Menu

Need advice making well water more palatable

plain jane

We moved to a new place and it seems that the whole area has well water that is high in iron content.  It's potable but the water tastes like pennies and nobody is finding it enjoyable to drink (we typically drink a lot of water).  I've been currently been adding juice powder to hide the taste but I don't like having this much sugar in our diets but at the moment it's the only way I can get anyone drinking water.

I am looking for a more long term and economical solution than purchasing bottled water (we are quite rural and due to family size would require a lot of bottled water).  There is an iron filter in place in the house but the water taste is still bad.  Are there other filters that I can purchase (countertop or for bottles) that will take away the iron taste?

I forgot to add that this is a rental while we get a feel for the new area and look for a home to buy next summer so I don't want to do anything permanent to the house as it would be lost money on my part.

Edited by plain jane

Our well water has iron and sulphur. We have a water softene that uses the iron removing salt. We don't drink from the tap ever. We use a Brita pitcher that filters the tap waterm. It tastes totally fine. We also have a filter called a Sulphur Eliminator attached to the well. I wish we'd gotten the sulphur and iron removing one but we only got the one for sulphur as we didn't realize the level of iron until afterwards.

You can try adding a reverse osmosis system. I am not sure of the cost. Our house came with one that is by the water softener in the basement. There are under the kitchen sink models but they don't filter as much water. There is maintenance of course with replacing filters.

• Like 1

We live rurally and have high iron content in our well. We have a softener for the rust, but for drinking water it's still not yummy. I have four 5 gallon water bottles and bring them into town to refill once a week when I'm purchasing groceries, running kids to activities, etc. As we age and packing 50 lb. bottles of water around becomes less fun, we're hoping to install a filter under the kitchen sink for drinking water.

The area where I grew up and my parents still live has well water. When I was a kid, the water tasted mineral-y but then when I was in high school, the Clinton Administration changed the EPA's water standards. My parents' well had too much arsenic to meet the stricter standards (lovely!) and they had to install a reverse osmosis system to get the arsenic out. After that, their water tasted fine.

I don't think RO is cheap, but it's probably more cost-effective over the long run than buying bottled water.

Reverse osmosis. I've lived two places with different filters for horrible iron water, a green sand filter and a ozone filter and the RO is a must for drinking water. Especially since it isn't good to be drinking such high levels of iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!  I completely forgot to add that we had moved due to work relocation and we are renting as I don't know the area at all and was very hesitant to buy until I figured out where we want to be.

I don't want to spend the money on an RO system as this isn't our house (and it sounds like they are pricey?) but I need a solution.  It sounds like the Berkley takes out iron taste?  I will look into that.  I wasn't sure if it would or not.

• Like 1