Menu

Writing program for 7th grader

Last year we used WWS1 and it was a flop. I found it hard to teach and dd found it hard to understand what was being asked of her. So this year, I heard lots of good reviews for Wordsmith Apprentice. I looked at it and it seemed too easy for her so I thought I'd just buy the level up - Wordsmith. I got it from RR this week and it turn out, Wordsmith is a creative writing program, not the normal writing program that will teach her how to do reports and such.

Sigh.

Back to the drawing board.

I really am looking for something that is broken down into smaller chunks. A little bit like Easy Grammar, perhaps. Is there such a thing? I don't want to be spending more than an 30 minutes a day on this with her (though, if she needs to work longer independently, that is fine) and I need something straightforward and a bit more fun.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

My 7th grader is using Essentials in Writing.   It is definitely broken down into smaller chunks, "covers what needs to be covered", and is straightforward.  Many days there is a short video of the teacher teaching the concept (getting me out of the equation!) and then worksheets.   I think the website is essentialsinwriting.com.   There will be S&S and sample videos there.

I've been happy with it, it doesn't take more than 30 minutes a day.   We add other writing across the curriculum.

• Like 4

Jump In does the typical reports, essays, and such, and is broken into bite-size pieces. My DD really enjoyed that book in junior high, and was sad there weren't anymore levels.  It's in my strong consideration pile for my rising 7th grade DS.

• Like 1

Jump In does the typical reports, essays, and such, and is broken into bite-size pieces. My DD really enjoyed that book in junior high, and was sad there weren't anymore levels.  It's in my strong consideration pile for my rising 7th grade DS.

Perhaps it wasn't out when your dd finished Jump In, but Sharon Watson wrote high school level writing programs too: 

The Power in Your Hands (non-fiction writing)

and

Writing Fiction In High School

Links above are to CBD descriptions and have samples (no referral links!).

• Like 2

Perhaps it wasn't out when your dd finished Jump In, but Sharon Watson wrote high school level writing programs too: 

The Power in Your Hands (non-fiction writing)

and

Writing Fiction In High School

Links above are to CBD descriptions and have samples (no referral links!).

Ooh! I knew about the first one, but not the second. The same DD wants a novel writing elective this year and OYAN won't fit in the budget. Thanks! Off to look up the samples.... (ETA: Austen, Shelley, and Rowling were mentioned on the first two pages. That alone would sell DD. LOL)

• Like 1

Ooh! I knew about the first one, but not the second. The same DD wants a novel writing elective this year and OYAN won't fit in the budget. Thanks! Off to look up the samples.... (ETA: Austen, Shelley, and Rowling were mentioned on the first two pages. That alone would sell DD. LOL)

YVW!

Also check Amazon and Rainbow Resource for samples. Not sure if the author's site (linked above) has samples or not. 

• Like 1

ANother one starting EIW for 7th grade :)  I like what I've scene so far.  I've got all the pages printed out in a binder, and I've watched about 1/2 of the DVD instruction.  So far, I think this is a big step above Hake that we used last year, and will provide what I needed and what my DD needs in a writing program!  I especially like all the diagrams and organizers for writing!  We are supplementing w/ Killgallon, and will do some Writing and Rhetoric for fun, too. 

• Like 2

We did Lively Art of Writing with the workbook in 7th grade. It was perfect.

We're going to do a couple of Bravewriter classes this year - Kidswrite Intermediate and Expository Essay, which are based on the Help for High School curriculum.  Along with other homegrown stuff.

And I would be remiss if I didn't plug my favorite rhetoric book for this age group:  Writing With a Thesis. http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Thesis-Sarah-E-Skwire/dp/142829001X

• Like 3

And I would be remiss if I didn't plug my favorite rhetoric book for this age group:  Writing With a Thesis. http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Thesis-Sarah-E-Skwire/dp/142829001X

Thanks for the suggestions! Does it matter which edition of Writing With a Thesis or is the one you linked to the particular one you recommend?

All your problems will be solved by School Composition and Writing in English, two vintage writing books by William Henry Maxwell. They are available free from Google Books or as inexpensive reprints from Amazon. They provide excellent instruction in writing forms, stylistic help, and grammar. We switched to these book after WWS was a complete flop here, and we have never looked back. They are easy to implement, comprehensive, and interesting. Look no further!

• Like 2