Menu

Is there a way to keep track of salt intake?

creekland

As usual, been mentally working on cause of health issues and have noticed that things have been noticeably better with vastly increased salt in my diet, so would love to "play" with that concept testing it out more.

However, I'm getting stymied figuring out exactly how to do this... so much contains salt and I'm not really good at measuring/weighing portions, etc.  

I've come up with a fast food option (just eating at those places and using their figures), but I sure don't love that idea and it doesn't work easily with working at school.  Ditto with frozen meals.  (Mainly considering high salt options - low salt is easier, of course - cook at home from scratch or take low salt options to school.)

Water/fluid is a bit easier - salt I'm stymied with.  I've only been able to do general deals so far - like 'not much, more, lots,' etc, and while that's given me basic ideas, it's not as exact as I'd like.  I'm also not sure if I'm getting categories where they should be.

Thoughts?  Bonus points if they're healthier thoughts (aside from sodium).  

I prefer healthier foods, but at this point I'm trading that for feeling better.  There have been quite a few ham/dried beef or restaurant/take out foods in my life lately.  Simply adding salt to regular home cooked meals hasn't been sufficient, and there's only so much salt one can add before home cooked foods taste worse than their counterparts.  I also can't add more during cooking because hubby is more typical and needs less to keep his numbers in range.  It also doesn't help to eat one high salt meal and the others more typical.  The salt seems to be needed regularly throughout the day.

If I could figure out some sort of test I'd be able to find out IF it's real and not just coincidence and what line I need to get to in order to feel good, but not overdo it.  My limited testing has shown quite the intriguing correlation, so I just want more specific and hopefully some healthier options.

A lot of Asian foods tend to be healthy but higher in sodium. Their use of fish sauce, soy sauce, miso, etc. makes it salty without that salt overload tasted. My personal favorites are bibimbap (Korean), samgyupsal (Korean), pad Thai (Thai), drunken noodles (Thai), and pho (Vietnamese). I can make several of these at home pretty well too, so you don't necessarily have to eat out for them.

• Like 3

Fermented foods such as fresh sauerkraut and kimchi with live cultures are high in salt. Also, check the labels on anything you buy in a package, bread, cereal, pasta sauce, etc. and choose the brands that are highest in salt. Canned soups are sky high, but even good soups like Trader Joe's are high (except for the low sodium ones). 

If you are open to restaurant food and it sounds like you are, Panera Bread has really healthy stuff that is super high in sodium ALL of their soups are high sodium and most of their sandwiches. 

If you buy rotisserie chicken at the supermarket, check the sodium. It's often extremely high, like close to 40% of the daily intake for 3 oz. Most people eat at least double that. 

• Like 1

It also depends on what kind of salt. Sodium Chloride as "common" salt does not have a lot of minerals in it. Some health experts describe it as "denatured."

Have you tried "Real Salt?" http://www.vitacost.com/redmond-realsalt-natures-first-sea-salt-fine-salt-26-oz-4?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-018788102502&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=018788102502&gclid=CNWcr4SXosoCFVFffgoduKYIUg

Or Celtic Salt? http://www.vitacost.com/selina-naturally-celtic-sea-salt-fine-ground-1-lb-1?q=celtic+salt&ta=Celtic+salt

Either of these options have vital minerals left in the salt (evidently how salt ought to be in the first place). I sprinkle salt on everything from veggies to hard boiled eggs. You can also see if an increased consumption of Tamari / Soy sauce has benefits? Tamari sauce can go into any rice dish and seasons chicken and many other things.

• Like 1

Ketchup is high salt too.

How about using a calorie tracker like myfitness pal? You can track sodium as well as water.

Ketchup has a major problem in that it tastes horrid... :tongue_smilie:

The rest that's been listed give me more possibilities than I've been using, esp expanding upon soups when I'm home.  I'd already discovered that Campbell's Chicken Noodle is worthy, but it has next to nothing else (nutritious) with it.  Other soups ought to be better selections.

School will be the major problem as I don't always have access to a microwave with lunch, so often take a basic sandwich and fruit of some sort - nothing else (well, water to drink and a small chunk of dessert chocolate).  But if I up breakfast a ton, skipping (high salt) for lunch ought to be ok I think - or at least - I'll find out.  That's the goal, after all.  Well, that and not messing up anything else during the process of figuring it out.

