Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - July 2017

I did end up doing my strength training yesterday. I wasn't sure I was going to pull it off. Didn't do all my stretches, but did a couple of key ones. Today is a rest day. 

More extended family arrived. In addition to potato chips tortilla chips and some other kind of chip , there are OREOs. So far, so good. I am sticking to my 0% resolution. I am a serial Oreo eater, so I dare not start!

• Like 3
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! I think I can join this thread!   I started Nutrisystem last month. I'm in my 3rd week, down about 7 pounds. I'm actually really enjoying the program. I feel like I'm eating all the time, a

I hit 10# weight loss! Wahoo!   DH and I have been going out from 6:30-7:00 in the morning for brisk walks. I think we've been doing it for nearly two weeks now.

Still on vacation, so I've barely been on the boards. I'm happy that I've been able to exercise consistently for this whole trip - almost 3 weeks now. I've hit the gym hard four times and then I've ru

I did a full-body weight routine yesterday.  I only lifted about 55-70% of the amount of weight that I could lift at my peak a few months ago, and even so I am very sore today!  Also got a rather bad migraine, so I'm not sure if today will be a rest day, or if I will feel up to doing something (something gentle and light!) by late afternoon or evening.

• Like 3

Well, so much for my workout tomorrow. I may be able to ride the exercise bike but not much else. I was still sore last night so decided to go down to mil's house to jacuzzi in her garden tub. She recently had it redone which meant all new tile including the steps. The contractor never put the non skid strips down. I fell on the wet tile, and am pretty hurt. The chiropractor should be able to fix it, and when the pain goes down enough I can handle a therapeutic massage, I will get one, but I am barely surviving on pain meds today. Upper body. My legs are okay which is why I will probably try to suck it up and do five or six miles on the bike tomorrow just to not have a big break in exercise routine.

Sigh....

Our mini vacation starts next weekend.

Dh is at mil's house putting down the strips...all over. It scares me to think of my 81 year old, arthritic second mom being left with tile steps leading up to that thing and nothing to prevent falls. We provided a hand rail to mount on the wall so she would have a hand hold to help her in and out. The contractor was paid to install it, and never did. MIL never mentioned that??? Grrrrrrr......

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

Well, so much for my workout tomorrow. I may be able to ride the exercise bike but not much else. I was still sore last night so decided to go down to mil's house to jacuzzi in her garden tub. She recently had it redone which meant all new tile including the steps. The contractor never put the non skid strips down. I fell on the wet tile, and am pretty hurt. The chiropractor should be able to fix it, and when the pain goes down enough I can handle a therapeutic massage, I will get one, but I am barely surviving on pain meds today. Upper body. My legs are okay which is why I will probably try to suck it up and do five or six miles on the bike tomorrow just to not have a big break in exercise routine.

Sigh....

Our mini vacation starts next weekend.

Dh is at mil's house putting down the strips...all over. It scares me to think of my 81 year old, arthritic second mom being left with tile steps leading up to that thing and nothing to prevent falls. We provided a hand rail to mount on the wall so she would have a hand hold to help her in and out. The contractor was paid to install it, and never did. MIL never mentioned that??? Grrrrrrr......

I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

I'm doing some painting on the house outdoors - window trim and doors. I have to fit in other tasks and activities while the paint dries so I keep my momentum going. If I stop moving I'm afraid I'll never get up and going again.   :laugh:  In between activities include grocery shopping and going to the pool to swim laps. Dh and I will play some tennis this evening. The last thing I need to figure out is when to take my shower - after swimming, painting or tennis? 

• Like 3

5.5 miles on the exercise bike. That's all I could manage because I am just so sore everywhere else. But at least I was moving and keeping my muscles from seizing up.

Tomorrow, sore or not, I'm going to try at least light weights. I'll lay off the rowing machine until I'm not sore anymore, but I don't want to just lose steam again.

I am not seeing any change in how my clothing fits at this time, but my energy levels have come up just a little. That's really my short term goal....get my energy and endurance up. The scale will move when it moves. Or not. At which point I may verbally abuse some not-listening-to-me medical professionals, but at least I will be in a healthier state of being, or at least that is my hope.

Meanwhile, my little exercise buddy, the not so small 6 ft. 17 year old rising senior, runs miles on the treadmill, then bikes it, then lifts weight, and MAYBE at the end of 45 minutes has a drip of sweat. I have yet to see him breath. No joke. I think he is in such good shape, so young, and such an amazing oxygen conservationist that he's actually, genetically, a 500 year old Redwood or Sequoia or something! I try not to let it be disheartening. I think I may have been that young once. Maybe. I don't know. I lose track........

• Like 6

Faith---I'm so sorry to hear about your fall! That stinks. Glad that you are better enough today to do some movement. 

It's so inspiring to see you focusing on things other than the scale. I think the short term gain of energy is a great reward!

• Like 1

Today, I hope to get in strength training, but it's my day to cook for everyone here on vacation. I spent part of the day shopping. I think I'll do all the meal prep I can, then exercise, then cook. 

So far, so good with the Oreos sitting out. (They are not mine to move. And there are plans afoot to bake brownies. Oh dear.) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

FaithManor - I totally understand having a training "buddy" making things look a little too easy. I shared a lane in the pool today with a man in great shape for swimming. I can swim fast, due to my competitive swimming background, but I don't swim long distance these days. In order to keep up with my lane "buddy" I swam 100m "sprint" intervals - sprint only in the sense that it was my fastest pace for 4 laps at this point in my life.  :laugh:  This way, I could justify long rests in between the 100m.  I just returned from taking my ds to the dentist. I fell asleep sitting in the waiting room I was so tired from the swim!  :lol:

• Like 2

Did a cycling class again today. It doesn't hurt my sprained ankle at all, which is great. I think I need to start easing into walking again, to slowly strengthen it enough to start hiking and running again. I want to be able to run again by the time the weather is cooling off this fall. Winter is the best season for running here! (You can hardly call it "winter" actually.)

I'm still sore from my weight workout on Saturday. I'm planning to do weights tomorrow though I may have to take it a bit easy.

• Like 2

Kettlebell Interval at the Y. It's still the toughest workout that I do.

I've been considering getting a fitness tracker of some sort. Do any of you use it? I keep hearing that it's not very accurate when monitoring workouts. Is this true? Any experiences to share?

• Like 1

reading, no brain power to respond, camp along with getting over being sick, and my period are kicking my butt.

Too many kids!!! For this, will restructure next year, for sure. Gah, that probably makes no sense. I've had 13 kids for camp, which is really too small for the space, most of the kids are great but a few, oh vey, a couple of kids can really change the mood.

Edited by soror