Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week three

Robin M

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read We Need to Talk About Kevin last month. It was the darkest book I have ever read and it was the most powerful. The characters nudged their way deep into my being like no other book has done before. I carry that book inside of me and I wonder if it will always be that way--this is not necessarily a good thing.

Thanks for your take on this book. You gave voice to what I've "known" since I began reading it. I can sense that I, too, will carry this with me, and I agree that it's not necessarily a good thing. Honestly, I almost wish I could just walk away and read no further. But, something within feels that it is something I need to read. Not because I have anyone in my life whom I suspect is troubled at this level, but for some other reason which I do not yet know. That probably sounds a little nuts, but it's the truth. I want to stop, but feel weirdly compelled to continue.

I had no idea that was a book. It is my dh's favorite movie. Oh, how many times have I suffered through it? Have you seen the movie? My dh even named one of our dogs after Carmen.

I think I'll pass reading the book. The movie was enough trauma for me. :rofl:

The movie was cheesy and hardly like the book!

I read We Need to Talk About Kevin last month. It was the darkest book I have ever read and it was the most powerful. The characters nudged their way deep into my being like no other book has done before. I carry that book inside of me and I wonder if it will always be that way--this is not necessarily a good thing.

Hmm...I have this book on my To Read list. Now I am rethinking this. Is it a good book that is also very dark and powerful? Or is it just dark and powerful (not sure if I'm making sense). Trying to figure out whether to read this or not.

I heard and read quite a bit about this book last year. Something kept telling me it would be too dark and/or disturbing so I kept putting off reading it. Now I'm sure it's not for me.

Good night dear hearts! Just a reminder that Week 4"'s thread will be posted Sunday morning around 10:00 pst for all those who like to know the schedule and are anxious to talk about your books for the week. It's usually easier to wait and post in the new thread on Sunday, rather than post in the old thread because then you'll just end up posting twice. Once the new thread is up, please continue the conversation in the new thread. I'll post a heads up in the status updates when we go live. Happy reading!