Menu

Where can I find a source for vocabulary words used in good/great literature?

I prefer a free online source. :)

I make up sentences for my vocabulary lists and I like these to come from good literature. I've tried sample sentences from the dictionaries online, but those are hit-and-miss to find. Online is good because it's quick.

Any ideas?

I think I saw that Simply Charlotte Mason sells something...let me see....

Here it is. Spelling Wisdom.

"Incorporates more than 12,500 words, including 6,000 most frequently used words in the English language."

and

"Presents beautiful and fascinating ideas from great men and women of history that encourage and motivate children as they learn to spell the words."

It's not free (not hardly!) but you can get it as a PDF download.

Edited by stripe

Here's what I found, I hope it works for you. :) I wasn't sure what grades you were looking for. Just click on the book title and the words come up.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:bjJ1mZ9Ki3IJ:www.vocabulary.com/classic.html+vocabulary+words+with+great+literature&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Oh, I re-read your question. Were you looking for the sentences that contained those vocabulary words, or just the words?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...do you mean you want the words, or the sentences?

You can try www.bartleby.com -- it's like having the Bartlett Quotations book right there. You can search by typing in the word you want and it will show quotations. Also, it's free. But there are ads.