Menu

Speed Queen Washer Users

Spillman6

Queen size comforters don't do well, either. We only have 5 in our family but the dc do their own laundry so our machine is in use nearly daily. To me the tub capacity is about the same as we had with our front loader. As Ottakee said, the wash cycle is short--much shorter than we had with the front loader. I do find that the dryer runs about twice as long than before though.

The short cycles make up for the capacity. Although in all honesty HE washers' capacity is deceiving because most manufactures only want to you to fill the drum 1/3 to 1/2 of the way for "best results". My front loader's cycle was 1:20-1:40 and it took me three days to do all of the laundry if I wasn't hearing the buzzer right away. Now with my Speed Queen I can get it all done in one day. :)

A couple of weeks ago, I needed a new washer and was deciding between a speed queen and a certain samsung.  I took a normal load to the store to see if it would fit.  The speed queen was too small for us as it didn't hold a queen quilt nor what was our normal load.  

Maybe take a normal load or queen quilt to the store and see if it meets your requirements.  

I have an old top loader and it has always taken only 30 minutes per load. I wonder if the Speed Queen is just really an old type of washer? I hear all these stories of new washing machines taking so long.

I've always said that whenever my old workhorse washer dies, I'm getting a Speed Queen. I think it won't be much difference. Simple and fast.

Edited by Garga

I have an old top loader and it has always taken only 30 minutes per load. I wonder if the Speed Queen is just really an old type of washer? I hear all these stories of new washing machines taking so long.

I've always said that whenever my old workhorse washer dies, I'm getting a Speed Queen. I think it won't be much difference. Simple and fast.

That is the whole point of a speed queen....simple and fast. The washer like the good old days.

• Like 1

I think it is really just an old fashioned washer, made better than the current "old fashioned" washers. Instead of plastic parts they use steel I think. It's a hell of a lot heavier that my last old fashioned washer, I know that for sure!!

Can a private party purchase one of the commercial sized Speed Queen washers?

Sure, but it'll cost you. I priced the commercial ones for the vet hospital, and IIRC, I was looking at about 6-10k for the pair, and special installation techniques/plumbing/etc would be needed. At least close to 10k all said and done. At that price, I was happy to go with the <$1000 one and figure on replacing it periodically, lol, especially since I imagine repairs would be pretty pricey on those very pricey commercial ones, too.

(And, FWIW, I love front loaders, but they were a bust at work (burned through about 4 in 10 years) because of their design not being very compatible with lots of pet hair . . . Some little drain valve gets clogged up with the floating hairs (top drain, somehow, I suppose?) . . . but the typical top loaders drain from some other place (bottom, I suppose) where the hair doesn't tend to clog up . . . Once the sales guy mentioned that (from another sale to a different vet hospital), I was like WOW, yes, that's what our kennel staff complains about and why they have a monthly preventive maintenance check list that includes taking something apart and cleaning the hair out of some drain pipe in the washer . . . Another reason they love the speed queen. :) I'm still happy with my front loaders at home. :)