Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - July 2017

I took a rest day today and stayed home reading and doing housework. Got caught up on some laundry and some simple chores. I did really well with drinking water and eating.

My arms are sore from the bleacher workout yesterday (push ups and tricep dips were part of the circuit). It's a good feeling; at least I know I pushed it and progressed.

Re: fasting - I have the tendency to want to snack later in the evening and usually have a late night hot beverage (hot chocolate or chai). As a result, if I wanted to get even 12 hours of fasting in, some days I wouldn't be eating breakfast until noon and then trying to cram in a days worth of food in 6 hours. I'm trying to discipline myself to not eating late. I've been waking up a bit nauseated since I began doing this though. My last meal was completed at 5:30 today so if I wait until 7am it will be over 13 hours. I'm curious to see how I'll feel with that long in between meals. I've already had 60 ounces of water so the remaining 20 ounces will have to fill my stomach.

• Like 4

Mowing done. We were out there 3 hrs, the first part on the riding mower but at least an hour push mowing(on our hilly yard). I had to take a break for a few minutes as I nearly overheated. We're still considering a bike ride this evening but we'll see how dh feels after his nap :) When I was sick there was no way I would have been able to push mow at all. I didn't have the endurance and could not have tolerated the heat, it would have knocked me out for a day just to try it. BUT I can do it now, I have to take a break but I made it longer than before this time and after sitting for a bit I was able to finish it up.

This is so so excellent!!!

A few years ago we had a very snowy winter and my husband was sick the entire winter so I had to snowblow our very long drive way.   I didn't realize how much weight I lost doing that.    But of course I gained it all back later that year when I was home alone for a week and my "diet" consisted of grilled cheese sandwiches with fries from a local diner and Panera dinners almost every night.

• Like 2

My arms are sore from the bleacher workout yesterday (push ups and tricep dips were part of the circuit). It's a good feeling; at least I know I pushed it and progressed.

Re: fasting - I have the tendency to want to snack later in the evening and usually have a late night hot beverage (hot chocolate or chai). As a result, if I wanted to get even 12 hours of fasting in, some days I wouldn't be eating breakfast until noon and then trying to cram in a days worth of food in 6 hours. I'm trying to discipline myself to not eating late. I've been waking up a bit nauseated since I began doing this though. My last meal was completed at 5:30 today so if I wait until 7am it will be over 13 hours. I'm curious to see how I'll feel with that long in between meals. I've already had 60 ounces of water so the remaining 20 ounces will have to fill my stomach.

Is the bleacher workout something you made up or is it a specific workout? 

Yeah, as a bc survivor, the 13 hour fast has made me cut back at night. I am a breakfast gal. Sometimes, I have to eat it a while after I get up to get the 13 hours in. Particularly during the summer, we have a tendency to eat around 8 pm. It has really eliminated late night snacking entirely though. 

• Like 3

I went to the gym to watch some Wimbledon tennis while I worked-out on the bike and treadmill. It was great! I got to watch some great tennis, and also keep the body moving. There were a few upsets in the matches this round. Nadal lost his match, as did a few high-seeded ladies. Our Canadian, Milos Raonic, won his match, which is great for him. Hope he continues to do well. 

• Like 4

I hit the gym at the hotel this morning and did some strength training. I've been able to stick with my one meal a day - although when combined with wine I guess it's more like a 20:4. I had the most amazing crispy cauliflower at a restaurant in New York. It was gluten free and dairy free and seriously tasted like Chinese chicken balls. I'm sure there was some sugar in the vegan mayo sauce, but man were they good!

• Like 5

I hit the gym at the hotel this morning and did some strength training. I've been able to stick with my one meal a day - although when combined with wine I guess it's more like a 20:4. I had the most amazing crispy cauliflower at a restaurant in New York. It was gluten free and dairy free and seriously tasted like Chinese chicken balls. I'm sure there was some sugar in the vegan mayo sauce, but man were they good!

Good for you for finding a way to incorporate a workout while you are traveling!  I think that adjusting to what is going on so as to be consistent is the way to staying on track. For myself, though it should have been glaringly obvious that I would need a Plan B when traveling, I often went without one and surprise surprise! I didn't get anything done. Cheering you on!

• Like 2

One meal a day? Just curious if there is a specific reason you do this. It's enough to fuel your workouts?

