Menu

Bosch universal, bosch compact or kitchen aid?

Bensmom

Can you tell me which mixer you use and what you like/dislike about it?

I am thinking the universal is more machine than I need? We are a family of three and I expect it to be used often, but for making small batches of bread (and cookies). Also, can anyone comment on the bosch blender attachment? Would the attachment be a good investment or am I better off with say a kitchenaid mixer and vitamix?

We have the Bosch Universal. It's an awesome workhorse. We use it for making multiple loaves of bread or cookies at a time. (Family of 9) It can hold a ton of flour. I wouldn't think you would need it for smaller batches of stuff. For that we use a blendtec or a stick mixer or just plain old fashioned elbow grease. I think unless you are baking for crowds, it might be more than you need. I'd recommend a Blendtec over a Vitamix. No need to stir in the middle of a cycle and easier to figure out which cycle/time to use. Also it comes with a cookbook that we use all the time.

I have both a Bosch Universal, a Kitchen aid Artisan, and a vitamix.  I have been in the Bosch vs. Kitchen aid dilemma for a while.  I went back and forth, Actually bought and sold the Bosch 3 times.  I finally realized that the Bosch is just superior, if you're going to make bread at all the Bosch is so much better at it.  I even had a Kitchen aid Pro model and the bread dough just never was a good as the bread dough the Bosch makes up.  With the Bosch I can literally just dump the stuff in turn it on and walk away for 6 minutes and come back to perfectly kneaded dough.  The Bosch blender attachment is decent, and I would rather have a Bosch with it than just the KA and a Vitamix.  I did that and it as ok, but I'd give up a little in the blender area to get a better mixer.  I'm not sure what is meant by "you don't need to stir in the middle of a cycle" in the post above.  I don't have to stir anything in my Vitamix.  I turn it on low, ramp up the dial to 10 flip it to high and boom perfectly pureed whatever I'm making. 

ETA: we're a family of 5.  I make and freeze bread/pizza crust dough 1-2 time a week, on top of the usual cookies, muffins, etc.

Can you tell me which mixer you use and what you like/dislike about it?

I am thinking the universal is more machine than I need? We are a family of three and I expect it to be used often, but for making small batches of bread (and cookies). Also, can anyone comment on the bosch blender attachment? Would the attachment be a good investment or am I better off with say a kitchenaid mixer and vitamix?

Love my Bosch Universal (only four people in my family). It's over 25 years old and still going strong. I make four loaves of 100% whole wheat bread and the Bosch doesn't flinch. I have also made just two loaves and it worked fine. :-) And I make cookies and cakes and other stuff, too. The only thing I don't do is whip cream--I use my hand mixer for that. :-)

I have the blender attachment; it does everything I need it to do. I also have the food processor attachment, and have been happy with that, as well.

I have both a Bosch Universal, a Kitchen aid Artisan, and a vitamix.  I have been in the Bosch vs. Kitchen aid dilemma for a while.  I went back and forth, Actually bought and sold the Bosch 3 times.  I finally realized that the Bosch is just superior, if you're going to make bread at all the Bosch is so much better at it.  I even had a Kitchen aid Pro model and the bread dough just never was a good as the bread dough the Bosch makes up.  With the Bosch I can literally just dump the stuff in turn it on and walk away for 6 minutes and come back to perfectly kneaded dough.  The Bosch blender attachment is decent, and I would rather have a Bosch with it than just the KA and a Vitamix.  I did that and it as ok, but I'd give up a little in the blender area to get a better mixer.  I'm not sure what is meant by "you don't need to stir in the middle of a cycle" in the post above.  I don't have to stir anything in my Vitamix.  I turn it on low, ramp up the dial to 10 flip it to high and boom perfectly pureed whatever I'm making. 

ETA: we're a family of 5.  I make and freeze bread/pizza crust dough 1-2 time a week, on top of the usual cookies, muffins, etc.

:iagree:  I gave our kitchen aid away after getting our bosch.  I do have a vitamin though and prefer it over the bosch blender.

I have both a Kitchen Aid and a Bosch universal (old style).  The KA lives on my counter.  But the Bosch comes out for bread.  The only blender I have is the one on the bosch, so again, it comes out then.

For everything but bread, the KA works great.  It takes up less room on the counter.  I got the bosch b/c when I make bread, I make 3-5 loaves at once.  The capacity of that bowl is wonderful!  The KA will only hold enough for 2 loaves.

I suggest not getting the blender attachment for the Bosch.  Sometimes I (or my kids) wouldn't put the base of the blender on correctly and it would seep liquid into the base which is just above the motor.  Otherwise, I love my Bosch.  I make 5 loaves of bread at a time.  I found out also that if you put the cookie attachment on, you can shred cooked chicken in 30 seconds.  Saying that though, for a smaller family, it's a big capacity machine that you may find to be too much.

Beth

I have the KA artisan and I'm coveting the vitamix. I've had the KA for 6 or 7 years now. I have a family of four. I only make about half of our breads and desserts. I use the mixer a couple times a week for bread, pizza dough, meatloaf, whipped cream, shredding meats, cookies, merengue, pies, even for a cake mix. We're not big eaters, and my freezer is small, so I usually only make one batch of anything . . . sometimes two. This mixer meets my needs. If I kill it I might get something more powerful, but I find th size just prefect for us and would hate to go larger. I love the tilting head.