Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - July 2017

That's what I was wondering. I had to try and keep up with all the moves, but if they repeated the same routines over and over again it would potentially get boring? And some of the hip moves were just not for me. There's a reason I live in the far north - my hips do not move!  :lol:

Haha.  Yeah, there is a lot of hip action. Great for the core!

For those wondering what Zumba is like and whether it would be boring for you: 

The routines are switched up fairly often. With my instructor, there is a mixture of songs that we know and new ones. However, there are certain moves that you can get the hang of and they get incorporated in different ways. An analogy : Islamic art uses c combination of geometric and botanical patterns. In any given piece, there will be patterns that you will recognize from other pieces. However, each piece is put together in a unique way, using different colors, arrangement of the patterns, etc. 

The same is true for dances for Zumba. Patterns such as a side salsa, hamstring curls, grapevine, etc. are things that after a while, you can see and pick up instantly, even if it's a new song with a new arrangement. The longer you do it, the more patterns are in your mind and muscle memory. I am not someone who picks up moves super fast. Sometimes I have to do just the leg movement and add the arms later, for instance. But I have enough patterns now that I can get a decent workout even with a substitute instructor (much better with my own, though.) 

• Like 3

My singles tennis match yesterday was against a 17 year old boy. It was so much fun, and the rallies were excellent. I ended up losing, but I was really happy to simply stay in the game as long as I did. 

I'm playing mixed doubles tennis this evening with dh and friends as long as the rain holds off. Otherwise, I'll try out another fitness class this morning. It's "Cardio and Strength" so I'm not quite sure what that will be like. Probably no crazy hips moves.  :laugh:

• Like 3

My goals for the month are to:

1- get in 80 ounces of water a day - Doing well; I am getting in at least 60 ounces of water plus a gatorade each day

2- continue playing tennis as often as I can - I've played 5 out of 7 days.

3- go swimming at least once a week - zero so far

4- reduce the amount of chai I drink - I have not had chai since June 30. Just sayin'.

5- reduce the amount of sweets I eat - one glass of lemonade and a mini Blizzard during the fireworks display; I am drinking a bit too much lemonade but I have not had any sweets (candy, etc) 

6- get in two bleacher workouts a week - none so far

I've been riding my bike for errands and to local tennis matches. I've been walking the dog in the afternoon at the local nature preserve. I don't think I've been overeating but I haven't been tracking. I've had lots of vegetables, fruits, and proteins. I've cut way back on carbs. I feel pretty darned good and have noticed that my footwork during tennis is improving. I am more on my toes and less flat footed.

I cannot force myself to put on the swimsuit. I'm really disappointed in myself but I honestly cannot stand looking at my body and the thought of being in a swimsuit makes me cry and want to drink chai. 

• Like 4

6 miles yesterday and today. The humidity is really kicking my butt. I miss winter running. Of course, someone is going to have to remind me of this when it's windy and cold. Today was slightly better than yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be even cooler so I delayed my long run until then.

Met my step goal yesterday. I have about 1200 steps to goal today.

• Like 1

I'll join in for July.

Here is where I am - I need to loose about 40lbs, tone up all the flab and figure out what is going on with my body.  I am hoping that once I get into a healthy life style, my general body pain will go away.  I don't want to go to the dr or do x-rays or MRIs!!

My goals for July:

1.  Two half-an-hour walks a day or elliptical, if it's raining

2.   11pm bedtime 5 days a week

3.  No eating after 7pm!!!!

That's it.  That's all I am starting with right now!

• Like 4

I'll join in for July.

Here is where I am - I need to loose about 40lbs, tone up all the flab and figure out what is going on with my body.  I am hoping that once I get into a healthy life style, my general body pain will go away.  I don't want to go to the dr or do x-rays or MRIs!!

My goals for July:

Sounds like a really sound plan to start off with!

• Like 3

1- get in 80 ounces of water a day - Doing well; I am getting in at least 60 ounces of water plus a gatorade each day

4- reduce the amount of chai I drink - I have not had chai since June 30. Just sayin'.

