Menu

My daughter loves crafts

She really loves to work with her hands, she loves science courses that involve creating- specifically the super charged science stuff that is all glue, popsicle sticks and paper.

But I am at a loss to really have her resonate working with her hands so I'm asking people here any recommendations for me?. This is a kid who needs to be hands on or the days can be long and difficult. She's 10 and sews with grandma occasionally and loves to be independent.

The science class was a fluke but any ideas appreciated. This is not an area I am strong in.

For history you can do tons of hands-on projects.  SOTW activity guides are full of things like that, though many aimed at a slightly younger age.  But for whatever you're studying she can do dioramas, or relief maps out of plaster of paris, that kind of thing.  same with biomes, you can do dioramas of specific areas.

For math, there are lots of crafty fractal projects, or she can make physical representations...the internet is your friend!  You can look up "math <topic> crafts" and see what pops up!

Was that the kind of thing you were looking for?

For literature study again, you can search for <bookname> projects and see what's out there.

She really loves to work with her hands, she loves science courses that involve creating- specifically the super charged science stuff that is all glue, popsicle sticks and paper.

But I am at a loss to really have her resonate working with her hands so I'm asking people here any recommendations for me?. This is a kid who needs to be hands on or the days can be long and difficult. She's 10 and sews with grandma occasionally and loves to be independent.

The science class was a fluke but any ideas appreciated. This is not an area I am strong in.

Does it have to be a craft related to Official School Stuff? Could it not be a really useful "craft" such as knitting or crocheting or counted cross stitch?

• Like 2

Jan Van Cleave has lots of hands on science experiment books that are organized by topic. 

Use manipulatives in math.  Simply Charlotte Mason has some hands on books where you run a sports store or book store and some other kind of store that I can't think of at the moment. 

You can do some of the American Girl crafts - each historical doll has it's own craft book, I believe. 

Just some ideas:

Inexpensive paper crafts that relate to learning like lapbooks, minibooks, interactive journals and Evan-Moor History Pockets. There are some interesting interactive journal activities for every subject.

Cooking--She can research and make different historical or cultural meals

Botany through gardening

Lego or cardboard models of the 7 wonders of the world

Nature journals

Wood carving

You could get her a toolbox, some basic tools, and scrap lumber and then let her go to town

Mosaics

Survival skills: fire building, shelter making, trap setting

Sign her up for some crafting, sewing, or knitting classes

Buy her good student grade art materials and a mixed media sketch book and set aside time each day to create

Music lessons with a teacher who will teach her improvisation

Maybe a computer coding workbook?

• Like 1

My girl is the same. Every morning basically I google "subject we are studying" and "crafts" and pick something out. i wish I was more organized, but I'm not. So pretty much every day has something hands on. If the history didn't turn up a good idea, the science usually will. Our science curriculum (bookshark) has at least one hands on thing every week anyway, then I can often find another, plus another two crafts for history. 5th day is park day but she has free reign with the craft supplies if she chooses. Today we make a tornado using 2L bottles, but then she played with feathers and pom poms and glue on her own for more craft stuff. I think she made a flying cat. 

901Rocks-or the equivalent. In my area, there's a project to paint rocks, and then leave them in public places, posting clues to them on a FB page. Basically, a version of geocaching with art involved. DD enjoys painting hers to look like animals(or at least their heads) and seeing how long it takes before someone realizes that it isn't actually a frog or toad :).

The American Girl historical series has project books with the older ones. I collected them used from Amazon and elsewhere. They have cooking and crafty stuff.

Evan Moor pockets

Getting Nerdy with Mel and Gerdy (Teachers Pay Teachers site) has crafty science stuff

Ellen McHenry's science courses some crafty aspects

Cooking and baking

Knitting and crochet

• Like 1