Menu

Low IQ and dyslexia?

Have you ladies examined SRA's Corrective Reading Program? It has been recommended on this forum before.  A local friend started using it this year with her 10th grade DD and loves it.

Yeah, something like that is definitely in our future.  The writing is just on the wall.  What I'm actually thinking, if it turns out to be appropriate or fit him, is the BJU reading.  They're insanely careful about things, taking lots of care to explore inferences, character development, etc.  I think it will take that with him.  Whether the BJU reading (which gagged dd with overkill) will be enough or whatever he needs something more typically used for intervention, don't know.  When I flip out in a year and ask for something, remind me.  :D  

• Like 1

Oh, now would be a good time to give the disclaimers.  The Barton pre-test is NOT a dyslexia test and passing it does NOT tell you anything about DSM labels, the presence of LDs, etc.  It's only a test for the most rudimentary levels of phonological processing and working memory and student needs in order to go into Barton 1 successfully.  So *failing* it tells you skills are absent, but doesn't tell you the cause.  Passing it merely tells you he has those skills and can proceed.  It does not mean a child is not dyslexic or does not have other issues.

Oh, now would be a good time to give the disclaimers. The Barton pre-test is NOT a dyslexia test and passing it does NOT tell you anything about DSM labels, the presence of LDs, etc. It's only a test for the most rudimentary levels of phonological processing and working memory and student needs in order to go into Barton 1 successfully. So *failing* it tells you skills are absent, but doesn't tell you the cause. Passing it merely tells you he has those skills and can proceed. It does not mean a child is not dyslexic or does not have other issues.

Oh I know. :)

I'm not even going to seek a diagnosis. Just work with him.

• Like 1

I did not get the minecraft stuff! All of our devices and games came from family.

I'm just the witch who says no.

Ds really does so MUCH better when he's device free, but I have a hard time staying consistent, especially since they're great occasional motivators. That and the darn winter. It's been way too cold to play outside for more than 15 minutes at a time.

In March we all take a device break and then things will be generally peaceful and like an idiot I think a weekly movie or device as rewards is ok and everything spirals out of control again.

• Like 1

Yes, we had our kids tested about the same time by audiologists.  Ds doesn't have any hearing loss, so in his case it's just the dyslexia.  It will be interesting to see what happens with your dd when they get her hearing interventions done.  Might be they'll retest and find she indeed has some language processing issues *on top* of the hearing?  And yes, I think that's what ds is doing, that he just pieces it together as he gets more info.

It would be amazing if treating the hearing loss solved all of DD's challenges, but my gut is telling me that there's more going on than just the physical disability. Her issues started while her hearing was still within the normal range (and I do think that 2011 audiology exam was accurate for a number of reasons). I'm going to see what Kennedy Krieger finds and go from there.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if you've already answered this.

When the school system tested DS they told us they were sorry but he simply had a low IQ, mid 70s.  We didn't feel this was the full picture.

We saw a private neuropsych who did testing and evaluation and got a MUCH clearer picture.

His IQ was normal.  He is profoundly dyslexic.  His working memory is exceptionally low.  The school had zero idea how to properly assess his brain and  tease apart his disabilities from his functioning and intelligence.

• Like 1

AAS slowed down is not Barton (or Wilson, or any other OG program).  It may be enough for your kid though.  Give it a try since it is what you have, just keep your eyes open for "resistance."  With these kids, it is sadly easier for them to pitch a fit and emotionally cripple the entire room than to politely convince an exhausted mom who just-retaught-this-for-the-zillionth-time that they truly can't remember what ild says.  

Isn't it? How does one find out?

They say on their site that they incorporate Orton-Gillingham (http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/orton-gillingham-approach). I know anyone can say they are based on something, but I saw AAS recommended on both "Autistic Resources" and "Dyslexic Resources" type pages, and they referred to it as an OG approach, which is why I bought it for my daughter.

We just found out a few months ago, though, that she has dyslexia, dysgraphia, and level 1 Autism.  (And next to no working memory, though apparently great long-term memory!)  So, we are quite new to the LD label, and haven't gone far in AAS yet, so I can't say how it's working.

