Menu

What are your 8th graders doing for writing next school year?

I have decided to sign ds12.5 up for Attuneup Essay Practitioners. However, I just learned from another post that it is not offered this fall. Now I am back to researching, Has anyone had experience with The Potter's School online writing for 8th grade?

What is your 8th grader going to do for writing in the fall?

• Like 2

For Rhetoric study, we're going to finish up  Writing With a Thesis.  We may follow that up with the Bravewriter Expository Essay class.  Or we may get started with They Say/I Say.

As far as content-based writing, we're still working on Movies With Literature and associated essays. Not sure what writing will look like in history/science but there will definitely be a reading log and associated essays.

For creative writing, we have the TC course Writing Great Fiction, and some screenwriting resources.

• Like 1

My 7th grader has done a mishmash- she did WWS1 in 5th-6th, and then used WWS2 in the beginning of 7th. I felt that she gained a lot of skills and understanding, but she was getting frustrated and it was a bit repetitive, so we moved to IEW's Windows to the World (Literary Analysis) in the second half of the year, and it's been great. It's a big leap forward, but good. Next year she'll be doing the Elegant Essay and Introduction to Literary Analysis http://everyday-education.com/product/introduction-literature-english-1/

• Like 1

My 8th grader is going to be doing 3-level outlines, rewrites and WTM-style literary essays. I think I will also have him do a couple chapters of WWS 2 (the citing sources and intros & conclusions ones) and after that we're going to "play" with essays before we start writing formal essays in 9th.

• Like 2

I have decided to sign ds12.5 up for Attuneup Essay Practitioners. However, I just learned from another post that it is not offered this fall. Now I am back to researching, Has anyone had experience with The Potter's School online writing for 8th grade?

What is your 8th grader going to do for writing in the fall?

We were planning on Attune Up also. We WILL take it in the Spring when it is re-offered, but for the fall, my rising 8th grader will be taking Fiction Writing at Online G3, which is a one semester course.

Birchbark,

How much time did ds spend each day? I am leaning towards TPS writing. What is his next writing class?

He worked on writing assignments for about 1-2 hrs. a couple times a week. The class met once a week for 1-1/2 hrs. 

We chose not to continue with TPS writing in high school for reasons discussed in this thread. We are giving Wilson Hill Academy a try next year. DS is enrolled in their Honors Composition class.

We did love the Narnia class though, and I would certainly do it again with my youngers.

• Like 1

Mine will just continue practicing writing. She does a paragraph or two per day for history or a short DBQ and every few weeks she'll write a short literary analysis essay for English.

I will also have her go through "They say, I say" because so far she's only approached writing from a perspective of writing her thesis and proving it rather than writing in a larger context of an academic conversation.

We were planning on Attune Up also. We WILL take it in the Spring when it is re-offered, but for the fall, my rising 8th grader will be taking Fiction Writing at Online G3, which is a one semester course.

I wonder if my ds will like Fiction Writing G3. I sent you his unfinished novel he wrote two years ago. Will this class challenge him, will it be too easy? Creative writing seems natural to him considering he wrote that 50 page long story with good chapter ending for each chapter, decent dialogs, and somewhat good character development. What do you think? I would like to give him an easy semester and also sign him up for the spring Attune up essay classes. After that he will be a more serious high school writing student.
  • Like 1

SparklyUnicorn and foofoobunny, which IEW program are you each going to use for 8th?

I talked to one of the ladies from the company, and she told me to start with SIW-B because my daughter has no previous experience with IEW format (she did WWS). She linked me to a page to "ramp" it up for her if needed.

I wonder if my ds will like Fiction Writing G3. I sent you his unfinished novel he wrote two years ago. Will this class challenge him, will it be too easy? Creative writing seems natural to him considering he wrote that 50 page long story with good chapter ending for each chapter, decent dialogs, and somewhat good character development. What do you think? I would like to give him an easy semester and also sign him up for the spring Attune up essay classes. After that he will be a more serious high school writing student.

I think, like any writing class, the student can grow from where he or she is, regardless of whether the student is more or less advanced than his/her peers. That's just a guess, though. My suggestion would be to email the professor and ask for thoughts. I think everyone will be at different levels.

• Like 1