Menu

FREE classic curricula vs. Newer EXPENSIVE curricula

I am a NEW homeschooling mom. I just finished TYCR100EZ lessons with my son with success (in my book). I have been wavering back and forth between PR, AAS and other new curriculum vs. Wester's Speller and McGuffey's readers. I love the look and reviews of the new curricula, but I love the price and history behind the classics. Do you have any advice for this novice homeschool mom? Do you regret using newer curriculum? Do you regret using the classic curriculum? Please tell me about your experience. :bigear:

With a sig like "Centsable Lady" I say go for free. ;)

Seriously, I've found that all curriculum, regardless of cost, depends most on the teacher implementing it. The good ol' classics work really well and will give your children a good solid education.

I don't think I've ever regretted using a type of curriculum, classic or new, though I've certainly regretted a couple specific purchases. I think we've got a good mix of both on the shelves, and I just make our resources work for us.

Cat

I haven't ever tried using older stuff, but I've looked at it. It's mostly the ease of use that has drawn me to newer materials--how to use it/teach with it is spelled out for you in black and white (I'm not talking about scripted lessons, just explicit instructions). I haven't had the time or the desire to figure out how to use the older stuff. Plus, for it to be free I'd have to print it or use it from the computer, which would be a hassle. So I tend to stay away from the older stuff mostly because it's not as convenient. Plus, some of the newer things available really are excellent.

I haven't ever tried using older stuff, but I've looked at it. It's mostly the ease of use that has drawn me to newer materials--how to use it/teach with it is spelled out for you in black and white (I'm not talking about scripted lessons, just explicit instructions). I haven't had the time or the desire to figure out how to use the older stuff. Plus, for it to be free I'd have to print it or use it from the computer, which would be a hassle. So I tend to stay away from the older stuff mostly because it's not as convenient. Plus, some of the newer things available really are excellent.

:iagree: I've used Ray's Mathematics, McGuffey's Eclectic Speller, and Primary Language Lessons. I know people who have had wonderful success with all three, but they just didn't work for me, probably for the same reason. I just don't have time to sit and figure out exactly how to teach them. I personally much prefer the newer stuff, especially if it has CDs or DVDs to go along with it.

I do go through older books online through the free sites to look up different things, like spelling and grammar rules, just to make sure I'm covering everything.

I do tend to use a lot of free, older materials, and I really like them. I think there is good quality and bad quality stuff out there, both newer and older, so it really just depends. Thus far, we've done very well and have needed to spend very little, thanks to so many free, older items. I also don't mind taking the time to write out my own schedules and lesson plans, but ymmv.

While I have found a lot of free supplemental resources, I have not found one that actually provides everything I need to improve as a teacher, teach my students, and provide materials that will save me from copying my day away. I can combine several free things for this, but I also loose "ease of use" at that point. While, if I had a smaller family, that ease of use may matter less, as a teacher to 7, I need time savers nowadays just like I need air to breathe.

So far as 100EZL, I thought I had done my household a favor by using this inexpensive option, until 2 of 3 dc hit about 4th grade and I realized they could not read or spell as well as I thought. They decoded poorly, didn't know vowel teams, and their spelling was horrid. My $20 purchase gave me $20 results and over time, I have spent a whole lot more remediating in those areas. It wasn't until I found The Phonics Road that the remediation worked and the endless searching for a fix ceased.

PR is actually not a new program. Mrs. Beers designed and has sold this since she created it for her own children. She is now helping to home educate her grand children. It has recently come alive on this forum b/c I have a big mouth about things that work!

Either can work well, but you do need to factor in the real costs of the "free" curricula. Consider how much you will spend in monetary terms in printing out parts of it---how does that compare with finding a workbook to do the same thing, particularly if you can find it used? Printing at home in color adds up quickly, in b&w, not quite as fast. Then there's also the time factor sometimes in pulling together the materials like books from the library, websites, materials for supplies for experiments, etc. If you aren't planning to print out materials, how much online time are you comfortable with for your children as part of schoolwork? I know that I have issues with eye fatigue trying to read a lot of text online at a time. How proficient are they with keyboarding if they are filling in things online? Is the newer material something that can be reused for additional children or resold when you're done, so that the effective cost is lowered? If you're using it from the library, can you complete it in the checkout period or is that going to be a problem? Sometimes those outweigh the "free" of the older material for me.

Now don't get me wrong---I'm all for free!:D I just have to pick and choose which ones are worth it to me. Now that my daughter is a bit older (going into 6th grade), I'm looking at more free online options. We also bought a b&w laser (printing is cheaper) and my in-laws gave us an older Kindle (can download books and read without the eyestrain). I have buckled down to do more advance planning to make sure I know all the materials I need to gather and don't forget anything. I diligently shop our hs consignment store and attend used curriculum sales, plus utilize Paperback Swap, thrift stores, used bookstores and Amazon for used newer materials. Sometimes the expense of buying new is worth the savings in time or I need it now.

The very best advice I could give regarding the "free vs. expensive" debate is this---make sure you are comfortable with what you are teaching. Get a copy of TWTM. Read and reread it. Study it well. Understand the goals of each age group, then aim your studies in that direction. With that baseline, you can use any resources to achieve your goals, be they free or expensive. It's all in your preparation.

I wholeheartedly agree!

(I only wish that I owned an iPad to read them.)

Hey, I was thinking of you the other day, listening to something about how people are hacking color nooks to use it as an android-running tablet. The next version MAY have this built in.

I have found Librivox to be so helpful. Aside from the fact that my kids are getting exposed to rather antiquated/disturbing vocabulary (negress, anyone?! -- ugh), it's been great to have mp3s to listen to.