Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - July 2017

Still on vacation, so I've barely been on the boards. I'm happy that I've been able to exercise consistently for this whole trip - almost 3 weeks now. I've hit the gym hard four times and then I've run at least 3 times a week, sometimes 4. I'm signed up to do a spin class with my sister tomorrow morning. I took her to the gym yesterday and she said she can barely walk today ;) 

Food has been harder now that I'm staying in a house instead of a hotel. I'm up to two meals a day - the first usually happens at about noon. It's more about being interested in what is in the fridge (berries, cheese, peanut butter, salami, etc.) than it is about hunger. I've stuck pretty close to my intentions, but have had a few treats. Also, I gave myself free reign on fruit and I have eaten a ton of it. And I also gave myself free reign on wine. So it's a good thing I'm not eating bread or other obvious carbs because I think I'm getting lots through fruit and wine :( I'm ok with that. 

• Like 8

I didn't do too much exercising today - just recovering from my tennis yesterday, walking the dog, and resting up for my evening competitive mixed doubles tennis match. I was feeling good and hitting the ball fairly well during the match. We didn't win, but we had some great rallies. It was spitting rain during the entire match, which was a little strange.

• Like 5

Hi, my first time in this thread. I'm 43 and about 50 pounds overweight. I'm starting with a goal of doing yoga twice a week (I've finally found a class to fit in with childcare requirements). I have some injuries which mean I can't run or jump, but I do have an elliptical at home so I've been trying to do some high intensity workouts on that, supported by youtube hiit workout videos. 

I love junk food, so eating healthily is my main challenge (and I know it's food rather than exercise which will reduce my body fat). So far so good this week. 

• Like 8

Hi, my first time in this thread. I'm 43 and about 50 pounds overweight. I'm starting with a goal of doing yoga twice a week (I've finally found a class to fit in with childcare requirements). I have some injuries which mean I can't run or jump, but I do have an elliptical at home so I've been trying to do some high intensity workouts on that, supported by youtube hiit workout videos.

I love junk food, so eating healthily is my main challenge (and I know it's food rather than exercise which will reduce my body fat). So far so good this week.

Sounds like you're off to a great start! HIIT workouts are so great for burning up the pounds.

• Like 3

Still on vacation, so I've barely been on the boards. I'm happy that I've been able to exercise consistently for this whole trip - almost 3 weeks now. I've hit the gym hard four times and then I've run at least 3 times a week, sometimes 4. I'm signed up to do a spin class with my sister tomorrow morning. I took her to the gym yesterday and she said she can barely walk today ;)

Food has been harder now that I'm staying in a house instead of a hotel. I'm up to two meals a day - the first usually happens at about noon. It's more about being interested in what is in the fridge (berries, cheese, peanut butter, salami, etc.) than it is about hunger. I've stuck pretty close to my intentions, but have had a few treats. Also, I gave myself free reign on fruit and I have eaten a ton of it. And I also gave myself free reign on wine. So it's a good thing I'm not eating bread or other obvious carbs because I think I'm getting lots through fruit and wine :( I'm ok with that.

Sounds good! I'm getting a little concerned about my upcoming vacation. I'm going to two locales that are foodie havens. The national pastime of both places are eating and that is what I'll be expected to do during family gatherings.

• Like 4

woo hoo ladies keeping active on vaca!

yoga practice done this am- practicing the class I'm going to teach this morning. Feeling a little less jittery, fingers crossed and all that. Today we are doing various variations of sun salutations and then prep for and practicing the crow pose and some nice long stretches at the end.

One of the ladies said Tues said she'd not done crow before so of course I had to do a class on it, I love seeing people succeed at something they don't think they can do. In training on of the ladies was a fiesty lady of 70 and I led her through her first crow, she was on cloud 9 :) 

• Like 5

STuck to my plan of only one small piece of lasagna last night. I did have a small  amount of bread which wasn't in the plan, but that was okay.  When a couple of us came home from downtown walking/shopping, someone had been grocery shopping. There was a huge bag of potato chips as the first thing you see when you walk into the kitchen. <sigh>  I am saying it here: I am aiming at no chips. I may not quite make that, but as long as I can stick to small tastes (which often I can't), I will be alright. 

