Menu

allergies and my 11 year old...please help

kfeusse

both my son (11) and daughter (14) have allergies (ragweed)....on Thursday they started taking Zertec and using Flonase. The same day, my daughter started feeling a lot better, but my son, not so much.  I know that it can take a bit to get things started sometimes...but how long?  He is quite congested.  We are camping Monday- Thursday and I was really hoping to get him feeling better by then.   even using Sudefed during the day (with these other meds) isn't helping that much...a little bit but not that much.  He is feeling a bit better than he was...but not super good.  Any suggestions on what else I should do?  Should I be a bit more patient...or is this medicine just not going to work??

thanks.

You might try a different antihistamine.  Some people respond better to Allegra or Claritin than Zyrtec, but also know that it's not uncommon to get sinus infections that are secondary to allergies, so if the second antihistamine doesn't help, and/or he starts developing headaches or a fever, it's probably worth seeing a Dr.

• Like 2

Try the other antihistamines. DD and I prefer Claritin and my DS likes Zyrtec. Zyrtec does nothing for me while with Clairitin I can usually feel improvement within 20 minutes of taking it.. A coworker has tried several and has success with Allegra. 

Definitely consider a sinus infection if he's not feeling better soon.

Good luck figuring it out. 

The nasal corticosteroids make a huge difference for me, but can take several days to kick in. You could try using Mucinex to get the mucous to a manageable level and give the Flonase a clearer route for application. Allegra is more effective for me but it is almost too effective - I have to force fluids to combat excessive dryness.

We also choose to avoid watermelon in ragweed season, since it is a cross-reactive food.

Oh, as for the sudafed, it really depends which variety you're using. The one that's OTC does nothing for me, no relief at all. I have to get the good old fashioned one that they now keep behind the pharmacy counter. I don't know how it translates to the children's products.

Oh, as for the sudafed, it really depends which variety you're using. The one that's OTC does nothing for me, no relief at all. I have to get the good old fashioned one that they now keep behind the pharmacy counter. I don't know how it translates to the children's products.

The regular antihistamines don't help me either. I prefer Allegra-D. Claritin-D works best for two of my kids and one gets best results from Mucinex-D. 

My allergist said Flonase takes a week to be fully effective. It never did much for me.

He probably doesn't have a sinus infection if it's only been a few days. If he's had low level drainage or sniffles prior to this, it's definitely possible it's a sinus infection. Chronic sniffles or drainage--even without headache and thick discharge--can be symptoms of a sinus infection.

he has been congested for over a week.  

can he take the mucinex and still use the flonase and an antihistime too?  

besides alegra (which I think he tried last year with no help) and claritin, what other options are out there...just so I can know what I am looking for?  We are camping on Monday...and I plan to buy 2 different ones, so if one doesn't work, we can try something else. 

could it be the flonase that isn't working?  How can I know which of these 2 is not doing the job??

oh, just for record, he has been taking the "real" sudefed...not the PE version.   and that does next to nothing as well.  Isn't the "D" version of those meds listed above, just the med with sudefed?  So why would those work better than the plain med and a separate Sudefed?  Is the sudefed stronger to something??

Also, he has been taking those meds at bedtime....so he probably shouldn't take a different antihistime before bedtime, right??  

I just want to do anything I can for my guy...he is so miserable. 

thanks for your help.  I will be running someplace early this afternoon (after church and lunch).

If he's been congested for over a week and the meds you've tried haven't worked, and because he's 11, I vote for taking him to the doctor to check for a sinus infection and talk through these med options. Especially since you're combining three.  If it's a sinus infection, you can throw a lot of meds at it without getting anywhere. Better to find out up front.

If he's been congested for over a week and the meds you've tried haven't worked, and because he's 11, I vote for taking him to the doctor to check for a sinus infection and talk through these med options. Especially since you're combining three. If it's a sinus infection, you can throw a lot of meds at it without getting anywhere. Better to find out up front.

Agree. And if I may be totally upfront with you, I'd be thinking twice about a camping trip. Ragweed season is in full swing. I have kids whose allergic rhinitis can spiral downward into an asthma event. Or bronchitis, eventually requiring steroids and/or antibiotics. When they have a strong allergic reaction, such as what you're describing in your son, it's full out allergy protocol - sheets and all stuffed animals hot water washed, daily pillow case changes, showers every night, windows closed, air filter going in the bedrooms.

As for another med, singulair can be a game changer. However, there are some concerns about its side effects in adolescents. Something to talk to your doctor about. If he is coughing, it may be time for albuterol.

I called 3 pharmisists today...thinking I would get 3 different answers...and although part of their responses were different from each other...the one thing they all 3 said was to use a sinus rinse before using the flonase....because it sounded to them like the flonase might not be getting to where it needs to go to work...they said I could switch antihistimes, but he probably wouldn't get any more relief than with zertec until we were able to clean him out enough to use the flonase.  

But since he uses the meds at night, I was instructed to use the sinus rinse now, stay on sudefed...but most importantly use the sinus rinse right before he uses the flonase tonight...so we are going to try that.   He does seem some better this afternoon...but not a lot.  So time will tell.

thanks for all of your thoughts, ideas etc.  Really appreciate it.