It also depends on what kind of salt. Sodium Chloride as "common" salt does not have a lot of minerals in it. Some health experts describe it as "denatured."

Have you tried "Real Salt?" http://www.vitacost.com/redmond-realsalt-natures-first-sea-salt-fine-salt-26-oz-4?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-018788102502&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=018788102502&gclid=CNWcr4SXosoCFVFffgoduKYIUg

Or Celtic Salt? http://www.vitacost.com/selina-naturally-celtic-sea-salt-fine-ground-1-lb-1?q=celtic+salt&ta=Celtic+salt

Either of these options have vital minerals left in the salt (evidently how salt ought to be in the first place). I sprinkle salt on everything from veggies to hard boiled eggs. You can also see if an increased consumption of Tamari / Soy sauce has benefits? Tamari sauce can go into any rice dish and seasons chicken and many other things.

We use a salt with minerals in it.  As far as I know, no other mineral or element is an issue.  Na has been low in the past.  I've upped it and it has been in the low normal range lately - fixing problems then.  If these other issues are also Na related, low normal might not be high enough.

It'd all be weird though, as no google search matches what I've been feeling with low Na, nor do I get typical low Na symptoms.

However, I can't argue against what seems to have been happening (getting a higher salt intake lately with college boys home and visiting family).  It's worth playing with to see if it's real or coincidence.

• Like 1

Some other thoughts on seeing your lunch choices: anchovies and  herring in sour cream or wine sauce are both salt monsters, but especially anchovies. You could put anchovies on a sandwich or of course, pizza, which is also high sodium. Lunch meat is high sodium as well if you get it from the deli. Both are very highly nutritious foods otherwise. One 2 oz can of anchovies packs in over 1600 mg of sodium. 

• Like 1

You could try adding a bit of salt to your water in measured amounts. I recently found I do better with bottled water, and I have low blood pressure, dasani works better for me than Aquafini, it adds salt. You could add 1/2 tsp to each glass of water to start and see, or maybe a mix of salt and sugar if just salt tastes yucky.

• Like 1

My dd suffers from a chronic illness, and part of her treatment (along with meds, etc.) is to get at least 6-10g salt per day - 6,000-10,000mg - and drink 100-120 oz.  That is a LOT of salt!  When she was diagnosed over a year ago, we began increasing salty foods (bacon at breakfast, pretzels for snacks, etc.) and we made half of her fluid intake electrolyte drinks (Powerade, Propel, etc.), but we still weren't coming anywhere neat that number.  She tried salt pills, but they upset her stomach.  Last month someone suggested that she measure out 3tsp of salt in the morning (approx. 6000mg) and put it in a baggie or cup and try to empty it by the end of the day.  This is really helping!  We thought we were doing well before, but now we actually know how much she is getting.  The first few days were rough, and she was really balking at my suggestion to put it in her drinks, etc., but she is getting better at it now.  I even watched her salt her banana the other day (yuck!).  It's not something she would choose to do, but she'll do anything to feel better.

• Like 2

Seasoned sea weed is available in small packets perfect for lunches. 

Hmm, I'm now wondering if any store around me sells these.  I've never seen them.  Where would I look?

You could try adding a bit of salt to your water in measured amounts. I recently found I do better with bottled water, and I have low blood pressure, dasani works better for me than Aquafini, it adds salt. You could add 1/2 tsp to each glass of water to start and see, or maybe a mix of salt and sugar if just salt tastes yucky.

This is a good idea.  Adding salt won't taste horrid.  Adding sugar to it might.  ;)

I've actually been cutting back water some (carefully - avoiding dehydration, of course), but adding salt to it could have the same effect - all checking out what happens.

My guess is the salt works (if it does) by reducing swelling.  Adding water too defeats the purpose, BUT it's a guess until I get some solid things that happen every time. 

It's all been variable, so it's been really tough finding that common denominator of good vs bad (or in between), but there has to be one.  I just don't know if this is it or if my reasoning "why" fits.  If I manipulate a little bit of it all, it shouldn't take too long to tell.

• Like 1

but she'll do anything to feel better.

