Menu

Dorm room dishes questions

swimmermom3

I would like to pick up some basic dishware for ds's dorm room. We figure that it is likely he will eat cereal in his room before running to class.

The ideal: just a plate, bowl, and mug that are microwaveable.  Dh suggested looking for a set that had different colors. Then roomies know whose dirty dishes are whose.  We'll need some silverware too.  I figured I'd pick up a small dish pan, dishsoap and some way (sponge?) to transport dishes to kitchen for a cleaning.  How realistic am I being?

Suggestions?  We will be driving back to DC from NC and I figure it'll be cheaper and easier for us to pick it up at a Walmart or Target along the way then to try and do it back in DC.

Whatever they have at the thrift store.

My DD and her room mate had no difficulties distinguishing whose dishes were whose. A lot of stuff she took got lent to people and never came back. 10 ct utensils from the thrift store bin were just the right price range to make that a non-issue.

Dishpan? They're not going to lug a dish pan to the kitchen. They'll rinse the bowl in their bathroom, if at all.

• Like 6

Minimize it....pyrex or corningware bowl with plastic lid, random plate and mug from thrift shop. They will use silverware from the dining hall and return it. Likely will just rinse the dishes, but if there is soap might use it and it will be left on the hand towel to dry.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I got each girl two lunch-size Corelle plates and a Corelle bowl from Walmart, and a mug or two (not Corelle).  I'll probably scrounge up a couple of pieces of silverware from somewhere too.  I was going to get some kind of melamine, but one dd was adamant she wanted something more 'real', and I figured Corelle doesn't break easily and is cheap...

• Like 2

Whatever they have at the thrift store.

My DD and her room mate had no difficulties distinguishing whose dishes were whose. A lot of stuff she took got lent to people and never came back. 10 ct utensils from the thrift store bin were just the right price range to make that a non-issue.

Dishpan? They're not going to lug a dish pan to the kitchen. They'll rinse the bowl in their bathroom, if at all.

There is a kitchen in your dorms?  We just rinsed out our dirty dishes in the bathroom and reused. And immediately as possible after use. There is no place for dirty dishes to sit around.

• Like 1

DD and her roommate decided on two colors, then they each bought two-of different things. So roomie bought two coffee mugs and two travel coffee mugs. DD bought two smoothie cups (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0142JQ422/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and two Corningware microwavable soup mugs (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LGLHFPK/ref=twister_B00OQ07SJQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) & some luncheon plates from Pier One. They also have some plastic bowls/tumblers that came in a set. Roomie bought a set of flatware.

Right now, they have a bathroom sink, dish soap, and a scrubbie thing to wash dishes with. It's only cereal, oatmeal, or fruit that they're eating in their room, so it shouldn't be too bad. . . hopefully. lol

• Like 1