Menu

Help! Dd got a piece of her fingernail stuck in her gums!

Bizarre, I know, and hopefully it will teach her to not bite them anymore.

But, she is terrified of Dr.'s, dentists, you name it. I can't even see it; but she felt it get stuck, and it is all white where it must have gone in. I hope it'll work itself out when she eats, or maybe I'll have her chew some gum.

Has anyone else had this happen? She's eating an apple, and says it's still there & hurts.:confused:

My DS has done this 3 or 4 times! He's not even conscious of biting his nails, and he always sobs when he realizes he's done it again. DH has been able to get it out with a dental pick a few times, but once the dentist had to get it out. It will get infected if you don't get it out, so if you or DH can't get it with tweezers or a dental pick, then the dentist will have to do it. Whatever you do, don't just leave it in there and hope it will eventually come out ~ she will get a nasty gum infection.

Jackie

I have had this happen with popcorn pieces.

I would swish extra hard with a 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide/water mixture three or four times a day. Make SURE your dd knows not to swallow the Hydrogen Peroxide mixture---- just swish and spit. This usually works for me~~the popcorn pieces are normally so low under the gum that I can't see a thing, but it feels like something *huge is under there.

If this happened to one of my kids, I'd try swishing and I'd give it a day or two and if it didn't feel/look better, I'd call the dentist (also call ASAP if it starts looking worse). I agree that I wouldn't wait too long, as an infection could be nasty.

Good luck!

My DS has done this 3 or 4 times! He's not even conscious of biting his nails, and he always sobs when he realizes he's done it again. DH has been able to get it out with a dental pick a few times, but once the dentist had to get it out. It will get infected if you don't get it out, so if you or DH can't get it with tweezers or a dental pick, then the dentist will have to do it. Whatever you do, don't just leave it in there and hope it will eventually come out ~ she will get a nasty gum infection.

Jackie

Great, just great. She has a total Dr. phobia. We do go to the dentist every 6 mos. but it's been a real gentle process so far.

Dumb question, but how will we know if it has come out? I can't even see it, and she says it hurts, but it might hurt just from having been in there, and from us poking at the gums. I don't want to wait, but I don't want to take her if it's not in there anymore.

And of course, dh is out of town until Friday.:sad:

Dumb question, but how will we know if it has come out? I can't even see it, and she says it hurts, but it might hurt just from having been in there, and from us poking at the gums. I don't want to wait, but I don't want to take her if it's not in there anymore.

When I get pieces of popcorn kernels stuck in my teeth, I can feel the pain & pressure from it until it comes out. Then there's little to no hurt. If it still hurts her, it's probably still there.

If you do end up going to the dentist, don't forget that they can do all sorts of numbing things. They can totally numb the area with stuff they gob on the gums, and then, yes, there is a shot of Novocain, but you can't feel it if the gobbed on stuff has numbed the area. It's more the idea of it.

If they give her a shot of novocain, do your best not to let her see (or know) that it's a needle (albeit a little short one.) Sometimes it's the *idea of what they're doing that freaks people out, not the actual pain (since there often isn't any.)

Or ask about laughing gas.