Today's action plan is walking/running on beach, core, and stretching. Hopefully, someone will kayak with me! 

• Like 4

Okay, people.  I actually have an update!

I finally got myself back to the gym yesterday after THREE MONTHS off.  With a lot going on at home and starting a new co-op, I just wasn't able to get into a routine, so I pretty much gave up for a while.  All my weights went down by about 25%, and I probably should have gone a bit lower on a couple of them, but the gym was packed and I just wanted to get it done.  I'm hurting pretty good today, lol.

So, during those 3 months, I pretty much ate whatever the heck I felt like eating, including way too much pizza and ice cream. (Chocolate Therapy is my new Ben and Jerry crush.)  I was skipping food at breakfast in favor of re-upping my coffee creamer intake.  :glare:  Some of my knee problems were beginning to resurface, though not as bad as in the past. My clothes have been a little ill-fitting, but not so much as to require a new size.  I was feeling *slightly crummy, but not as much as I usually do when I've put workouts on the back burner. Feeling icky is usually what pushes me to get back on track, so now I have to decide on a different motivator to focus on because I feel like my body is lying to me now.

Anyway, once again, I have to say that scales are stupid.  Weeks and weeks and WEEKS of not taking care of myself, and the scale says I'm only up 2lbs.  It knows nothing about health and/or fitness!

I am starting to get worried that my body is going to betray me at some point in the next few years and start punishing me for just thinking about ice cream or sitting for more than 5 minutes at a time, so maybe I can use that as a motivator.

• Like 5

This focus on finishing time was so destructive for my enjoyment of running races. I'm competitive, and it's completely natural to have a goal of running faster. However, as our bodies get older and we have a lot less control over injuries, it is so hard to equate good preparation = better race time.

I hold my time goals very loosely because let's face it, any normal training cycle with no issues, where everything goes just right does not guarantee results. There are just too many variables both in and out of a runner's control that come into play. I'm pretty good at setting conservative goals and also able to let them go on race day if it looks like they're not possible. Nothing else to do really when your car is parked over by the finish line. I'm sorry that was your experience. It can be tough to deal with when you're competitive. I don't think I'm competitive enough for that to be an issue. Finishing consistently in the bottom ten has a way of keeping you humble.

Strength training for me today. Arms, hips, and core. And I'm now down 100lbs. Triple digits!

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

Ds and I went to the rec centre to work out in the gym then go swim a few laps. It was great. My shoulder is feeling really good, and all the aches and pain from extreme yoga stretches are gone. 

Costco had blueberries on sale again! Bonus!!! I stocked up, but they won't last long around here. ;)

• Like 4

I finally got myself back to the gym yesterday after THREE MONTHS off.  With a lot going on at home and starting a new co-op, I just wasn't able to get into a routine, so I pretty much gave up for a while.  All my weights went down by about 25%, and I probably should have gone a bit lower on a couple of them, but the gym was packed and I just wanted to get it done.  I'm hurting pretty good today, lol.

So, during those 3 months, I pretty much ate whatever the heck I felt like eating, including way too much pizza and ice cream. (Chocolate Therapy is my new Ben and Jerry crush.)  I was skipping food at breakfast in favor of re-upping my coffee creamer intake.  :glare:  Some of my knee problems were beginning to resurface, though not as bad as in the past. My clothes have been a little ill-fitting, but not so much as to require a new size.  I was feeling *slightly crummy, but not as much as I usually do when I've put workouts on the back burner. Feeling icky is usually what pushes me to get back on track, so now I have to decide on a different motivator to focus on because I feel like my body is lying to me now.

Anyway, once again, I have to say that scales are stupid.  Weeks and weeks and WEEKS of not taking care of myself, and the scale says I'm only up 2lbs.  It knows nothing about health and/or fitness!