5- reduce the amount of sweets I eat - one glass of lemonade and a mini Blizzard during the fireworks display; I am drinking a bit too much lemonade but I have not had any sweets (candy, etc) 

I've been riding my bike for errands and to local tennis matches. I've been walking the dog in the afternoon at the local nature preserve. I don't think I've been overeating but I haven't been tracking. I've had lots of vegetables, fruits, and proteins. I've cut way back on carbs. I feel pretty darned good and have noticed that my footwork during tennis is improving. I am more on my toes and less flat footed.

I cannot force myself to put on the swimsuit. I'm really disappointed in myself but I honestly cannot stand looking at my body and the thought of being in a swimsuit makes me cry and want to drink chai. 

Sounds like you're doing well on many many fronts! Congratulations!

I don't know if this is appealing or not, but I wear rash guards as a swimming top because I can't get sunburned. They are long-sleeved and made of swimming fabric. Lands End has a bunch of them. They're on sale right now. 

• Like 3

What about the swimsuit distresses you the most? For me, I was fine with the tankini top, but felt really uncomfortable with my bottom half. Swim shorts (like bermuda short length) solved my discomfort. Maybe we can help you troubleshoot?

I know for me, I often thought that losing x amount of weight or reaching x size would solve things. Unfortunately, I have lost that weight and more and got closer to those sizes and discovered that all my same body image issues remained.

• Like 3

What about the swimsuit distresses you the most? For me, I was fine with the tankini top, but felt really uncomfortable with my bottom half. Swim shorts (like bermuda short length) solved my discomfort. Maybe we can help you troubleshoot?

I know for me, I often thought that losing x amount of weight or reaching x size would solve things. Unfortunately, I have lost that weight and more and got closer to those sizes and discovered that all my same body image issues remained.

What distresses me the most? The whole thing. I feel exposed. Everything is out there with no way to hide it. I'm round (about as wide as I am thick) with a floopy tummy with rather large b00ks. One pieces are awful and make me feel like a stuffed sausage. Two pieces (I had one that resembles a tennis outfit - swim skirt with longer top - but it became thread bare and my bottom half began to peak through.) just don't cover up or support the b00ks enough. I guess I could wear a sports bra while swimming. The swimsuit I purchased has shorts since I couldn't find a swim skirt at that moment. You know the moment I'm talking about. The one where it's "I've been putting this off just do it. I'm here. I've got a coupon. I've got Kohl's cash. Just get it already." I've loaded it up in the Kohls bag to be returned. 

• Like 1

What distresses me the most? The whole thing. I feel exposed. Everything is out there with no way to hide it. I'm round (about as wide as I am thick) with a floopy tummy with rather large b00ks. One pieces are awful and make me feel like a stuffed sausage. Two pieces (I had one that resembles a tennis outfit - swim skirt with longer top - but it became thread bare and my bottom half began to peak through.) just don't cover up or support the b00ks enough. I guess I could wear a sports bra while swimming. The swimsuit I purchased has shorts since I couldn't find a swim skirt at that moment. You know the moment I'm talking about. The one where it's "I've been putting this off just do it. I'm here. I've got a coupon. I've got Kohl's cash. Just get it already." I've loaded it up in the Kohls bag to be returned. 

I am well acquainted with that feeling. It's gotten a little bit easier as the weight has come off for me, but even now I actually can't find bottoms in any of the stores that I've shopped at.

I really like the swimsuits from Land's End (they have a wide variety of sizes too). All of the Land's End swimwear is 60% off right now and they have free shipping with orders over $50 and a generous return policy (you can return it at any time for any reason). I find that they're really nice quality and wear well over time, fwiw.

I lost my b00ks as I lost weight. I think they volunteered in tribute or something so I can't vouch for their supportive-ness, but they do have underwire swim tops like this one which is actually a dresskini that needs to be paired with bottoms of some kind. I really like their 9" boardshorts because I feel covered and comfortable. I got mine with the attached liner so it's all in one. I'm 5'7" and they come down close to my knees. They do sell different lengths, though, if you're shorter.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 2

I had been doing CrossFit regularly until I went home on vacation for 3 weeks.  I intended to visit the local gym or at least do some workouts on my own, but I think I only did 3 or 4.  I went on a couple of hikes and went kayaking one day as well.  

