Menu

Trouble seeing at night -- night blindness? Or something else?

I hate driving at night. All lights (headlights, tail-lights, streetlights) look like expanding stars. I don't know how to explain this very well... like rays of light come out of all sides of the headlight, tail-light, etc. and the lights look smeary at the same time, like there's a film of oil over them. It also seems to me like my surroundings are very dark and the lights are blinding. It is difficult to tell how far ahead/behind me the other cars are since all of the lights are starry blurs.

I recently got new glasses and the problem seems worse, but it had been noticeable for a while before this.

Is this what night blindness is like? Or is this something else?

I will add that I am VERY nearsighted. Is night driving like this for others of you who are very nearsighted?

I have some type of anti-glare coating on my glasses that makes a HUGE difference!

Last winter, I could hardly drive in at night because of the glare around the lights - which is a real problem when you only have 6 hours of daylight! I complained about it to my eye dr. and she gave me the prescription for the anti-glare coating. I would go ask about it wherever you got your glasses made.

I have some type of anti-glare coating on my glasses that makes a HUGE difference!

I have anti-reflective coating on my glasses (both my new pair, and on the previous pair). Maybe there are different types? I can call the optician this week and ask.

My poor tired hubby has to do the night driving here - when dd works at the mall (Sears) and closes he has to pick her up as I can't make it up the two-lane, dark road to get there. I can do local if I have too, since I have the route memorized. I, too, have the star-halos around any bright lights - plus my depth perception seems to go at night. If I am facing more than one traffic light in a row on a road I can not tell until I am very close which one is the closest to me!