Menu

Dyslexia and Coping Strategies that Hinder Learning to Read

I do not plan to buy high noon 2 right away. :)

I am looking at a few of the vision therapy workbooks and a couple of other things I think he will benefit from. He love the book and is just eating them up and begging for more. I am going to buy a couple more sets. He is also reading the lowest level kids national geographic magazines and a few books I have around the house. I have told him I plan to try and get through as much of High Noon as possible this summer (well, what's left of it) and then in the fall he will spend an hour or so a day reading real books. He has a friend who is a year above him and also dyslexic, he worked through the magic tree house books last year so DS is excited to do them as well in 5th grade. 

And he wants to read Hank the Cowdog.  :tongue_smilie:

Prolonged reading of smaller text is very hard still. Even after vision therapy. So once he is really reading he is going to get a Kindle DX so he can make the text larger.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the success with High Noon!

Could you share where you began/what you ordered?  I've looked into it before (for my DD who uses Dancing Bears) but am not quite sure what I would order...

BTW, I totally understand having to break the "I can't read" habit.  DD has gotten into her head that she cannot read (though she reads at a low-to-mid first grade level right now).  

I get so confused when on the High Noon website. When people talk about doing the High Noon program, what are they using? The leveled readers? The reading fluency books? Something else? What exactly is the program?

Whew! Thank you-- I was beginning to think I was missing something obvious!

I did find the Phonics Reading lessons; perhaps that's what QGotD used? (It's the only thing I can find that has lessons?) ETA:  Also found the High Noon Reading Intervention program.  But it appears to be for children already reading some?  I'd also like to know what people are starting with...

We used the Reading Intervention program plus the Sound Out Chapter Books.  Primarily.   This:  "Also found the High Noon Reading Intervention program."  Teacher, student and student workbook.    and 

8125-8

Sound Out Chapter Books - Set A-1 Click Here

Well, I had all the sets, but that is the first one. 

"But it appears to be for children already reading some?  "  The intervention program starts with letters and letter sounds. We started right at the beginning. If your child is already reading some, you could start where they are.  The first set of chapter books starts several lessons in--8? 12? cannot recall--once the words for that level have been covered by the Intervention Program.

The Phonics program is sold by HN, but is an older, 1030's? 1950's ? program, that did not , repeat, not at all, no, no, no, not, work for my ds. The things we used that worked are published by HN and are modern and based on current research into reading. If I recall correctly, I talked to QGotD about what we did over the phone--unless I am thinking of someone else and got confused on who is who-- and she likely got similar, but hopefully will reply herself.

I had a few extra components, such as a fluency book, a workbook to go with one of the Sound Out Chapter Book sets and so on.I was feeling pretty desperate and overbought, hence having tried the old Phonics program that my ds hated and which had print and page layout that was not suited to his dyslexia. My ds did not have a comprehension problem...if there were, I might have gotten the books for that. Spelling might have been a good idea, but I didn't get those.  The one fluency book was helpful, but mainly we worked on fluency within the Reading Intervention Program materials. The Workbook was fun, but I decided that my ds did not need more of them. Everything we had was paper based--they did not yet have the computer versions.

I used:

http://www.highnoonbooks.com/detailHNB.tpl?action=search&cart=1406831353230311&eqskudatarq=S8271-8&eqTitledatarq=High%20Noon%20Reading-Level%201&eqvendordatarq=ATP&bobby=%5Bbobby%5D&bob=%5Bbob%5D&TBL=[tbl]

I bought

http://www.highnoonbooks.com/listHNB-Phonics.tpl?action=search&cart=1406831353230311&cattrack=Phonicsatoc&xHNBCATEGORY=Sound%20Out%20Chapter%20Books&xHNBSUBCATEGORY=PhonicsAtoC&bobx=1st%20Grade%20Phonics-Based&eqGROUPdatarq=item

for him to practice on. 

He can read every set A book :). I also bought the work book for each set and we are taking a break from high noon to work on the workbook for the readers. DS LOVES the books. The font is large enough not to give him any issues and and the stories hold his interest. The workbook has activities that range from easy for him to really challenging for him. I love it. He struggles with putting the words into the correct order for sentences. I cut up note cards and wrote a word on each. He moves them around and can usually do 3 out of the 5 without too much trouble. I have to help with the the others. But challenge is good!

Oh, each book in the workbook has a timed reading section. Last week I timed him at 66 WPM, today was 72 WPM!

I just bought level B readers and http://www.highnoonbooks.com/detailHNB.tpl?action=search&cart=1406831353230311&eqskudatarq=8310-2&eqTitledatarq=High%20Noon%20Spelling%20Levels%20A%2C%20B%2C%20C%20and%20D&eqvendordatarq=ATP&bobby=%5Bbobby%5D&bob=%5Bbob%5D&TBL=[tbl] for added work on spelling.