Menu

Looking for a text to balance out Hakim's volume 10..**Conservatives only please**

We're doing 20th century American History this year (7th grade) and have been using A History of US. While volume 9 was mostly terrific (treatment of F.D.R was a bit worshipful), the 2nd half of volume 10 is becoming intolerable.

I'm looking for a text to even out Hakim's liberal bias obvious in the last book.

FYI - her treatment of communism and Reagan are awful. How many millions were starved to death in Russian gulags? Bueller? Not a word mentioned on this topic but copious pages devoted to what a filthy liar McCarthy was (yes, he was). Conservative might be surprised to learn that the defining characteristic, in fact the only characteristic, of conservatism is to have "unrestrained capitalism". The subtitle to this book should be "Lord, Save Us from Well Intentioned Liberals."

I'd like to continue using Hakim's book (I'm a masochist), but I'd like add another viewpoint. Any suggestions?

That's why John Holzmann wrote his notes on Hakim for Sonlight Core 100. Since you're already up to the 10th book you probably don't want to buy the IG, but maybe you can get a SL friend to loan you the notes.

I could use the Sonlight notes, but was hoping for a book in a narrative style.

For a mature child you could add in some novels that point out some of what you would like: 1984, A Day in the life if Ivan Denisovich, and so forth. Sometimes fiction is a good anti-dote for problems such as you describe.

I do not recommend the Sonlight notes unless you can get them for free. I had heard the same thing and got the IG for that year cheaply only to find they were horrible. You will be better off reading with your child and talking over some of those errors.

Mr. Holzman let a lot of things just slip by him and in other things he didn't know his history as well as Hakim. I once made a list of bunch of errors in his commentary (although to be honest I found for the most part he just missed stuff totally) with the idea of writing something up but never got around to finishing.

Here's but one example from the Civil War volume, he says this when Hakim mentions the supply ship being shot upon while trying to supply Ft. Sumter:

Ms. Hakim’s summary paragraph is amazingly inaccurate. We have already covered most of the issues.

Suffice it to say that 1) there was no threat of starving out the federal troops; 2) the supply ships (there was not just one “ship†as Ms. Hakim suggests!) never made it into Charleston Harbor, so that 3) they were never fired upon; . . . .

Unfortunately he relies on only two pro-South sources which might be okay if he knew anything about the Civil War. Here's two links about the one ship that did make it to the harbor and was indeed fired upon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_the_West and http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/battle-fort-sumter.htm Southerners would be properly horrified to know that this incident was totally denied by Mr. Holzman (as would any decent Civil War historian).

:lurk5:

I was JUST looking at Hakim at library yesterday for next yr (7th grade) and getting scared because I don't know history well enough to provide a good counterpoint. I'm glad to know the SL commentary isn't worth it, thanks!

I'm considering just going w/ the BJU 8 so I don't have to worry about it, but the Hakim books look great! Hope you get more answers!

Doesn't TOG use the Hakim books? Any TOG users care to share what those notes & commentary are like?

My only experience with Hakim was when I bought a partial set my B&N had. I brought it home and looked up identical dates/events side by side with a couple Guerber books. I too, was shocked to see just how much was completely left out in her books. The Hakim books went right back to B&N.

A good book to counter it that you might be able to find at the library is 48 Liberal Lies About American History (That You Probably Learned in School) by Larry Schweikart. Another of his books, A Patriot's History of the United States, makes for a great high school history text.

My logic aged kids have read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Animal Farm and The Endless Steppe.

I plan for them to read Red Scarf Girl and Mig Pilot.

We do a lot of kitchen table talking about history and politics.

My husband drew up a unit study on the Cold War a few years ago. I'll see what else good was in it. I've forgotten what all he included.

Doesn't TOG use the Hakim books? Any TOG users care to share what those notes & commentary are like?

I've been meaning to get back to this, but I don't have a real clear answer here.

Tapestry uses a lot less of Hakim than Sonlight. They select only some volumes and even inside those they don't read every chapter. I don't think they use any to cover mid to late 20th century. They also don't rely on them as the only thing to teach a time period.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband drew up a unit study on the Cold War a few years ago. I'll see what else good was in it. I've forgotten what all he included.

Anything else on this topic would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I struggle to get our kids to understand what a big deal it was and the huge impact it had on our generation. Not to mention the trial and utter failure of communism as a political system.