Menu

Latin for Late Elementary

Tracy_Lord

Hello Hive,

I was a member a number of years ago and benefited from your collective wisdom.  I've lost that email and log in so I'm new, again.  I'm homeschooling my kids who are in 5th, 3rd, Pre-K and babylove.  Looking ahead to next year, I'm thinking of introducing my kids to Latin.  They've haphazardly done Song School Latin and some Minimus but next year, I'm hoping to skip formal English grammar and language arts in favor of Latin.  My oldest doesn't care about grammar and spelling but loves using a broad vocabulary in her writing.  She can correctly complete lessons and retain absolutely nothing.  My second loves structure and order but doesn't think about descriptive language.  (She struggles with adjectives and adverbs in a way I've never seen.)  Between the two of them, I think a year of Latin would be valuable and might help both of them with their language skills.

What curriculum would you recommend?

Thank you.

Tracy_Lord

The Big Book of Lively Latin is what I'm considering.

I'm also looking at CAP's Latin for Children.

In my experience , MP makes excellent materials but they are VERY dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

We're in the middle of our first year of Latin (with my oldest, the 4th grader) and we are using The Big Book of Lively Latin (#1). We absolutely love it. Very manageable and easy to understand, but I feel like we're learning so much. I highly recommend! (I can't speak to any other programs, as this is the only one we've tried, but so far, it's awesome.) 

• Like 1

My oldest, the only one who currently does Latin, loves Lively Latin.  I love that it's pretty self directed.  If I wanted to learn Latin I could, but I don't have to. There are on-line lessons/videos if you want to use them.  If you already know latin or you are good at just reading it and figuring it out you don't need the on-line part. 

It has grammar, vocabulary, history, stories, and much more. :)

PS: My signature line is completely outdated.

• Like 1

Another vote for Lively Latin. We've really enjoyed it. My oldest is doing Lukeion Latin now and LL gave him a great foundation. I found it very easy to learn alongside him with no prior knowledge of Latin myself. My younger two also use LL and didn't want to do the history so we just skip those pages for them. 

• Like 1