Menu

best biography picture books

I'll looking to make a collection of 15-30 biographies. PLEASE make suggestions.

Here are the Conditions:

The list must be picture books. They can be longer, or for older kids. But MUST be picture books

They must be able to be read in ONE sitting. Either by the child or with a parent's help.

The list must be diverse. People of all colors, jobs, genders, both people from the past and present, multiple languages, disabilities.

In someway, these people must have bettered the world (in anyway. Whether their individual communities, or the world at large).

Are fantastic!

Thanks!

ETA: preference should be given to books published in the past 5 years, but an older book could be considered if it is truly superb

Edited by athomeontheprairie

When I was little I had a series called Value Tales. Each book was a separate bio. I loved them and read them over and over. I found they still have them but combined into volumes. Here's the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1416998381/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=1JLQUJ9OM6T5J&coliid=I451VNYP5ALV9

(They looked like this when I was little- I wish I still had them. Guessing my step mom pitched them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0916392066/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EJ7Z4CZ4WRM5PQZNYJK8)

OOP, but available used for 1 cent & shipping on Amazon.

First Step Biographies, each entitled "Young _________"  focusing on significant events of their childhood.

Here's the link to the Helen Keller one:

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Helen-Keller-First-Start-Biographies/dp/0816725314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147775

Published in 1997, by Troll.  Amazon has the "look inside" feature, so you can see what the pictures look like.  Our kids grew up on them.

There seem to be 19 in the series, and several of them have been republished recently.  32 pages in the Helen Keller one, illustrations on every page.

Here are some that we like:

James Rumford

Seeker of Knowledge

Sequoyah (I have not read this one.)

Traveling Man

From the Good Mountain

Kathryn Lasky

The Librarian Who Measured the Earth

John Muir

One Beetle Too Many

Vision of Beauty

Elizabeth Rusch

Electrical Wizard

Aliki

A Weed is a Flower

James Cross Giblin

Thomas Jefferson

George Washington

Laurence Anholt and Mike Venezia did many biographies of artists. The latter author also did biographies for composers and even some on inventors and scientists.

Barbara Cooney

Eleanor

Cheryl Bardoe

Gregor Mendel

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 2

There are also humorous ones by Mike Venezia.

Getting to know the world's greatest composers, presidents, artists, scientists, etc.

Here's the one on Beethoven:

https://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-Beethoven-Getting-Greatest-Composers/dp/0516200690/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477867947&sr=8-2&keywords=venezia

Cartoon drawings, humorous takes on the famous person's life events.

Our library has them.

--Beth

• Like 1

It's 1:30 and we have an audition tomorrow, so I can't take too long on this, but you can do worse than the books by Don Brown. I believe some of his books are out of print. That doesn't matter.

I was going to recommend his Thomas Edison one A Wizard from the Start.

And one we just read today The Boy Who Loved Math the Improbable Life of Paul Erdos by Deborah Heiligman.