I got up and went to my CrossFit gym this morning and worked on the Snatch Complex, biked for 9 miles and then did some extra lifting.  I'm tired but I feel good!  I'm sure I'll be very sore on Sunday, but I have a 5 mile hike planned for that day and I'm really looking forward to it.  I think my dh might even join me :)

Next week I'll return to playing field hockey in our local adult league on Wednesdays and there are a couple of tournaments coming up too.  

• Like 5

I used to be size 2 and LOVED prancing around the beach.  I bought a bathing suit two years ago (which covers me from my neck to almost my knees) and it took me TWO YEARS to be able to wear it bc every time I put it on and looked in the mirror, all I saw was fat, fat, more fat, fat mixed with cellulite and then a bit more of that.  I just finally said "screw it".  I like to swim and I wanted to be in the water with the kids.

I asked my husband to take some candid pictures bc I wanted to see what I really looked like.  It wasn't the best, but I didn't faint in horror either.  I don't know if I"ll ever be able to wear regular bathing suits, but for now I am just trying to enjoy myself looking the way I do.

And just so you know  - I am 5'1 and weight over 170lbs. 

So, just bc you buy one, doesn't mean you have to wear it right away  :)

• Like 3

Went to the park this am to work out, ended up only 1 other lady joined me but we had a good time of it. We did a walk with some sprints(I didn't go all out as I was trying to stay fairly even with her). We did various exercises, planks, plank tucks on the swings, monkey bars, squats and lunges. We have this area that is kind of an obstacle course and we went through that. She was only up for going down the fire pole once :) Really, it is a pretty good set-up and at that time no one was out with kids. We didn't kill ourselves but it was a good effort and we were soaked in sweat. She wants to do it again and other friends have said they would like to join in so I'm hoping to make it regular. I need to think of some modifications for different things. This is good practice for me to get to plan classes in a low-key, low-stress way and I'm excited to be working on building a community of people working out together and encouraging each other, squee! I might hit a free yoga class tomorrow, depends on the family plans, which I'm not sure of right now.

I have been put of commission for almost two weeks. :( The spider bite, the allergic reactio to the abx, severe insomnia, now a migraine from the steroid shot. I've spent days on the couch and I am really bummed.

I did lose 4 lbs in the last 10 days. Lol

(hugs) that sounds horrible. I had a bit of a reaction to abx in the fall. Starting getting a rash and horrible itching with the first dose, I had them write me a new scrip, although they thought I was paranoid. I had weight loss too, but that is not the kind of weight loss you want!!

My singles tennis match yesterday was against a 17 year old boy. It was so much fun, and the rallies were excellent. I ended up losing, but I was really happy to simply stay in the game as long as I did. 

I'm playing mixed doubles tennis this evening with dh and friends as long as the rain holds off. Otherwise, I'll try out another fitness class this morning. It's "Cardio and Strength" so I'm not quite sure what that will be like. Probably no crazy hips moves.  :laugh:

WTG playing a 17 yo boy, woot! Cardio and Strength sounds pretty safe :) I have a friend who is 70 and she teaches a cardio and strength class, she's a real fireball!

6 miles yesterday and today. The humidity is really kicking my butt. I miss winter running. Of course, someone is going to have to remind me of this when it's windy and cold. Today was slightly better than yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be even cooler so I delayed my long run until then.

Met my step goal yesterday. I have about 1200 steps to goal today.

I hear you on the humidity. It has been 100% in the mornings, thankfully not blistering hot yet but the humidity is enough on its own.

First off it sounds like you are kicking butt. Secondly (hugs) about the swimsuits. 

I'll join in for July.

My goals for July:

Welcome! Good plan, hope it helps with your pain.

I had been doing CrossFit regularly until I went home on vacation for 3 weeks.  I intended to visit the local gym or at least do some workouts on my own, but I think I only did 3 or 4.  I went on a couple of hikes and went kayaking one day as well.  

