Menu

Reheating turkey for a crowd

Carrie12345

Well, 4 adults and 6 kids, plus inviting staff to partake.

We're doing a Hotel Thanksgiving this year.  Our suites have fairly nice kitchens, but no ovens.  (Microwave, stove top, toaster oven, fridge, dishwasher, coffee pot.) We're taking over the breakfast dining area for dinner, and outlets will be available.

I'm making the turkey on Wednesday and carving it up at home.  I want to reheat it in a big crockpot on Thursday.

Now I'm just trying to decide exactly HOW to do it.  I was going to just put the gravy in there, but maybe some people don't want a lot of gravy.  Would some stock on the bottom be better?  I'm guessing it would really dry out if I just lined it with a layer of vegetables?

I thought I was doing a good thing when I rejected my mother's idea of just getting deli sliced turkey, but now I'm having doubts!

Hm.  What I might do instead is to get some turkey breasts.  Usually they do come with the bone, but you could cut them off the bone.  Then cook them in the crock pot.  Reheating the meat in that way...I just wonder if it would be way too dry.

The only other idea is to not cook the turkey all the way through.  Carve it.  Finish it off in the crock pot.

I've never tried any of that so it's hard to say. 

I've done something similar for our church Thanksgiving lunch. Slice and warm it up in the crockpot with some hot low sodium chicken or turkey stock. Be mindful because you don't want to cook it further. The turkey was juicy and I received a lot of compliments. Actually, this method also works if the turkey is overcooked and too dry.

Do not partially cook poultry and plan to finish it later.

It can promote bacterial growth.

Cook thoroughly, refrigerate, then reheat when needed.

I'd cook and cool. Then slice the next day when it is cold, because slices stay together nicely. Then, heat broth, put some of it in the bottom of crockpot, layer the turkey, broth, turkey, broth. Heat with lid on.

I've done this in roaster pans and then heated through in the oven.

Have you checked with the hotel about using the breakfast room? This summer we were in a hotel when we traveled for ds23's wedding.  This was an expensive hotel and we had a lot of rooms for several days -- some almost a week.  On the day after the wedding, people were leaving, and we provided lunch for everyone before they took off.  We planned to have a picnic, but it was pouring so we moved into the breakfast room of the hotel.  About halfway through the meal, a manager came over and rather rudely told us that the area was closed.  I told her that we'd planned to be outside, could we please finish, we'd clean everything up, etc., and she did agree to let us stay.

I never would have considered that this would be an issue -- I always thought of the breakfast room as a public space anyone could use.  

Have you checked with the hotel about using the breakfast room? This summer we were in a hotel when we traveled for ds23's wedding.  This was an expensive hotel and we had a lot of rooms for several days -- some almost a week.  On the day after the wedding, people were leaving, and we provided lunch for everyone before they took off.  We planned to have a picnic, but it was pouring so we moved into the breakfast room of the hotel.  About halfway through the meal, a manager came over and rather rudely told us that the area was closed.  I told her that we'd planned to be outside, could we please finish, we'd clean everything up, etc., and she did agree to let us stay.

I never would have considered that this would be an issue -- I always thought of the breakfast room as a public space anyone could use.  

I don't know if my mom has specifically checked with them, but we've done it before in this hotel, just not on Turkey Day.  The entire staff was sweet, coming over to see if we needed anything and some taking us up on our offers to take plates.

If worse came to worse, our suite would work fine. It just wouldn't be quite as comfortable.

(And reminds me that I meant to put stain remover on my packing list in case of any cranberry accidents!)