I've pretty much reached this point too, so it's ok if google doesn't show a connection.  I'm willing to try it.  I just want to try it in a way that gives me meaningful answers.  I like what you've done.  Thanks for sharing!  (I just counted out 20 pretzels to add to lunch to add another 20% to it!)

Overall, I haven't had a "bad" day since Dec 23/24 and have been trying to figure out what's been different.  It obviously isn't anything I previously thought it might be (motion/stress/etc).  One thing that changed drastically is my diet.  With family both here and visiting we've been eating out and eating comfort foods - pretty much ALL high salt.  Knowing salt was an unexpected issue before, it was worth trying.

The last couple of days when I was at school and switched back to my "normal," stuff started returning.  It can't be anything at school as it happens anywhere. It could be diet though - esp salt.  If I increase it while heading back this week...  Time will tell.

I'm not out much if I'm wrong.  It'd be nice having life back to normal as a regular pattern again if it works.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm now wondering if any store around me sells these.  I've never seen them.  Where would I look?

Our local Costco and Super WalMart both sell small packs of sea weed with nice seasoning. I've seen them at other grocery stores as well, but I didn't care for their seasoning (either too spicy or weird tasting). 

• Like 2

Asian grocery store for seaweed.

It might be water too--different municipalities add different things to their water.  More things change than you think about when you travel!  It could also be a combo of fat/salt, maybe you need both more fat and salt than you have been eating?  Bacon!!

• Like 1

Our local Costco and Super WalMart both sell small packs of sea weed with nice seasoning. I've seen them at other grocery stores as well, but I didn't care for their seasoning (either too spicy or weird tasting). 

I went to our local grocery store this afternoon and they didn't have anything like that or salt tablets.  It doesn't surprise me.  We're rural and typical tastes rule.  They sell what will sell.

I'll head into Wally World sometime later this week to see if they have anything different.

Asian grocery store for seaweed.

It might be water too--different municipalities add different things to their water.  More things change than you think about when you travel!  It could also be a combo of fat/salt, maybe you need both more fat and salt than you have been eating?  Bacon!!

Asian grocery store?   :lol:

Not water.  Half the "good" time we were here.

The only thing I can peg is that we ate out a ton - pretty much every meal.  Meals eaten here were special comfort food (high salt/fat) meals.  Therefore, more salt (and fat) will be a given, but I've no idea how much more.

Other times we've traveled, we've eaten in (cooked) and ate only some meals out.  I wish I could backtrack to figure out when we did what, but my memory isn't that good.

The only potential issue is that the 23/24th were pretty much as bad as it gets, but the boys and my mom were all here then.  We cooked a turkey the 22nd and had leftovers the 23rd.  It seems to me that should have adequate salt, but perhaps not.  I don't eat as much as the others.  Ham on Christmas should have been quite sufficient.  Literally pretty much everything thereafter (breakfast, lunch, supper) were out or super high salt comfort foods.

I don't worry about what I eat when visitors are here or we travel... it's when we're home on a regular schedule that we switch to more healthy than not.  

Now that we're back to normal I want to try a mix here at home and see if I notice any pattern.

Tonight is low salt (breakfast and lunch were much higher and all is well starting out).  Tomorrow I'll do my typical lower salt breakfast and lunch.  Tomorrow night I'll see if I feel differently than tonight.  I'm planning stuff like that - then varying it if I notice a difference to try to tell what is making that difference.  If there's a difference, it's short term - not long.  That makes it easier.  If tomorrow night feels fine, then I think my current brainstorm will be stopped in its tracks, but at least I'll know.

• Like 1

Another suggestion: V-8 juice has 20% of sodium for the day in one serving. It comes in separate cans, and the larger cans are I think 2 servings. Very portable for work and healthy. 

You and I have totally different tastes.  ;)  Anchovies, herring, & V8 all make ketchup sound superb.

We had salmon, peas, & pineapple for supper.  The only salt would have come from a little bit of tartar sauce.

Right now my body/brain is really craving salt - popcorn, chips, pretzels, saltines, or something.  I look at the bottle of water I was supposed to have with supper and it's both unopened and unappetizing.  Admittedly, it makes me wonder if my body is truly craving salt for a purpose or just addicted to it.   :glare:  I have no idea.

