the counter as a reminder to drink all day.

Edited by LadyR
  • Like 1

I just got home from a visit to the nephrologist, who I have been seeing since I had a kidney stone in 2012!    My stone caused an obstruction which gave me an infection; I had an emergency procedure involving a stent and 3 days in the hospital.  Later I had lithotripsy.   No stones since.

I take a diuretic and drink a lot of water with lemon juice.  Not lemonade, just a squeeze of lemon in the glass.   Still, my calcium is always a little higher than he would like, though he has ruled out hyperparathyroidism.  He said drinking a lot of water every day mitigates the problem of the calcium  I also take potassium.  This doctor cut down my Vitamin D intake - just an aside because it's so common for people to take a lot of vitamin D.   

Every year I do a 24-hour urine test, which means I collect all urine in a 24-hour period in a big jug, then send a sample to a lab. The jug measures my output.  It is always between 4 and 4.5 liters.   He says that is about right.  Also he reminded me today that kidney stones often form in the summer, when people it's hot. Keep hydrated!