I am starting to get worried that my body is going to betray me at some point in the next few years and start punishing me for just thinking about ice cream or sitting for more than 5 minutes at a time, so maybe I can use that as a motivator.

Congratulations on getting back on the wagon! Everyone falls off the wagon at some point or another. Success is found in continuing to get back up, brush yourself off, and get back on the wagon. Way to go!

Strength training for me today. Arms, hips, and core. And I'm now down 100lbs. Triple digits!

Wow! That's a major milestone! Congratulations!  :hurray:  :party:

• Like 2

Class taught and I was decent I think. They said it was challenging- it is hard to guage exactly teaching it. I'm pretty wore out from practicing an hour than teaching another hr after not exactly a full night of sleep

Ds and I went to the rec centre to work out in the gym then go swim a few laps. It was great. My shoulder is feeling really good, and all the aches and pain from extreme yoga stretches are gone. 

Costco had blueberries on sale again! Bonus!!! I stocked up, but they won't last long around here. ;)

MMM, blueberries. glad your shoulder is better.

And an other 12000+ steps day!!
My polar is so happy this vacation :D

Saturday travelling back, so that will become a bad day in steps.

Kudos on the steps

Just be happy for the good luck! That should be a good motivation to get back with it!

• Like 3

I have not checked in for a long time. Not weighing myself, just working out. Well, not today. I increased my time on the rowing machine and pulled a muscle. I am really sore. I figure my clothes will let me know how I am doing, and I find the scale to be a depressing appliance!

I am working out four days per week - except this week Grrrrrrr - for forty five minutes. 20 min roughly four miles on the exercise bike. 15 on the rowing machine which is kicking my butt at the moment. 10 on weights. I would like to increase weights but figure I will turn myself into pool of oozing pain if I increase weights and rowing machine at the same time!

• Like 7

I'm so disappointed ladies. I got sick last night and had to cancel the class I was going to teach this morning. I've been begging her to let me teach it for over a month, I only got a shot because she is out of town :( We have some weird stomach bug and I came down with about 102 fever, chills, body aches, and upset tummy. I was shaking horribly. Gah. My fever broke in the night and I finally took a massive amount of ibuprofen to stop the pain so I could get a few hours of sleep. Thank goodness it seems to be abating as I've got kid's camp next week, I don't have time for this, I've got to buy supplies, and get groceries but it will have to wait.

I'm so disappointed ladies. I got sick last night and had to cancel the class I was going to teach this morning. I've been begging her to let me teach it for over a month, I only got a shot because she is out of town :( We have some weird stomach bug and I came down with about 102 fever, chills, body aches, and upset tummy. I was shaking horribly. Gah. My fever broke in the night and I finally took a massive amount of ibuprofen to stop the pain so I could get a few hours of sleep. Thank goodness it seems to be abating as I've got kid's camp next week, I don't have time for this, I've got to buy supplies, and get groceries but it will have to wait.

So sorry your feeling bad. And too bad about the timing. Hope you get another chance to teach the class in the future.

• Like 3

Oh, man, that's awful!  I'm so sorry.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Oh no! Being sick is no fun on any day, let alone on a day like today! I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

Just for fun, I thought I would share one of my favorite dessert recipes.  It's a fruit salad with no added sugar, so it's Whole30 and Paleo friendly (not low-carb, though, since there's quite a bit of naturally-occurring sugar) and it's vegan and low-fat and I don't know what else (I'm sure we have a variety of different dietary philosophies going on here!).

Ginger Lime Fruit Salad

Into a medium mixing bowl, zest and juice one small lime, until you have about a teaspoon of zest and a tablespoon of juice.  Stir in half a teaspoon of grated ginger*.    Peel and chop one very ripe mango, and toss that in.  Add a cup of quartered strawberries and half a cup of blueberries.  Toss everything to coat, and serve immediately or chill.

* I'm lazy so I buy my ginger this way.  I'm sure freshly grated is even better.