I got up and went to my CrossFit gym this morning and worked on the Snatch Complex, biked for 9 miles and then did some extra lifting.  I'm tired but I feel good!  I'm sure I'll be very sore on Sunday, but I have a 5 mile hike planned for that day and I'm really looking forward to it.  I think my dh might even join me :)

Next week I'll return to playing field hockey in our local adult league on Wednesdays and there are a couple of tournaments coming up too.  

It is always a struggle to get back in in routine but it sounds like you are getting back into the swing of things.

• Like 3

The Cardio and Strength class was much better then Zumba for me. It was still Aerobics aka dance-like moves to music, which is not my favourite thing, but the changes in movements was a lot less frequent and the strength exercises were alright. I liked the relaxing music and stretching at the end the best.  I think I'd like a Cardio kickboxing class a lot, if only they offered it. I trained martial arts for 13 years, so kicking and punching is much more familiar to me.  :laugh:

It's raining hard now, so I'm suspecting that tennis will be cancelled tonight, sadly. I think we'll do a family trip to the wave pool instead. 

• Like 4

The Cardio and Strength class was much better then Zumba for me. It was still Aerobics aka dance-like moves to music, which is not my favourite thing, but the changes in movements was a lot less frequent and the strength exercises were alright. I liked the relaxing music and stretching at the end the best. I think I'd like a Cardio kickboxing class a lot, if only they offered it. I trained martial arts for 13 years, so kicking and punching is much more familiar to me. :laugh:

It's raining hard now, so I'm suspecting that tennis will be cancelled tonight, sadly. I think we'll do a family trip to the wave pool instead.

Does your gym offer kettlebell classes? What about Bodypump? I love kickboxing too.

• Like 1

I used to be size 2 and LOVED prancing around the beach. I bought a bathing suit two years ago (which covers me from my neck to almost my knees) and it took me TWO YEARS to be able to wear it bc every time I put it on and looked in the mirror, all I saw was fat, fat, more fat, fat mixed with cellulite and then a bit more of that. I just finally said "screw it". I like to swim and I wanted to be in the water with the kids.

I asked my husband to take some candid pictures bc I wanted to see what I really looked like. It wasn't the best, but I didn't faint in horror either. I don't know if I"ll ever be able to wear regular bathing suits, but for now I am just trying to enjoy myself looking the way I do.

And just so you know - I am 5'1 and weight over 170lbs.

So, just bc you buy one, doesn't mean you have to wear it right away :)

Honestly, I am a size 2 and I still feel uncomfortable in a bathing suit. Insecurity doesn't go away just because one can fit into a smaller size. I'm sorry to everyone that struggles with this. I wish I could strut around in trunks like so many men regardless of their bellies or dad bods! Sometimes being a woman really sucks.

• Like 3

Honestly, I am a size 2 and I still feel uncomfortable in a bathing suit. Insecurity doesn't go away just because one can fit into a smaller size. I'm sorry to everyone that struggles with this. I wish I could strut around in trunks like so many men regardless of their bellies or dad bods! Sometimes being a woman really sucks.

Oh believe me, I know. 

• Like 1

Well, I already failed on two of my goals today.  Had some food late at night and it's now midnight and I am still not in bed.

Great start!

It's just one day. Succeeding isn't perfection but it is persistence, keeping on even after you screw up, time after time. Having faith that you can do it!

• Like 3

Well, I already failed on two of my goals today. Had some food late at night and it's now midnight and I am still not in bed.

Great start!

Think of it less as a start of some great big thing and more of the first day in establishing new habits. And since habits take a longer time to form than just one day, hiccups along the way are to be expected. Because you're already working against established habits.

I find that thinking more along these lines makes it easier to keep going. When you put a lot of pressure on how you must succeed in doing these things and expect it to be a matter of willing it to happen right away, then it's easier to throw ones hands up and say "see, I totally couldn't do it." Whereas, if you reframe it mentally, you shrug and say "hey, tomorrow's another day." If a few months down the road if you're still still struggling, then maybe those goals have to be modified.

Or maybe instead of setting hard and fast goals, you set process goals? Chunk your goal up into smaller, intermediary steps that you work on over a longer time period like 6mos. Then it's one small step at a time until your goal is easy peasy and you don't even have to think about it.