• Like 3

Is the bleacher workout something you made up or is it a specific workout? 

Yeah, as a bc survivor, the 13 hour fast has made me cut back at night. I am a breakfast gal. Sometimes, I have to eat it a while after I get up to get the 13 hours in. Particularly during the summer, we have a tendency to eat around 8 pm. It has really eliminated late night snacking entirely though. 

I found a website that had specific bleacher workouts. There are 6 different workouts. I printed them off, trimmed them, and slid them into a a large ID holder I had from a conference. I used them quite a bit last summer and enjoyed them. The problem is the workouts were created for larger sized bleachers. Our local high school only has a set of small bleachers (10 steps to the top) and everything has to be done multiple times in order to get the complete workout. Small town living.

--

Fasting - I've been waking up at 5:45 am each morning with a bit of nausea. I wonder if my blood sugars are dropping too much. I force myself to wait until after 6am to eat since that hits the twelve hour mark but, geesh, it's almost like morning sickness (which I know is impossible at this point).

• Like 3

I went to the gym to watch some Wimbledon tennis while I worked-out on the bike and treadmill. It was great! I got to watch some great tennis, and also keep the body moving. There were a few upsets in the matches this round. Nadal lost his match, as did a few high-seeded ladies. Our Canadian, Milos Raonic, won his match, which is great for him. Hope he continues to do well. 

I've been keeping up to date on the website and the radio. It's been an interesting year to say the least. Raonic is due to play Federer. that should be a good match. I hope Venus wins again. With the car crash and news hoopla, she deserves something nice to happen. Plus, I just like her game and her tenacity.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 2

I thought you were doing intermittent fasting and free reign on produce? Did you change your mind?

Please share what you're doing and why you're doing it. I am curious. How many calories are you eating in your one meal a day? What time of day are you eating your one meal? How long have you been eating one meal a day? Is it for weight loss? Is it working?

• Like 2

I tried out a yoga class at the gym this morning, and it was an actual yoga class and not an Aerobics class with a fancy name. ;) It was really good, and I sure needed the deep stretching after all the strength and conditioning exercising I've been doing lately. That is a class I'll definitely do again, but all the other ones fall under the "Aerobics" category, with slightly different names and focus. Those are not my thing. I'll just hang out in the weight room when I want to do some indoor fitness.

I'll be heading over to watch more Wimbledon on tv while moving on a machine, then later this afternoon I'm bringing the dc to a new pool with a lazy river. It should be fun.

• Like 3

re: fasting: I usually have at least 12 hrs, a lot of times we eat supper later(7 or 7:30) but it is pretty rare for me to eat breakfast before 9 am. Generally, that only happens if I have to be somewhere and even then I might just grab an apple and eat an early bigger lunch.

Often I feel a bit hungry when I wake-up but if I just wait a bit that subsides. I wake up between 5-6 and just don't like to eat that early.

A bit of walking Monday and Tuesday. I did 4 short sprints Tuesday as well, woot :) I can still beat dd1 but ds can beat me now :)

Ds has been working on his personal fitness badge, yesterday was the end of week 8 so he did his test, he is at 20 chin-ups and has really increased his run speed and push-ups too. He's a small guy but strong.

Our schedule has been tighter this week as we've started back to our full schedule of school but we're getting in the groove. 

I should have did bodyweight stuff yesterday, at least lower body stuff(although I did do sprints which are good for legs :) ) . My shoulder is bothering me so I decided it best to skip upper body stuff. I guess I hit it too hard Fri & Sat. Anyway, my goal is to at least do some squats and lunges today.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

This has been a difficult week. We've had severe thunderstorms Monday and Tuesday followed by high temps and high humidity. Tennis was cancelled on Monday but I stayed busy doing errands and desk work. I did well with my eating (lots of vegetables and protein) but did cave in for one snack (a small bag of potato chips) while we were running errands. Yesterday, I did almost 6 miles on the treadmill while watching Wimbledon. I had to get in Venus' match and then stayed to watch Kanto. I had a competitive match last night two and a half hours away. We had the longest match of the night 2.5 hours so I got in a lot of exercise to help counterbalance the 5 hours in the car. I ate well yesterday and made sure I stayed hydrated.