AAS is based off of O-G but it's designed for neurotypical kids. Some kids with milder LD's may be able to use it successfully, but it wasn't written as an intervention program like Barton, Wilson, Slingerland, Shelton, etc. were

I already have levels 1-5 of AAS so it would be great if I could figure out a way to adapt it to use with my SN child. It's entirely possibly that I might if I can figure out a way to get her over the initial hump of phonological awareness using LiPS and Cued Speech. It's hard right now to tell whether the reading struggles reflect an underlying dyslexia diagnosis or whether it's just the hearing impairment + the mixed expressive-receptive language delay.

I think in a while back it came out that Rippel (of AAS/AAR) has significant OG training and teaches at a college as well, so that understanding is definitely woven into it.  However, as someone who used SWR for years, AAS 1-6 after VT, and now Barton, I can tell you the things Barton brings to the table I wouldn't want to be without.  Barton brings the extras I need to teach my dyslexic son.  Not even a close call on that.  I still own all my AAS 1-6, and I'm spending $300 (plus shipping plus...) for Barton.  It's worth it.

Is it possible to have dyslexia with a lower IQ?

I know this has been answered already.  Years ago, I helped* my dyslexic husband write a paper on dyslexia for one of his college courses.  One thing that stood out to me was that dyslexia is an equal opportunity learning disorder, but it's easiest to identify in bright or gifted students. That's because the major tip-off that a student might have it is that they get a reading score at least two standard deviations below their other scores, or two standard deviations below their grade level.

It often takes an expert to make the diagnosis if the gap isn't that wide.

*(He wrote it, but I helped him read through all the sources he'd found to weed out the stuff not relevant to his topic, to cut down how much he'd have to read.  These days, I think a student can get that sort of help written into their educational accommodations plan, but I don't think they even had such plans back then.)

Yes, it is very possible for a student with a lower IQ to also be dyslexic. I would think it would be hard to tease the disabilities apart, though, so you would need a really good diagnostician to help with that.

When I taught in public schools, I had a couple of students who had low IQs, but after I used the OG approach with them for 3 years, their IQs jumped over 20 points. They really had language disabilities that were pulling down their IQs. Where I taught, the school system simply didn't go into enough detail with their diagnoses.

This. My son was tested a few years ago and was diagnosed with dyslexia and his IQ as 74. We have completed 8 levels of Barton's and he is doing amazing. I really think his score of 74 was due his language disability making the score lower. I'd love to have him retested to see what his IQ would be scored as now.

• Like 5

Is it possible to break down AAS? I already own it and Barton is not po$$ible. I do completely understand the "investment in the future" theory, but I can't afford to invest. The money is just not there. I can't pull from other accounts or anything like that. My income is so low that our YMCA family membership for a YEAR is $25.

I just wanted to jump in here...   I have a friend who has had very good success getting in touch with Susan Barton herself.  She (Barton) has been exceptionally helpful to my friend who has a daughter with multiple special needs.

You might try directly contacting her and ask her any questions you have. Here is the website:  http://www.dys-add.com/

• Like 1

This. My son was tested a few years ago and was diagnosed with dyslexia and his IQ as 74. We have completed 8 levels of Barton's and he is doing amazing. I really think his score of 74 was due his language disability making the score lower. I'd love to have him retested to see what his IQ would be scored as now.

:party:   :party:

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke with Susan from Barton. It sounds like Barton is not appropriate for ds. It's way too language heavy. Way, way, way too much oral language. Even if he knew the why behind something, he couldn't express it and it would frustrate him.

Maybe down the road I'll look at it again.

He got a 90 on his first CLE spelling test (spelled till instead of tell). At the end of the month I'm going to attempt more writing and see where he's at as far as spelling and content.

He still does not fully grasp using capitals at the beginning of a sentence, but he also writes letters inconsistently so it's hard to tell. He almost exclusively writes (when writing print) uppercase B and D regardless of where the letter is.

I'm also going to find a new SLP and insist on gap filling and not splintering him even more by focusing on grade level skills.

I want to find an SLP that can skype/FaceTime with him and give me an idea of his overall language abilities with age/grade.

My daughter also writes certain letters uppercase.    I admit, I just let her run with it.    Her writing is unorthodox, but it was getting to the point that my reminders were taking away her joy of writing (she writes a lot of stories and makes lots of lists).

I do remind about the capital letter at the beginning of sentences and also proper nouns  when we're actually sitting down doing lessons-- which she still isn't consistent with.