• Like 3

Well, I already failed on two of my goals today.  Had some food late at night and it's now midnight and I am still not in bed.

Great start!

I would suggest a change in perspective: you got input that your strategy for achieving those two goals needs tweaking. 

Rather than just label it :fail. I would encourage you to think through what happened:

Exactly what was the sequence in eating after 7:00?  Is there anything in that sequence that could be tweaked so that you are less likely to do it tonight? Did you get triggered by seeing food? Did you get triggered because you were doing an activity in which you usually eat late at night? Is there an activity that you could substitute for the eating? Is your "why" strong enough?  Thinking through those kind of questions will help you accomplish what you want. 

For the bedtime, that is a goal of mine as well. Last night, I blew through the stop light. My problem is that there is a show I like to watch on Amazon and I clicked on a second episode and then because I wasn't quite sleepy enough, I started surfing the internet. Now I need to think about what in that sequence I could change.  

ETA: I don't have any expectation about answering the questions on the forum. I'm just giving you some examples of how to figure out what your triggers or obstacles are so that you can change things in a way that allows you to meet your goal. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

Does your gym offer kettlebell classes? What about Bodypump? I love kickboxing too.

There are a few different classes being offered next week, and perhaps in the fall and winter there will be some new things. I'll keep trying out all the classes, though.

For kettleball, is there much overhead work? I have to be really careful with my shoulders because of swimming in my youth. If I keep the overhead work to a minimum, I'm fine. 

• Like 1

Exactly what was the sequence in eating after 7:00?  Is there anything in that sequence that could be tweaked so that you are less likely to do it tonight? 

:iagree:   I try not to eat in the evening, but sometimes I'm simply starving as I've done a lot of activity throughout the day. I'll indulge in that late-night snack, feel guilty, then discover that I've lost weight the next day.  The times I resist eating in the evening, I can't sleep because I'm so hungry. 

For me, when I'm physically active in the day, my hunger may not emerge until the evening. It's weird.

• Like 3

I love this group. The advice being shared is wonderful. 

I tried on the bathing suit pieces. Meh. The boy shorts are going back. The skirt is doable but it's not my favorite. The tops both fit but I don't know if they'll provide continuing coverage while actually swimming.

I got all of my water in yesterday and am halfway through today's. I have remained candy and chai free thanks to some delightful wild raspberries and mulberries picked while walking at the nature preserve.

I did a bleacher workout this morning, then walked 3/4 mile around the track to cool down then walked the 3 mile round trip to the farmer's market. Oh, the delightful treasures I found today. Yellow and purple carrots. Fresh peas. A huge cabbage. Purple potatoes. Sweet corn. Wax beans. Locally harvested honey.

The coffee truck was out and chai is one of his offerings. I just walked right on by.

I'm going to make a crockpot dinner today and enjoy some fresh vegetables for lunch.

• Like 3

My friend wants me to do the 10 day shred with her.  She is doing Juice Plus but isn't a distributor.  She says she is fine with me doing a non-JP version of it (which for me would be Festiv jp knock-offs and RAW MEAL protein powder) and I told her I won't go caffeine free......that is just crazy talk!   :lol:

So, no:

Flour

Sugar

Refined foods

Dairy

2 shakes per day, lots of fruits/vegetables and some whole grains 

We are starting Monday.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Dh and I played 3 hours of doubles tennis last night. Neither of us were playing well, and we weren't getting along on-court so well, either.  :smash:  We did much better mentally when we weren't teamed up together. Oh well, these things happen.

This morning/early afternoon I took the exchange students and my 2 youngest boys for a hike in the park where we'd been skiing a lot in the winter. It was so weird to see the trails without snow. I dropped off the exchange students downtown to meet friends and explore, dropped off my 2 guys at the swimming pool, and plan to have a nap myself.  :hurray:  Later tonight I have another singles ladder match. 

• Like 3

2 mi. briskish walk with dh this am then 1 hr free yoga class. It was a pretty easy class but had some strength work. 

Came home and ate and took a nap, my period started today and it hit me. Hoping for a bike ride tomorrow and we need to mow. Laurie, I'm in the same boat as you it is HOT and HUMID here, we'll be sweating buckets.