It's insanely good!  I've given the recipe as written (it's from Cooking Light magazine), but I don't measure out quantities precisely.  And I've made it with other fruits when I didn't have all of those on hand, and it was great.  But it must have the mango:  magic happens when you combine ginger, lime, and mango!  :D

If anyone else has any favorite yummy, healthy recipes to share, I'd love to read them!

• Like 3

I went to yoga this morning, hoping it would be mainly strength work and it was a lot more long stretches again. I took it easy, though, trying to prevent more pain afterwards.  I've been for a little bike ride to pick up a few painting supplies, and then started painting the outside windows and doors. I'd forgotten how tiring painting can be. ;)  This evening dh and I have our 3-hour-tennis-marathon with friends, so I'll need to rest up for that. Should be fun. 

• Like 4

Spin class today.  I loved it because the instructor played 70's rock!  :D  It's such a good workout.  I work a lot harder in that class than when I'm doing things on my own.  And since I can't run, hike, or do the step mill for awhile, I think I'm going to start going more often.

• Like 6

Today, I am doing active recovery. Took a long walk on the beach, only some of it at a pace that I could call cardio. Saw some interesting birds. Stopped to take some photos. Did a couple stretches. Will plan to do more later. 

I am using one of my weekly ice cream allowances this afternoon. :) 

Tonight I am cooking, so it's chicken, pasta and loads of veges. And fruit. Loads of fruit. 

Tomorrow, it's supposed to rain, so I saved strength training for then since I can do it indoors. 

• Like 6

Went to the gym today. Twisted my wrist lifting weights or over stressed it or something. It is really sore right now.

But I managed to do a really thorough workout so am happy about that. I used an ice cream allowance last night so really needed to work my tushy today!

• Like 5

Welcome! I hear you about healthy eating being a challenge. Potato chips are a weak spot for me. 

Feel free to post about diet and exercise concerns and triumphs.

• Like 2

It seems like I step away for a few days and everyone goes crazy with the workouts!  Keep it up ladies. You are all awesome.

I've been doing well. Not great but decent. I've been doing great with my water intake.The last couple of days I've consumed too much lemonade but I'm still drinking lots of water. I've only had 4 chais throughout the month. I've had those Skittles from a couple of weeks ago and a bag of small York patties to soothe a glutened stomach. But I have been eating chips. Lots and lots of chips. Ugh. I was looking slimmer and fitter for about a week and now it's back to belly bloat and  feeling sluggish. :(

I have been playing a lot of tennis and I mean a lot of tennis. I can't remember the last time I updated my activity but I've been playing tennis almost every day (sometimes twice a day) for about two weeks. When I can't play against another person, I've been doing service practice and hitting against a backboard. My serves are getting faster which is always nice. I've also been giving a couple of lessons.

Perhaps the biggest thing is that my new job (as of yesterday) involves athletics. I will be coaching tennis for a local college. I am beyond excited. I'll have free access to the fitness center and a personal trainer, and will go through strength training and conditioning certification. I'm hoping this will help with my inability to lose the excess weight around my middle. I hesitated to apply for the position due to my jelly belly but forced myself to apply at the last possible moment. I am terrified about having my picture taken and I am fearful about how emotional I am going to be at picture time but I really want the opportunity. I almost didn't accept the job because of the pictures. I wish I could be happy being me. But I can't. I just don't want it to stop me anymore.

• Like 5

Perhaps the biggest thing is that my new job (as of yesterday) involves athletics. I will be coaching tennis for a local college. I am beyond excited. I'll have free access to the fitness center and a personal trainer, and will go through strength training and conditioning certification. I'm hoping this will help with my inability to lose the excess weight around my middle. I hesitated to apply for the position due to my jelly belly but forced myself to apply at the last possible moment. I am terrified about having my picture taken and I am fearful about how emotional I am going to be at picture time but I really want the opportunity. I almost didn't accept the job because of the pictures. I wish I could be happy being me. But I can't. I just don't want it to stop me anymore.