I'm doing well with my fitness goals. I've only had one chai and that was on Monday(payday) and it was my treat for sitting there paying bills and handling family business. Avoiding sweets is easier than I thought it would be this time around. 

Today - I have tennis later tonight if the weather holds. I might try to get back to the Y to walk on the treadmill and watch more Wimbledon. I have vegetables from the farmer's market ready to go for meals.

Keep it up, ladies. It's one day at a time.

• Like 3

I got in an hour work-out at the gym, and watched some Wimbledon but the matches they're showing aren't really the ones I've been wanting to see. I missed out on Venus' match yesterday and Murray's match this morning. I'm following Roanic and Federer's match on-line.  

I'm really hoping I get to play my own tennis later today! Rain, rain, go away!!

• Like 2

I was able to play tennis this evening in the miserable humidity. It wasn't fun, not even a little bit. I struggled with simple movements and did not play at my usual level.

I wobbled with my eating this evening. I had a small coffee with vanilla creamer, a glass of lemonade, and 6 skittles. I'm craving carbs, my thinking is a bit wonky, and I gave in. I think playing tennis in the heat and humidity and sweating so much the last couple of days has thrown off my electrolytes and my body is trying to adjust. Not only did I have the sweets but I also ate something later than I have been. I hadn't eaten dinner before tennis and I had to have a little something when I came home so I had a slice of turkey and a tiny slice (a teeny weeny slice) of Kerrygold Dubliner cheese wrapped in a small white corn tortilla.

Scratch my previous supposition about why I'm wonky. I just remembered I was glutened early this afternoon. Drats. That's why my body and mind are off kilter.  :banghead:  I can't believe I forgot about that. I've got all of the side effects but...oh well...tomorrow is another (hopefully) GF day. 

• Like 3

Humidity is horrible here too.

Scoutmom- sorry you got ahold of gluten :( 

wintermom- you are really making use of the gym!

We took a couple of little walks yesterday and did some sprints. The sprints yesterday left my legs a little sore :) I did some squats too. I should have done more but at least I did them. I've been fairly active around the house doing this and that.

My test results came back my iron, d3 and b12 levels look good. Not sure where they were at before I started supplementing them again but looks like I just need to maintain now. My thyroid hormones are off, so I've adjusted my dosage. I'm not sure on my sex hormones my period came early which is when everything is naturally low. They did not put thyroid anti-body test on there, I really wanted to see those numbers as the last time I was having joint pain it was really high. I'm just not sure if it is thyroid related or something else, I guess I'll have to wait and see on that.

I hardly slept at all last night due to nerves for the classes I'm teaching today :( First I have to drive 90 min away to a place I've never been and my classes are huge. Anyway, I know it will be ok once I get there but I'm so ready to get this over with. I need to be finishing my plans for the yoga camp I'm teaching, it is 2 wks from Monday!!!! I've done some initial planning and have an outline but need to determine my details and write out some more class plans I haven't been able to get myself to focus on it with these classes coming up. 

Anyway, today hope to do a small walk this am then I'm teaching 2.5 hrs. I'll get home late and hopefully, hopefully, crash and go to bed early!!!

• Like 2

Yesterday was Zumba. It was  not as vigorous a workout as normal because there was a substitute, so some energy gets drained off because of not being familiar with the transitions. I was pleased to notice that I had progressed though and picked up sequences more quickly, so I got a solidly moderate workout (regular class would be vigorous) instead of light-to-moderate back in the beginning when I didn't know as many moves already. 

Today, goal is to stay out of the stinking heat and do full body strength training. I should do some cardio, too. Just don't know what. It's not going to be outside though. 

• Like 2

I went to swim laps at the pool this afternoon and ds 13 joined me. It is much more fun swimming with someone. My arms are feeling a lot stronger and pain-free, too, after all the gym work-outs.  :hurray:

I'm going to play some tennis this evening. Either round-robin doubles, which is more social, or singles with dh. I'm going to push for the singles, but we'll see how dh is feeling. ;)

• Like 3

Whole body: plank, incline rows, push-ups, dumbbell squats, clamshells and some small rotator cuff stuff and 45 min of cardio with jogging intervals. (I actually did go outside: a nice evening thunderstorm cooled everything down plus I got new running shoes today.  :) ) 

• Like 3

I am going to go back to read everyone's updates, but just wanted to say that I am still here, although haven't done much this week.  I've been feeling kind of crappy since Mon night, so haven't done many walks or gone to bed early.