• Like 3

There are a few different classes being offered next week, and perhaps in the fall and winter there will be some new things. I'll keep trying out all the classes, though.

For kettleball, is there much overhead work? I have to be really careful with my shoulders because of swimming in my youth. If I keep the overhead work to a minimum, I'm fine.

Hmm. There is overhead stuff and I know what you mean. I had tendinitis in my shoulder for over a year! Lifting has actually help it a lot, but only you will know what your shoulders can handle.

• Like 2

I've had to workout at home lately but I've kept on track! I bought 21 day fix months ago, but decided then not to do the program. I hate when people tell me what to eat! Haha! I thought I would do the workouts and I've liked them so far. It's similar to what I do at the gym. So I did did the upper body fix and the lower body fix in order to work out for an hour.

• Like 3

Did strength training for both upper and lower body tonight. I love the way I feel after lifting weights, but I don't particularly like the actual weight-lifting, so I tend to put it off. 

Anyway, now my reward is that my body will start autophagy (clean up at the cellular level). That's important to me not just for repair of muscles but because I have a family history of Alzheimer's and the clean up is known to include the brain. So heave ho! 

And I intend to give the process its best conditions by lights out at midnight. 

• Like 3

Hey all, have been absent from this thread for a long time :) But we're past the graduations, our vacations, a wedding, and dear friends moving back to China (sadness) and I'm somewhat back into my routine.

My July goals are (1) to not drink alcohol except for super-duper special occasions---like the wedding that was on July 1 :lol: and (2) track my eating on MFP.

I've added yoga twice a week to my workouts (free at our gym). My dh has been attending since November, and he thinks it will help with my flexibility. I'm not sold yet---bit slow for me. I promised dh I'd try for the summer.

I do two Pilates classes (free; based on Cassey Ho's Pop Pilates) and two small-group training sessions (paid) a week. The training sessions are bootcamp-ish with kettle bells and dumbbells. I love both equally.

Once a week I'm working on either deadlifts or bench press. Last week I pressed 100lb for the first time :party: I had been stuck at 85lb for So Long.

On Sundays I walk 4 miles round trip to the local farmers' market to buy the veggies I don't grow and some meats.

So my workout week is structured

Su: long walk

M: Pilates and yoga

T: lifting OR walking 2-3 miles

W: training and Pilates

Th: training

F: walking 2-3 miles OR lifting (opposite of Tues)

Sa: yoga

Youngest d leaves for her year abroad in 6 weeks. Older d (recent college grad)'s apartment lease is up at the end of July; she'll be moving home until she and friends decide where they're going to live. S is moving back to this coast in Sept after 2 years working in Silicon Valley (he's staying w the same company, working remotely and flying to CA for a week each month on their dime). He, his gf, and 2 past roommates will be living together---but until they find a place, he and his stuff will be here, too!

• Like 5

I bought a swim bra. It holds like a sports bra and looks like one. I wear it under my rash guard. It is great and holds them up where they should be:). Also, have you tried the swim capris? Best thing ever as they hold, compress and shape a bit. I got ones with a skirt attached and are bike short length. They have several lengths:

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 3

It was way cooler and less humid today so pushing my long run off until today was a great plan! 10 mile run today so I easily met my step goal. 39 miles total for the week.

I foam rolled tonight and made sure to thoroughly stretch. Tomorrow's a rest day which I'm really looking forward to!

:iagree: I try not to eat in the evening, but sometimes I'm simply starving as I've done a lot of activity throughout the day. I'll indulge in that late-night snack, feel guilty, then discover that I've lost weight the next day. The times I resist eating in the evening, I can't sleep because I'm so hungry.

For me, when I'm physically active in the day, my hunger may not emerge until the evening. It's weird.

Me too! I just make sure whatever it is that I eat meets my nutritional/training goals.

• Like 4

I'm in New York for a few days and just had an awesome run through Central Park. It's a lot warmer here than I'm used to so I was thankful for all the drinking fountains I came across. I plan to hit the hotel gym for some strength training today. We'll also be out walking most of today. My big challenge will be not to eat anything horrible.

