Menu

Allergy testing ???

Prairie~Phlox

I am having allergy testing done on May 11th.  I got the paper work today and it's kind of confusing, it says not to bring more than 1 person with you and preferably not a minor.  Do I need to have someone with me?  It says it will take an hour and a half.  Also, it gives me the list of medications to not take, I currently take Loratidine, Muscinex and Singulair.  The only one listed is Loratidine, so I can take the rest?  Or do you think I should try and go off everything. That's going to be a long 5 days.

I just did allergy testing last Thursday. I was told no antihistamines for 3 full days before. I would call and ask about the meds just to be sure. I didn't take anything before my appointment just to be safe. It took 2 hours for the testing and consultation for me, but I also had a couple of lung function tests thrown in. I don't think there is any reason why you would need another adult with you, but it definitely would be a pain to wait all that time with a child. Good luck!

I would have someone with you, if possible, just in case you have a bad reaction.  They are rare but do happen.  My brother had a bad reaction and needed someone to drive him home.  But it is also nice to have a second person to help with information.  Sometimes it is a lot of information thrown out really quickly and having someone else listening in (if you are comfortable with that) can be an asset.

I would ask your allergist what medications to stop if you have a specific question.  Basically you need to be off antihistamines for a few days before (how many seems to vary by doctor) so that they don't mask a reaction.  When DS was still taking Singulair, he was told to continue taking it. 

Good luck with your testing.

• Like 2

Thanks, my husband is out of town that week, my daughter will most likely be working, but if she's not, I will have her come.  If not, I can call a friend to come and get me, but am not going to make someone kill their morning waiting around, we only live a few miles from the doctors office.

Is there a way to have a driving capable person with you or to call for a ride home if needed?

Others have answered, but the Singulair and Mucinex should be fine. You need to be off the antihistamine. 

They do a baseline skin prick to make sure your skin is reactive to histamine. They prick and wait for the reaction. I can't remember how long--15 minutes?

Assuming you are reactive, the skin prick for the selected allergens. Again, you wait for a reaction to form if it does. If you do react, this will be itchy part.

They will note reactions and then wipe off your back. You could bring something like benadryl with you in case you react.

I won't let them do skin prick testing of my son in his peak nasal allergy seasons (spring and summer), because being off the anti-histamine for x number of days is complete misery for him.

Is there a way to have a driving capable person with you or to call for a ride home if needed?

Others have answered, but the Singulair and Mucinex should be fine. You need to be off the antihistamine. 

They do a baseline skin prick to make sure your skin is reactive to histamine. They prick and wait for the reaction. I can't remember how long--15 minutes?

Assuming you are reactive, the skin prick for the selected allergens. Again, you wait for a reaction to form if it does. If you do react, this will be itchy part.

They will note reactions and then wipe off your back. You could bring something like benadryl with you in case you react.

I won't let them do skin prick testing of my son in his peak nasal allergy seasons (spring and summer), because being off the anti-histamine for x number of days is complete misery for him.

Yes, it would not be a big deal to call someone to come and get me, I'm hoping it's not too bad.

If you think you will continue with the practice to get shots (a high likelihood if you are getting testing), I would ask about the one-person and no minors rule. If you end up having shots there, and this is their all the time rule, not just testing rule, it might make things difficult. I would not be able to schedule appointments around those constraints at all. Maybe once for testing, but not for any kind of return visits. 

I agree that seems odd with no children. I had my children with me for my testing. They do a skin test to try to prevent a person from having a SEVERE reaction that would require hospitalization. They don't want antihistamines in your system at the time of the test. So anything that isn't that I would continue to take. 

Good luck! I was surprised what I ended up being allergic to and not. Thought for sure I had a seasonal allergy and didn't. Thought I was just allergic to peanuts, and I was allergic to cashews and pistachios as well. It is all just so surprising! 

Good luck!

When I had my allergy testing done a few years ago, I was told not to take Singulair.  It may have changed, but I would check to be sure.  i went by myself and it was fine.  You probably won't need anyone to come get you.  I would check about the policies too.  If you have to get  weekly shots, it would be a pain not to be able to have your kids with you.

Suzanne

Thanks, this is the exact wording on the letter that I got:

Allergy testing is most efficiently accomplished if only the patient and not more than one other person - an adult if the patient is a child - is present when testing is done.  Please avoid bringing minors, other than the patient, to this appointment.

The allergist has to assume that you will have a really bad reaction, because some people do.  And the people who have bad reactions may or may not be able to care for their own child.  Plus, it might be traumatic for the child to see their parent in such a fragile condition.

Rules like this are often made in response to a bad situation that has happened in the office in the past.  :(

• Like 2