But tomorrow is another day, another start!

• Like 4

Yesterday: am walk and taught classes. It was sooooo HOT and so crazy. It was so loud I had to practically scream, which is not conducive to yoga class.

Working out with friends at the park this am, really don't feel like it. Yesterday was a super duper long day with not enough sleep and I didn't sleep the best last night either. I forecast a nap for my afternoon.

• Like 3

I have 21DF extreme. I really should do those when I don't want to go out.

--

Yesterday was up and down. I ate well for most of the day and was quite pleased with myself. Until I returned from tennis. Then I ate Skilltes and potato chips. Too many. I also ate late again (8:30 pm). Again, my body was craving sugar and salt. Ugh. I'm still suffering from being glutened and I know that's part of it. Everything is of kilter - mind, body, and soul.

I took DGD to the lake for her first on water lesson with her kayak. We had practiced emergency entry and paddle retrieval (the paddle is leashed to her kayak) on our lawn. She did really well on the water. We were out for two hours (her in the kayak and me wading in the lake); it wasn't a lot of exercise for me but I was in the sun and not sitting on my rearend.

I also played another tri-level tennis match in the cities yesterday evening so I did get in 90 mins of good exercise.

Last month I decided to pursue USTA Official certification to become an umpire. I have completed all of the training and am waiting for my on court shadowing and to get my uniform. After I am USTA approved, I'm going to work toward college (ITA) certification.

I'm registering for a USTA sanctioned tournament for next weekend. I'll be playing singles. It's a single elimination  :( but it's the only one close by.

--

Today's plan: tennis (doubles) this morning; kayaking in the afternoon; then I'm going camping. I need to get away and hike, read, and just be with nature.

• Like 2

Question - has anyone successful got rid of their pregnant-looking stomach.  My youngest is 5 and I look like I am 6-7 mo pregnant.

I am trying to do Pilates, but it's going very slow bc I have very very weak stomach muscles so it's very hard to do any of the exercises well

I won't do yoga, but other than that- willing to try things.

Tennis was fun last night, and hopefully the rain will hold off and dh and I can play mixed doubles with friends tonight.  

I went to another yoga class this morning. The 3rd this week, and it was the best one so far. I'll probably go to this same instructor again tomorrow morning. It was a good stretch and a good strength work-out. I prefer this kind to the slow, more relaxation style. 

• Like 2

Question - has anyone successful got rid of their pregnant-looking stomach.  My youngest is 5 and I look like I am 6-7 mo pregnant.

I am trying to do Pilates, but it's going very slow bc I have very very weak stomach muscles so it's very hard to do any of the exercises well

I won't do yoga, but other than that- willing to try things.

Yes. For me, it took a combination of exercise (lots of core body work) and overall weight loss. I tend to hold extra weight around my belly and thighs. I need to include medium and high intensity work-outs in order to get weight off. 

• Like 1

I have 21DF extreme. I really should do those when I don't want to go out.

--

Yesterday was up and down. I ate well for most of the day and was quite pleased with myself. Until I returned from tennis. Then I ate Skilltes and potato chips. Too many. I also ate late again (8:30 pm). Again, my body was craving sugar and salt. Ugh. I'm still suffering from being glutened and I know that's part of it. Everything is of kilter - mind, body, and soul.

I took DGD to the lake for her first on water lesson with her kayak. We had practiced emergency entry and paddle retrieval (the paddle is leashed to her kayak) on our lawn. She did really well on the water. We were out for two hours (her in the kayak and me wading in the lake); it wasn't a lot of exercise for me but I was in the sun and not sitting on my rearend.

I also played another tri-level tennis match in the cities yesterday evening so I did get in 90 mins of good exercise.

Last month I decided to pursue USTA Official certification to become an umpire. I have completed all of the training and am waiting for my on court shadowing and to get my uniform. After I am USTA approved, I'm going to work toward college (ITA) certification.

I'm registering for a USTA sanctioned tournament for next weekend. I'll be playing singles. It's a single elimination   :( but it's the only one close by.

--

Today's plan: tennis (doubles) this morning; kayaking in the afternoon; then I'm going camping. I need to get away and hike, read, and just be with nature.