Wow, congratulations!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  I've been thinking about applying for a job, for the first time in 20 years.  Scares me half to death.  So you're giving me hope.   :001_smile:  I always hate having pictures taken - it is extremely intimidating.  But you are doing the right thing, and they are going to turn out fine!  It's very important that we push ourselves outside of our comfort zone from time to time (do as I say, not as I do, :lol:)  So I am very proud of you!

• Like 2

So proud of you Scoytermom, way to go!!!!!

Thanks all for well wishes.I was in bed all day yesterday and couldn't keep anything down so I am quite weak. My tummy feels better this am, fingers crossed. My plan is to rest as much as possible this weekend so I am ok by Monday. Maybe make it outside just to sit would be good!!!!!

• Like 4

I have been swimming 9 out of the last 10 days. I noticed the pool is not super clean...if it is looks bad today, I may skip. 

I have not lost any weight in three weeks, but I have been faithful to watching my calories (1200 - 1400 although some days I only get 1000) and eating clean (no processed food except my vegan protein smoothie powder). I am trying hard to not lose motivation. My clothes are rather loose so I think I am losing inches just not weight - could be muscle? I have done an abs, legs, and arms routine every day for 12 days now. 

The best part is I feel pretty great! Lots of energy and happy.  

• Like 5

I'm still feeling good this morning and *trying* to eat again, fingers crossed!

I have been swimming 9 out of the last 10 days. I noticed the pool is not super clean...if it is looks bad today, I may skip. 

I have not lost any weight in three weeks, but I have been faithful to watching my calories (1200 - 1400 although some days I only get 1000) and eating clean (no processed food except my vegan protein smoothie powder). I am trying hard to not lose motivation. My clothes are rather loose so I think I am losing inches just not weight - could be muscle? I have done an abs, legs, and arms routine every day for 12 days now. 

The best part is I feel pretty great! Lots of energy and happy.  

Kudos on swimming! Girl, you have got to do measurements!!!!

• Like 3

I've managed to get a lot of house work done this morning (the kids tried to keep it together but it needed a Mom's touch). It looks soooo much better, I'm resting now because I absolutely have to go shopping this evening. Those are going to count for today's "exercise" considering how sick I've been. The weather is absolutely gorgeous this weekend, mid-80s down to mid-60s, I'm really, really hoping I'm up for a walk at least tomorrow to enjoy the weather. I told dh it is a real shame that we're sick(he's not feeling 100% either) as it would have been the perfect weekend for backpacking.

• Like 3

Today is supposed to be a strength training day, but I ended up taking a long walk with some jogging intervals to get out of the house and work off some stress. (We're at the coast and the street flooded last night. Since we're renting, we had no idea that we were at risk here in high rains. It was brief, but got in our cars. Anyway...) Running in wind was actually a good reset but I am tired. I hope I can get myself to do the strength training later today. Stretching too. 

• Like 3

Laurie sorry about the flooding, that stinks :(

Greta- I Meant to say thanks for the recipes they sound great

Faith- welcome!

lmrich- just keep swimming :) :) 

carrie- woot! 

I survived shopping. Yesterday I ate breakfast and then around 4 pm it occurred to me I never ate lunch(breakfast was at 8am). My appetite is very wonky b/c my stomach is off and I'm nauseous. But I am miles better than where I was so there is that. I know my appetite is going to come roaring back at some point. I haven't had a normal day's worth of food since Wednesday. 

Today I must finalize my plans for camp b/c it starts tomorrow. EEEEEEKKKK! Thankfully it is in the am when I tend to have more energy, otherwise it will be adrenaline powering me through, must be spunky for the kiddos. 

Hoping for a walk this evening in the gorgeous weather but otherwise I'll be planning and resting.

• Like 3

I did end up doing my strength training yesterday. I wasn't sure I was going to pull it off. Didn't do all my stretches, but did a couple of key ones. Today is a rest day. 