• Like 5

:iagree:   I try not to eat in the evening, but sometimes I'm simply starving as I've done a lot of activity throughout the day. I'll indulge in that late-night snack, feel guilty, then discover that I've lost weight the next day.  The times I resist eating in the evening, I can't sleep because I'm so hungry. 

One of the new things I'm trying is to make sure I eat breakfast before 7:30am and eat nothing after 7pm. 

Now that I don't work in the morning, I noticed I was eating breakfast around 9:30 or so, then lunch about two hours later, and then dinner between 5&6pm (when DGD and DS like to eat).

My new eating schedule allows for about 12 hours of fasting at night and then spaces my meals throughout the day instead of lumping them all within 8 hours.

• Like 2

I want to get started with the weight machines.  I was going to start, but for a variety of reasons/excuses I have not yet.  It needs to be easy and not take more than 30 minutes total to start.  Ideally machines.

They do have a design your own program thing where I go, but I can't make any of the times they offer.  

Anyone have any suggestions?  And no not stuff like push ups and squats.  I think my form is too poor for these AND I can't even do one push up so that seems pointless.  And, again, form.  I can't be sure of my form on these.

Reading everyone's responses and suggestions and encouragements - thank you!!

The bottom line is - I have NO will power.  I like eating at night.  I like going to bed late.  I always have.  Since I was a kid.  Obviously, the huge difference is that my body can't handle it anymore.  So, I need to change my habits, the ones that I've had for over 35 yrs.  And since I was always too arrogant to believe that once you hit 40, it is 100 times harder to loose weight - well......here I am.

I am not externally motivated person and truly, for me, the only real answer is "just do it".  So....I am taking it day at a time.

Yesterday was a bit screwy bc we were gone all afternoon and didn't get home until after 8pm, so I was eating late again, but today should be a more "normal" day.

Scoutermom - I read somewhere that to loose weight you have to fit your meals within 8 hr period but it doesn't sound right to me at all, so I might do something similar to what you are doing.

• Like 4

Reading everyone's responses and suggestions and encouragements - thank you!!

The bottom line is - I have NO will power.  I like eating at night.  I like going to bed late.  I always have.  Since I was a kid.  Obviously, the huge difference is that my body can't handle it anymore.  So, I need to change my habits, the ones that I've had for over 35 yrs.  And since I was always too arrogant to believe that once you hit 40, it is 100 times harder to loose weight - well......here I am.

I am not externally motivated person and truly, for me, the only real answer is "just do it".  So....I am taking it day at a time.

Yesterday was a bit screwy bc we were gone all afternoon and didn't get home until after 8pm, so I was eating late again, but today should be a more "normal" day.

Scoutermom - I read somewhere that to loose weight you have to fit your meals within 8 hr period but it doesn't sound right to me at all, so I might do something similar to what you are doing.

What is your internal motivation for changing your habits? 

• Like 2

My singles tennis match yesterday went well. I played against a guy and we had some great rallies. It was my first win enabling me to move upwards on the ladder, so I'm pleased. I'm playing another guy tomorrow, but he's 17 or 18 and I played him last year. I'm pretty sure I'll lose, but it will be a fun match.

Dh and I played a couple hours of doubles tennis this morning. It was a lot of fun and I was hitting the ball well, which always makes things more pleasant. ;)

I may pop over to the gym to watch some Wimbledon tennis in the tvs there while I use the elliptical or stationary bike. We don't have any channels to watch the live matches at home, and moving while watching tv makes me feel less guilty.  :laugh:  ETA: Dh just told me that there are no matches today, but I may go work-out and watch tv anyway. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I have zero willpower as well. If I have to "just do it," I will never last. Instead, I break larger goals up into small, easily managed,  steps that don't require a lot of thought or effort on my part. Matt Frazier describes it here. For me it works because as he points out - 

When the small steps approach works, it works because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s never hard. Each new step is tiny, and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re well equipped to handle it because youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve gotten there gradually. Soon, if you do things right, the new way becomes your habit, where you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to think about it at all.

And because it was easy, my own internal motivation plus a few external game-ification type tools is enough to keep me moving along.