Next Monday school's having our wellness blood testing and a couple of days later I'll get updated Na numbers.  Does anyone know if that test is a specific point in time based upon that day or if it gives a reading from a more lengthy period of time.  It's a 12 hour fasting test, but is it measuring Na from the past 24 hours or longer?  Will what I eat on Sunday affect it?  Or will it measure what's been consumed over the past holiday period?

• Like 1

You might look at the water sources. Where do you get spring water, where softened, etc.

We have well water here, but it's high in nitrates, so we drink cheap bottled water for regular drinking water and just use the well water when needed for cooking.

When we travel I'm sure it's a variety of sources.  I've never noticed any pattern from any specific water.

Just to put it in its own post... if anyone knows the period of time for the blood sodium test, I'm all ears.  I can't find it anywhere on google.  They all say it tests Na levels, but not whether it's a snapshot of the past day or two or a cumulative look for a set time period.

At the moment, I'm wondering if Na is an issue (and perhaps I shouldn't cut it out looking at the consequences) or if it's more of an addiction I need to rid the body of (putting up with the consequences until they end).

Headaches are the known issue that will happen if I drop too low.  I have no desire to let that happen again.  But the rest?

Maybe I should let things continue as the body craves them until after next Monday's results and see if I get low/high/normal readings and go from there?  But will that be testing this weekend, this week, or the time with excess salt these past few weeks?

More puzzles. (sigh)

I'm giving up at this point and heading to bed.  Gotta get up to go to work tomorrow...

Here's a website with amounts of salt in various foods (and various salts).http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Minerals/Food-Sources-of-Sodium.aspx

If it's really just salt your body is craving (and not the carbs/fat/etc.), salt is the best source of salt. Who'd of thought?  :lol:  Then you know exactly how much you are putting in your body. What happens with it then is another matter. ;) 

• Like 1

Dill pickles are high in sodium if you like them. Meats can be salt encrusted before searing. So can fish. Sunflower seeds for snacking will add lots of sodium. Any and all soups. If you want healthier versions they can be homemade and you can add as much salt at you like to taste. Another way to raise your blood pressure is to lower your consumption of magnesium.

I am the exact opposite. I have high blood pressure and I am salt sensitive so I cut out a such sodium as possible. Bread is high in salt as well and brands can greatly vary.

• Like 1

At Fitday.com, you can enter what you eat (or plan to eat) and it will keep track of milligrams of salt in that food.  Don't know if this is helpful or not, but the site and an account is free. 

This sounds like a good plan.  I'll be at school in a little bit and ought to have a fair amount of computer time during testing again today (since I oversee the rooms being tested, not the students).  I should be able to sign up and figure it out.

Dill pickles are high in sodium if you like them. Meats can be salt encrusted before searing. So can fish. Sunflower seeds for snacking will add lots of sodium. Any and all soups. If you want healthier versions they can be homemade and you can add as much salt at you like to taste. Another way to raise your blood pressure is to lower your consumption of magnesium.

I am the exact opposite. I have high blood pressure and I am salt sensitive so I cut out a such sodium as possible. Bread is high in salt as well and brands can greatly vary.

I'm not a dill person, but the rest is good.

Hubby has high bp too (that he won't do anything about), so we try to keep our cooking low salt and most of our meals healthy.  I add extra to mine after it's on my plate.

This morning's breakfast was two overeasy fried (in olive oil) eggs with mushrooms & spinach.  Today I added a slice of Health Nut bread (toasted & buttered), but I don't usually.  Then I have a handful of cashews with vitamin and turmeric pills.  100% normal - 'cept when I'm not going to school I also add onions to the fried part.

I've been debating lunch, but have finally decided to keep it normal for today too.  It will be a PB&J multigrain thin and a banana.  However, just in case there's been too little salt... I'll toss in a baggie of pretzels for a snack.  They seem to have the most salt per serving of our snack foods.  (20%)

Then I'll see what tonight brings.  If nothing, I'm incorrect in my thoughts, but OTOH, if the issues don't reappear, that's still a positive.  I'll just be back to "who knows why this is a good period in my life?"

Prior to Christmas, bad days would come at least once or twice weekly - gradually building.  Good days would come after one or two bad ones (in a row).  Since the 23rd/24th there've been some "building" type of days, but no bad ones and several that have been downright good - better than any good day before with the pattern.  Hence, the desire to figure it out and keep whatever is necessary.  

• Like 1