More extended family arrived. In addition to potato chips tortilla chips and some other kind of chip , there are OREOs. So far, so good. I am sticking to my 0% resolution. I am a serial Oreo eater, so I dare not start!

• Like 3

I did a full-body weight routine yesterday.  I only lifted about 55-70% of the amount of weight that I could lift at my peak a few months ago, and even so I am very sore today!  Also got a rather bad migraine, so I'm not sure if today will be a rest day, or if I will feel up to doing something (something gentle and light!) by late afternoon or evening.

• Like 3

Well, so much for my workout tomorrow. I may be able to ride the exercise bike but not much else. I was still sore last night so decided to go down to mil's house to jacuzzi in her garden tub. She recently had it redone which meant all new tile including the steps. The contractor never put the non skid strips down. I fell on the wet tile, and am pretty hurt. The chiropractor should be able to fix it, and when the pain goes down enough I can handle a therapeutic massage, I will get one, but I am barely surviving on pain meds today. Upper body. My legs are okay which is why I will probably try to suck it up and do five or six miles on the bike tomorrow just to not have a big break in exercise routine.

Sigh....

Our mini vacation starts next weekend.

Dh is at mil's house putting down the strips...all over. It scares me to think of my 81 year old, arthritic second mom being left with tile steps leading up to that thing and nothing to prevent falls. We provided a hand rail to mount on the wall so she would have a hand hold to help her in and out. The contractor was paid to install it, and never did. MIL never mentioned that??? Grrrrrrr......

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

Well, so much for my workout tomorrow. I may be able to ride the exercise bike but not much else. I was still sore last night so decided to go down to mil's house to jacuzzi in her garden tub. She recently had it redone which meant all new tile including the steps. The contractor never put the non skid strips down. I fell on the wet tile, and am pretty hurt. The chiropractor should be able to fix it, and when the pain goes down enough I can handle a therapeutic massage, I will get one, but I am barely surviving on pain meds today. Upper body. My legs are okay which is why I will probably try to suck it up and do five or six miles on the bike tomorrow just to not have a big break in exercise routine.

Sigh....

Our mini vacation starts next weekend.

Dh is at mil's house putting down the strips...all over. It scares me to think of my 81 year old, arthritic second mom being left with tile steps leading up to that thing and nothing to prevent falls. We provided a hand rail to mount on the wall so she would have a hand hold to help her in and out. The contractor was paid to install it, and never did. MIL never mentioned that??? Grrrrrrr......

I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

I'm doing some painting on the house outdoors - window trim and doors. I have to fit in other tasks and activities while the paint dries so I keep my momentum going. If I stop moving I'm afraid I'll never get up and going again.   :laugh:  In between activities include grocery shopping and going to the pool to swim laps. Dh and I will play some tennis this evening. The last thing I need to figure out is when to take my shower - after swimming, painting or tennis? 

• Like 3

5.5 miles on the exercise bike. That's all I could manage because I am just so sore everywhere else. But at least I was moving and keeping my muscles from seizing up.

Tomorrow, sore or not, I'm going to try at least light weights. I'll lay off the rowing machine until I'm not sore anymore, but I don't want to just lose steam again.

I am not seeing any change in how my clothing fits at this time, but my energy levels have come up just a little. That's really my short term goal....get my energy and endurance up. The scale will move when it moves. Or not. At which point I may verbally abuse some not-listening-to-me medical professionals, but at least I will be in a healthier state of being, or at least that is my hope.

Meanwhile, my little exercise buddy, the not so small 6 ft. 17 year old rising senior, runs miles on the treadmill, then bikes it, then lifts weight, and MAYBE at the end of 45 minutes has a drip of sweat. I have yet to see him breath. No joke. I think he is in such good shape, so young, and such an amazing oxygen conservationist that he's actually, genetically, a 500 year old Redwood or Sequoia or something! I try not to let it be disheartening. I think I may have been that young once. Maybe. I don't know. I lose track........

• Like 6