Menu

Do I need more than the textbook for R&S English 5?

lanabug

Agree. We've never used the worksheets. We have a couple sets of the tests, since they came with the text and teacher's manual when I ordered them from someone secondhand. They're useful if you want to use tests, but not necessary. The teacher's manual has the tests in the back, with the answers written in, if you wanted to see what they're like.

Erica in OR

I see there is a book of tests and a set of worksheets in addition to the main text and teacher's manual. Are those necessary, or can I get away with just ordering the textbook and teacher's manual?

Lana

The worksheets are completely optional. You do not need them.

Don't do the tests.

Just the student text and the teacher manual are all you need.

Oh, man, I love the worksheets. We dont' use the tests, but I usually teach the lesson, work through some of the exercises orally and then I send my dc off to complete the worksheet. Not every lesson has a worksheet, but I find it provides great practice.If you don't use the worksheets, do you just have your child do the exercises in the book? Orally or in writing? I often skip many of the book exercises b/c I know my child will have the practice through the worksheet. 

We use the worksheets and take the tests. If my son and I feel he already knows the material, he skims the student text, completes the worksheets on his own, then will take the test to wrap up the chapter. At one time we would sit down together on the couch, take turns reading the text, then he would answer the oral and written questions before he completed the appropriate worksheet. R & S English is a great mastery program, and he now has a great understanding of more grammar than I was ever taught. (I never made him complete written assignments, just answer the questions orally to me (while we cuddled on the couch!), but he always completed the worksheets.)

I've always bought the whole set. We barely ever touched the worksheets, and could have gotten the practice by taking exercises from old lessons if needed.

The tests however? I really, really liked that little test booklet. My kids were rather.... cocky, about their grammar skills. Then they'd get lousy grades on those tests, all because they didn't read the directions carefully. When I made them read and explain the directions to me they could get it nearly all correct. They really did know their grammar after using those books. But that occasional humility reminder from chapter tests was bloody well good for them. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

We only use the worksheets since we do the exercises in the book orally and then use the worksheets as supplemental practice.  But they aren't necessary as others have said.  Also you can get away with either just the TM or the student book.  The only difference between the two is the TM has answers in the margins, tells when a lesson has an extra worksheet and additional questions to ask at the beginning of a lesson.