Can anyone REALLY say "no" to Skittles???  It's hard!!   And it sounds like you are very active, so I think you are doing great.

• Like 1

One meal a day? Just curious if there is a specific reason you do this. It's enough to fuel your workouts?

I'm working on healing insulin resistance and just basically giving my body a break. And yes, it is enough to fuel my workouts. I am used to working out in a fasted state. I've been doing 16:8 fasts for about a year and always worked out in the morning and then didn't eat until lunch or early afternoon. I also have no issues with working out during longer 3 or 4 day fasts - I keep to my regular workout schedule during those fasts. 

• Like 1

I thought you were doing intermittent fasting and free reign on produce? Did you change your mind?

Please share what you're doing and why you're doing it. I am curious. How many calories are you eating in your one meal a day? What time of day are you eating your one meal? How long have you been eating one meal a day? Is it for weight loss? Is it working?

I was finding that I wasn't hungry mid-day and going until dinner wasn't a big deal for me. I'm doing it for lots of reasons - I read Dr. Fung's book on fasting a few months ago and it really stuck with me. So, part of it is weight loss, but also healing insulin resistance, autophagy, and just generally giving my body a break. 

I am still allowing myself free reign on fruit and vegetables while I'm away. Other than the fruit, I am sticking to a ketogenic diet - well, mostly anyway. We went to an amazing Indian restaurant in NYC and I skipped the rice, but I did have some garlic naan bread. Worth every bite. 

I have no idea how many calories I'm eating in my one meal, but it's enough that I'm satisfied, not stuffed. I have lots of energy. 

• Like 2

I was finding that I wasn't hungry mid-day and going until dinner wasn't a big deal for me. I'm doing it for lots of reasons - I read Dr. Fung's book on fasting a few months ago and it really stuck with me. So, part of it is weight loss, but also healing insulin resistance, autophagy, and just generally giving my body a break. 

I am still allowing myself free reign on fruit and vegetables while I'm away. Other than the fruit, I am sticking to a ketogenic diet - well, mostly anyway. We went to an amazing Indian restaurant in NYC and I skipped the rice, but I did have some garlic naan bread. Worth every bite. 

I have no idea how many calories I'm eating in my one meal, but it's enough that I'm satisfied, not stuffed. I have lots of energy. 

Would you mind elaborating?  What I've read so far that it's basically low carbs diet, but I can't find many specifics.

• Like 1

Worked out at park with friends. We were there about 90 min but there was some chatting here and there (although I tried to make sure to keep us focused). 

We did some walking and sprints; Functional Moves- animal locomotion; bodyweight work; obstacle course + balance work; ended with light stretching/yoga

• Like 3

I went to swim a few laps this morning. I managed to mangle my heels by doing a flip turn and crashing them down on a very low diving board I couldn't see while swimming. Hopefully they would be too problematic during tennis this evening. Dh and I are signed up for a doubles tennis clinic, and then we're playing mixed doubles with friends. 

• Like 2

I went to Bodypump at 7:30 this morning. It was doable, but I'm not a morning person.

Do you workout in the early AM? How do you manage that? Were you always a morning person? I would love to get up early in the AM and get my workout done. Will I ever get to this point?

I am not, never was and probably never will be a morning person.  I started walking in the mornings, but not at 7.30!!

I basically need at least an hour from the time I wake up to the time I go for half an hour walk.  That's the best I can do, I am OK with that

• Like 3

I went to a yoga class this morning. It was mostly stretching for very long periods of time. I enjoyed it, but was hoping for more of a strength session as it was the same instructor as last week. Then I brought the boys to the pool for a swim and work-out in the gym. I feel a nap coming on now... ;)

• Like 2

I went to Bodypump at 7:30 this morning. It was doable, but I'm not a morning person.

Do you workout in the early AM? How do you manage that? Were you always a morning person? I would love to get up early in the AM and get my workout done. Will I ever get to this point?

No I do not workout in the early morning. It totally does not suit my body clock. Even when I was a young thing and a college athlete, if I tried to work out early, I ended up nauseated and if we had the occasional early game, I was not even close to my best. 

My best time is late afternoon/evening. I stick to that.  

• Like 3

I hit 10# weight loss! Wahoo!

DH and I have been going out from 6:30-7:00 in the morning for brisk walks. I think we've been doing it for nearly two weeks now.