What's with the ads?

Photo

Puffin Classics: Tales of Ancient Egypt & Tales of.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Sunshine Mama

Sunshine Mama

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

Tales of Greek Heroes. Both written by Roger Lancelyn Green. We are doing SOTW Vol. 1 right now - my son is 6. Would these be age appropriate? I'm especially interested in comprehension level. WOuld he be able to understand it? TIA!

#2 MelissaM

MelissaM

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

We waited until the logic stage for those. There are other better books for the younger kiddos.

#3 Ishki

Ishki

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5601 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

My dd read those for the first time in 5th grade. It seemed better suited to that age for my dd.

Janet

#4 Laura Corin

Laura Corin

☢ She Who Schoolmarms Bees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16853 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

Laura

#5 nmoira

nmoira

Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis and hypocrisy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15889 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

Tales of Greek Heroes. Both written by Roger Lancelyn Green. We are doing SOTW Vol. 1 right now - my son is 6. Would these be age appropriate? I'm especially interested in comprehension level. WOuld he be able to understand it? TIA!

We're not big fans of Lancelyn Green in general, but his Tales of Ancient Egypt is one of two or three books (ever) that we chose not to finish. It's just boring. It's not as complex, but we enjoyed the stories in Ancient Egyptians by Sarah Quie (it is half myths and half non-fiction; we were underwhelmed by the non-fiction parts). We liked Padriac Colum's The Golden Fleece for Greek myths. Also Geraldine McCaughrean's two volumes of Greek myths (especially the one tied together with the story of Argos). We also read both Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey series and Rosemary Sutcliff's Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus.

#6 Shasta Mom

Shasta Mom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

I agree, Greene's Tales of Ancient Egypt is boring (yawn) and probably too advanced for that age....

#7 materursa

materursa

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

My dd8 loves Green's Robin Hood book, but, agrees with the above posters that the Tales of Ancient Egypt book was boring. We are currently reading The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt (not just about the pharaohs) by Elizabeth Payne and enjoying it. Also, Boy of the Pyramids By Ruth Fosdick Jones is a good storybook-type historical fiction. (You can find that one here.)

HTH,
Amanda

#8 jcooperetc

jcooperetc

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1772 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

We read Tales of Ancient Egypt when my son was 8 - he seemed to like it at the time and I just asked him about it and he remembered it and remembers liking it but it did kind of drag the 2nd half of the book. I don't think we finished it and the other books mentioned by other posters are as good or better and more at comprehension level.

#9 ChemMommy

ChemMommy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

I can't imagine using it with a grammar level child. Just my $0.02

#10 vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

We read this together while we were living at my parents after w elost our home in the flood. Our Egyptian history books were the only things to make it through the flood.
My daughter was 6 and a newly turned 7, my son also listended in. My daughter loved it. We did some discussion questions from it and she also used it to draw out pictures fro the story to show her brother and grandparents when they got home from work and so forth.
She just read it for fun a few weeks ago and still enjoyed it.
My daughter really loves to read though and retains info well form books.
You could always give it a try and switch and save for later if it is not working for you.
Good luck.

What's with the ads?