Menu

TWTM 10th anniversary edition...what's the difference...

What's the difference between the last edition and the 10th anniv. ed?

I have the oldest version, our library carries the 2009 ed. Would I want to purchase the 10th anniv. ed? Is there much difference?

is there much difference between that very first edition and the 2009 edition?

Is the 2009 the same as the Anniv. ed?

Sorry so many questions. Just wondering which one of the many editions to purchase of if I should just stick with my old one. :001_smile:

I've bought each edition as it's been released and have considered them worth every penny.

To answer your questions, IMO significant changes in resource/curricula recommendations were made between the 1st and 2nd editions.

This week dh let me out of the zoo for an entire day so I could peruse the 3rd edition. I went to a local coffee shop and bought latte after latte, then lunch. I especially appreciated seeing additions and clarifications that were made in the logic history chapter and rhetoric great books chapter.

If you are serious about using WTM recommendations and you have children in the logic and/or rhetoric stages and you can afford it, I think you'll find this new edition worth the investment.

I've bought each edition as it's been released and have considered them worth every penny.

To answer your questions, IMO significant changes in resource/curricula recommendations were made between the 1st and 2nd editions.

If you are serious about using WTM recommendations ... I think you'll find this new edition worth the investment.

:iagree: I have all three editions and wouldn't part with any of them willingly. :-)

I've wondered this same thing. I didn't read the first edition, but I have the 2nd edition all marked up well! :) I'm still debating on forking over the money for a new edition!

Considering the ages of your dc, I don't think you'd regret it at all. In the logic stage history chapter she added quite a bit more detail on teaching outlining, changed her recommendations for supplemental outlining help, and suggested alternate texts. In the high school great books chapter she added suggestions for studying history and changed her recommended history texts for each year. The additions to those two chapters alone were worth the price of the book for me.

ETA: She also recommended some supplements for a 5th grader still struggling with summary writing. I think they'll be exactly what one of my dd needs. And, I really like the looks of the updated science resource lists.

Edited by Luann in ID

Considering the ages of your dc, I don't think you'd regret it at all. In the logic stage history chapter she added quite a bit more detail on teaching outlining, changed her recommendations for supplemental outlining help, and suggested alternate texts. In the high school great books chapter she added suggestions for teaching history and changed her recommended texts for each year. The additions to those two chapters alone were worth the price of the book for me.

ETA: She also recommended some supplements for a 5th grader still struggling with summary writing. I think they'll be exactly what one of my dd needs. And, I really like the looks of the updated science resource lists.

Luann, You should get a commission! :lol: I think you've talked me into buying it! Maybe I can convince my dh that's what I want for Mother's Day, and I'm okay waiting until tomorrow (Monday) to get it! :D

Luann, You should get a commission! :lol: I think you've talked me into buying it! Maybe I can convince my dh that's what I want for Mother's Day, and I'm okay waiting until tomorrow (Monday) to get it! :D

LOL. I was in such a funk over not going to the conference, and when the book came and I couldn't find a quiet minute to read it, I was really started throwing a pity party for myself. Dh was so upset with me for not telling him about the conference. He would have been very happy for me to go, but I kept thinking everything would fall apart here if I left for a few days, so I never even told him about it. Going out all day Wednesday to read the book was my consolation -- it wasn't the conference, but it was enough to get me excited and motivated again. They added a lot of information in areas that I had had questions about and so the book hit the spot for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather in WI viewpost.gif

:iagree: I have all three editions and wouldn't part with any of them willingly. :-)

Me too. :001_smile:

Me too. :001_smile:

Add me to this list. :D

Dh was so upset with me for not telling him about the conference. He would have been very happy for me to go

And I would love to have met you! I've always enjoyed reading your posts. And I think you may be talking me into buying the 3rd edition. I only got quick glimpses of it at the conf.. My library is getting it in, but it's not here yet. And Susan said a couple of times that the changes were mostly curric./book lists, but I think those logic stage outlining/history and rhetoric stage GB sections you mentioned might be really useful to me, even though I heard all her lectures. Thanks!

I was a library reader myself until we moved somewhere they don't have it. I decided i would buy the new edition when we visitied this year but had unexpected bills and lost my budget! I replaced my Fanny Farmer cookbook only ( It was too hard to find all the loose pages and unstick the others!)

Well, dh went back over for family reasons and he bought the new edition for me!!!! Can't wait. He never read it and is astonished at how much is in there. He says it is incredible. Six more days. To see him again of course!;)

A good friend of mine bought the new (anniversary) edition at the VA conference, and I was GREEN with envy! I have the first edition, all marked up and full of sticky-notes, and would love to buy the new one (despite only having 2 kids left at home).

I take it you would say it's worth it?

I feel like a pioneer, having bought the first edition when it first came out! Got the second from the library and didn't notice enough of a difference to warrant purchasing it. But this one . . .

I'm wondering if the section where she describes outlining is different or better in her new edition. I have the first one.

Different, and MUCH better. Much more detailed, hand holding in how to teach it. It has basic questions you can use, too, to help a child think his way through each outline level of each paragraph. That section alone, IMO, is worth the price of the book to me!