For some people that isn't enough so in the article I linked, he talks about a hybrid between massive action and incremental action. For some people that's maybe a better overall fit, but that's probably even variable depending on the goal. To this day, I still use some of the habits and scaffolds I used when I started running back in 2015 to help get me out to run, even when I'd really rather sit and read or watch movies all day.

So, for example, if I had a goal of getting to bed by 11 pm, I'd break it down into smaller steps and establish scaffolding to help make it something that I'd do without thinking. Small steps for me would be getting to bed 5 minutes earlier every night. Scaffolds would be establishing a bedtime routine that I always did in the same way every night. It could be a simpler set of routines or it could be a several hours long easing into bedtime, but I'd be consistent.

I also find competing against the me of yesterday very motivating. Ha! Take that yesterday me!

• Like 1

Since people are talking about intermittent fasting of the form that shoots for a certain number of hours between last food intake of the day and first intake of the next day, I wanted to say that the purpose is not necessarily weight loss though it can help with that. 

Fasting does some things to the body like turn on authphagy (the cellular clean up crew) and affects how you respond to hormones (insulin resistance is decreased with a long stretch of fasting for instance.) 

There is current research indicating that for breast cancer survivors, for instance, a 13+  hour overnight fasting period has an advantage over a 12 hour overnight fasting period . It was also noted in that study that A1C was positively affected by the fasting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27032109

There is also some thought that extended nighttime fasting (or alternately, the 5:2 diet) may help ward off dementia. http://www.johnshopkinshealthreview.com/issues/spring-summer-2016/articles/are-there-any-proven-benefits-to-fasting

• Like 3

What is your internal motivation for changing your habits? 

I...don't...know.....

Like I have no idea what made me start walking about a month ago.  I've been fat since I had my last kid and I've been wanting to loose weight and get more fit even longer.  I've thought about it daily, hourly for all those years.  And then one day, without any "plans" or "goals" I just went for a walk and then did it again the next day, etc etc

And yet I should probably figure out a plan bc even walking on most days I have not lost a pound....

Like I said - I am "just do it" person, I think....  I don't know....

• Like 5

Mowing done. We were out there 3 hrs, the first part on the riding mower but at least an hour push mowing(on our hilly yard). I had to take a break for a few minutes as I nearly overheated. We're still considering a bike ride this evening but we'll see how dh feels after his nap :) When I was sick there was no way I would have been able to push mow at all. I didn't have the endurance and could not have tolerated the heat, it would have knocked me out for a day just to try it. BUT I can do it now, I have to take a break but I made it longer than before this time and after sitting for a bit I was able to finish it up.

We've been planning an overnight backpacking trip for our anniversary(in a week) but I'm not sure when we will get to do it. It is supposed to only be in the low 90s next weekend but we don't have babysitting and that is as hot as I want to try it. The trail is extremely rugged with little shade, plus we'd have big packs on of course. The trip we've got planned is around 19 mi(it is our 18th anniversary so I wanted to make it close to 18), the young fit guys are saying they can only do a mile an hour so we're looking at 10 hr+ days w/ some breaks, that is a long time in those temps (heat index pushing 100). We might end up doing some day trips instead with the kids.

I am *still* sore from working out Fri, I guess I worked us pretty hard! I'm thinking about doing full body work just 2x a week. If I do 1 day w/ friends that ensures a good work-out 1 day, which just leaves me one other day on my own and that usually isn't too hard as we do it for hs PE ( and ds is also working on his fitness merit badge). We are hiking and biking whenever we can manage it. I've got to suck it up and do sprints at least 1 other day, maybe I could do that Tues. too and then the rest of the days we'll just do what we feel like and have the time for, that strategy seems to be working fairly well. Dh loves hiking and biking so we usually have a longer trip on the weekends and during the week the kids and I walk nearly every day as they absolutley love our family walks.

Thursday I have to teach 2.5 hrs of yoga classes. I'm nervous as h3ll. It is a camp for sickle cell kids put on by a major hospital, each of my 2 classes will have 32 kids, which is a TON to manage. Gah. I wonder what I've got myself into. I've got to be studying my plan but my current strategy is to try and not think about it.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3